X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Plunge: Slavery, Abolitionism, and the Ethics of Biblical Scholarship

Does Avalos have a case?

Link

Avalos also asks why the New Testament never commanded the release of slaves. There's a quite good reason. I think such would have led to insurrection and Christianity would have been a movement about freeing the slaves largely and thus shut down so it could do no good. Christianity worked from the bottom up and not the other way around.
    Part of the tenuous situation of Jews in Rome consisted of the interest of many Jewish groups to rise up against the Roman Empire. The followers of Christ were distinguished from such Jews in that the Christians were instructed to lead a quiet life and to flee Jerusalem when troubles started arising there. Also, Rom 13 instructed the believers in Rome in similar fashion.

There are scholars who interpret the Romans letter as being anti-Empire. But such theory seems to speak contrary to Paul's admonitions in Rom 13 ... and against Paul's focus of reconciling Jews and Gentiles in Rome. The main point here is that if the Christians were demonstrably anti-Empire, via a position against slavery (as part of the manner of government control over the population), the Christians would have been targeted for destruction by the government.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      Originally posted by Nick Peters
      Avalos also asks why the New Testament never commanded the release of slaves. There's a quite good reason. I think such would have led to insurrection and Christianity would have been a movement about freeing the slaves largely and thus shut down so it could do no good. Christianity worked from the bottom up and not the other way around.
      The main point here is that if the Christians were demonstrably anti-Empire, via a position against slavery (as part of the manner of government control over the population), the Christians would have been targeted for destruction by the government.
      Though we may note Paul's admonition to Philemon to free Onesimus, apparently his counsel here was against slavery.

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment