Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Mark 10:45...a ransom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark 10:45...a ransom

Mark 10:45

New International Version
    For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

What is the meaning in Greek for ransom?

Thanks.

Check out https://biblehub.com/greek/3083.htm
    When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
      Excellent. Thank you.

Comment

John 8
        31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 33 They answered him, “We are offspring of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone. How is it that you say, ‘You will become free’?” 34 Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin. (ESV)

With the fourth gospel, we see that the distinction was between being a slave to sin or being free in Christ. The fourth gospel clarifies that Jews (at least as the original audience) were slaves to sin. Paul later shares this same message to Roman Gentiles in Romans 6. We basically see the parallel shift of status found in the Roman Empire -- where someone moves from slave status to freeman or to citizen status.

The ransom then isn't focused on a payment 'to' someone (as is found in some theories on 'ransom') but on the act of freeing people from the slave state.

Comment

It may be worth looking at the OT background of the verse as well. And is the verse a saying of Jesus, or a comment of the Evangelist ?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X