Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jerry Falwell, Jr. vs. Jesus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Falwell, Jr. vs. Jesus

Jerry Falwell, Jr.:

A poor person never gave anybody charity, not of any real volume
    https://www.newsweek.com/evangelical...r-says-1276488

Jesus:
    Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”
    I wish the media would stop giving this guy airtime to speak for Christianity.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Jerry Falwell, Jr.:

https://www.newsweek.com/evangelical...r-says-1276488

Jesus:

I wish the media would stop giving this guy airtime to speak for Christianity.
    I've never had much use for the Falwells. They would be better served sticking to preaching the Gospel message.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah, but he's a useful idiot, so...
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the Falwells, but if you read the original WaPo article instead of the Fakenewsweek spun version, it comes across differently. I don't find his views there objectionable.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          I'm not a fan of the Falwells, but if you read the original WaPo article instead of the Fakenewsweek spun version, it comes across differently. I don't find his views there objectionable.
          I can't read the Washington Post. Paywall.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Really? Huh. I wonder how I got in. I never pay for access.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Please don't cross the quarantine
              "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                Really? Huh. I wonder how I got in. I never pay for access.
                Do you access it from work or school? Like KG it's firmly ensconced behind a paywall for me

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Do you access it from work or school? Like KG it's firmly ensconced behind a paywall for me
                  I've found that a number of sites will allow you in a couple to half a dozen times, then start shaking you done for cash.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Here's the relevant part:

Source: WaPo

Is it hypocritical for evangelical leaders to support a leader who has advocated violence and who has committed adultery and lies often? I understand that a person can be forgiven their sins, but should that person be leading the country?

When Jesus said we’re all sinners, he really meant all of us, everybody. I don’t think you can choose a president based on their personal behavior because even if you choose the one that you think is the most decent — let’s say you decide Mitt Romney. Nobody could be a more decent human being, better family man. But there might be things that he’s done that we just don’t know about. So you don’t choose a president based on how good they are; you choose a president based on what their policies are. That’s why I don’t think it’s hypocritical.

There’s two kingdoms. There’s the earthly kingdom and the heavenly kingdom. In the heavenly kingdom the responsibility is to treat others as you’d like to be treated. In the earthly kingdom, the responsibility is to choose leaders who will do what’s best for your country. Think about it. Why have Americans been able to do more to help people in need around the world than any other country in history? It’s because of free enterprise, freedom, ingenuity, entrepreneurism and wealth. A poor person never gave anyone a job. A poor person never gave anybody charity, not of any real volume. It’s just common sense to me.

© Copyright Original Source

He's not talking about giving to the church or the Lord. He's talking about having the means to help more people in a practical manner and doing so.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      Here's the relevant part:

Source: WaPo

Is it hypocritical for evangelical leaders to support a leader who has advocated violence and who has committed adultery and lies often? I understand that a person can be forgiven their sins, but should that person be leading the country?

When Jesus said we’re all sinners, he really meant all of us, everybody. I don’t think you can choose a president based on their personal behavior because even if you choose the one that you think is the most decent — let’s say you decide Mitt Romney. Nobody could be a more decent human being, better family man. But there might be things that he’s done that we just don’t know about. So you don’t choose a president based on how good they are; you choose a president based on what their policies are. That’s why I don’t think it’s hypocritical.

There’s two kingdoms. There’s the earthly kingdom and the heavenly kingdom. In the heavenly kingdom the responsibility is to treat others as you’d like to be treated. In the earthly kingdom, the responsibility is to choose leaders who will do what’s best for your country. Think about it. Why have Americans been able to do more to help people in need around the world than any other country in history? It’s because of free enterprise, freedom, ingenuity, entrepreneurism and wealth. A poor person never gave anyone a job. A poor person never gave anybody charity, not of any real volume. It’s just common sense to me.

© Copyright Original Source

He's not talking about giving to the church or the Lord. He's talking about having the means to help more people in a practical manner and doing so.
                      I don't see any problem with this...
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The context doesn't exonerate him at all. The mindset of minimizing or dismissing such acts is what Jesus spoke against. Having spent time with the poor/homeless and having experienced poverty, I know that poor people can be some of the most generous people out there, and I have seen real selflessness from them. Falwell says there is "no volume" to their actions.

Comment

The context doesn't exonerate him at all. The mindset of minimizing or dismissing such acts is what Jesus spoke against. Having spent time with the poor/homeless and having experienced poverty, I know that poor people can be some of the most generous people out there, and I have seen real selflessness from them. Falwell says there is "no volume" to their actions.
                          I have to concur --- I quite frequently see acts of kindness and selflessness from people who really have, basically, nothing. I'll add that the context in which I see this is almost always in a "Christian" setting - like our homeless shelters or help stations.

Comment

Yes it does. He's speaking of secular governments, not individual generosity. A poor government simply can't help its poor citizens. That's basic economic fact.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              Yes it does. He's speaking of secular governments, not individual generosity. A poor government simply can't help its poor citizens. That's basic economic fact.
                              I had a pastor friend once who was constantly leading his church to "local missions" stuff - food pantries, homeless shelters, 'bread ministries' -- to the detriment of the congregation's ability to pay their own basic bills like electricity and water.

He asked my advice on this, and I told him it's like launching sorties off an aircraft carrier --- the planes have to have a solid platform to come back to, and from which to receive supplies and support. If you don't maintain the carrier, all the sorties are in jeopardy. They can't refuel, rearm...

He actually was 'teachable', and began to realize --- in fact, he even introduced the analogy "like when they tell you on the airplane to put your oxygen mask on first, THEN help the child or person in need...."

Eventually, he became the "missions pastor" for a larger local Church where somebody could 'guide' his efforts. He had a good heart, but not much practical management.

Comment