Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Democrat reintroduces impeachment articles against Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Yeah... Trump is still going to finish his term and very likely win a second.
    "Yes" to the former..."we'll see" to the latter. If all he continues to do is rally his base...it won't look good.

Personally I think the House should formally begin impeachment investigations. With any luck, they will stretch into next October and uncover much of the dirt many of us suspect exists with this president. His shady business dealings and almost totally absent moral compass make it very unlikely (IMO) that he can be in the most powerful office in the land and NOT be leveraging it for his own ends. He is clearly profiting from his presidency even as he IS the president, creating all sorts of potential conflicts of interest.

Meanwhile, there is little surprise how little concern he has for the growing federal deficit. After all, why would a man who specializes in taking out massive loans and then defaulting on them care one fig about a massive loan, especially when dealing with it will be someone else's headache.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      "Yes" to the former..."we'll see" to the latter. If all he continues to do is rally his base...it won't look good.

Personally I think the House should formally begin impeachment investigations. With any luck, they will stretch into next October and uncover much of the dirt many of us suspect exists with this president. His shady business dealings and almost totally absent moral compass make it very unlikely (IMO) that he can be in the most powerful office in the land and NOT be leveraging it for his own ends. He is clearly profiting from his presidency even as he IS the president, creating all sorts of potential conflicts of interest.

Meanwhile, there is little surprise how little concern he has for the growing federal deficit. After all, why would a man who specializes in taking out massive loans and then defaulting on them care one fig about a massive loan, especially when dealing with it will be someone else's headache.
      Glad to see you've come around to endorsing impeachment, carpe. What was it changed your mind?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Glad to see you've come around to endorsing impeachment, carpe. What was it changed your mind?
        My mind on this issue has not changed, Jim, AFAIK. I think I've said for a while now that I think impeachment investigations should begin. I don't think (and have never thought) a House vote on impeachment should happen until those investigations conclude. In the best of all worlds, those investigations will turn up enough dirt to sink Trump in the 2020 election, eliminating the need for impeachment. After the election, any evidence can be turned over the the appropriate agency to move towards indictment and prosecution (if warranted). If he is re-elected, and the evidence is adequate to justify it, an impeachment vote can be held after the election.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

If the Dems continue to push their party further and further left so that Obama looks like a freakin right wing conservative...
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            If the Dems continue to push their party further and further left so that Obama looks like a freakin right wing conservative...
            ...Trumpslide 2.0, carped 'impeach him by 2024!!!! We will seeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'
            Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

CP, the GOP shifted massively to the right with the emergence of the T-party, and it hasn't destroyed the party. Indeed, it set the stage for the emergence of Trump. To every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. The Demo shift to the left was predictable. But I was fascinated by the debates, as I listened to the various voices, noting that five of the six top candidates are pretty far left, but most of the lower-tier candidates are more moderate, as is Biden. So here's my Dem prediction: As the lower-tier candidates inevitably abandon their candidacy, their constituents will shift to those most like the "quitting" candidate. In time, most of these will end up with Biden. Biden will win the nomination, and then select one of the other (more left) candidates as his VP, setting the stage for them (the VP) to run again (for president) in 2024 from a stronger position. This, of course, assumes Biden is planning to be a one-term president (given his age). I'm not sure who would be the best choice, but Harris or Warren might be good choices. Once Biden has a more-left VP, the rest of the Dems will rally because their hatred for Trump will drive them to avoid the 2016 scenario. And most of the candidates have publicly affirmed the Indivisible Candidate Pledge, including ALL of the front runners. I think you're going to find more unity than you anticipate.

What remains an open question is what happens to the moderates. Polling suggests Trump is losing more than enough of them to fail to gain the White House. His margin in 2016 was a squeaky one. But we're 15 months before the election - which is an eternity. So.... we'll see.
              Last edited by carpedm9587; 08-03-2019, 07:23 AM.

Comment

CP, the GOP shifted massively to the right with the emergence of the T-party, and it hasn't destroyed the party. Indeed, it set the stage for the emergence of Trump. To every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. The Demo shift to the left was predictable. But I was fascinated by the debates, as I listened to the various voices, noting that five of the six top candidates are pretty far left, but most of the lower-tier candidates are more moderate, as is Biden. So here's my Dem prediction: As the lower-tier candidates inevitably abandon their candidacy, their constituents will shift to those most like the "quitting" candidate. In time, most of these will end up with Biden. Biden will win the nomination, and then select one of the other (more left) candidates as his VP, setting the stage for them (the VP) to run again (for president) in 2024 from a stronger position. This, of course, assumes Biden is planning to be a one-term president (given his age). I'm not sure who would be the best choice, but Harris or Warren might be good choices. Once Biden has a more-left VP, the rest of the Dems will rally because their hatred for Trump will drive them to avoid the 2016 scenario. And most of the candidates have publicly affirmed the Indivisible Candidate Pledge, including ALL of the front runners. I think you're going to find more unity than you anticipate.

What remains an open question is what happens to the moderates. Polling suggests Trump is losing more than enough of them to fail to gain the White House. His margin in 2016 was a squeaky one. But we're 15 months before the election - which is an eternity. So.... we'll see.
                You remember, of course, Trump's "chances" prior to the last presidential election, no doubt.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You remember, of course, Trump's "chances" prior to the last presidential election, no doubt.
                  And we definitely hope you guys keep thinking that way...

Comment

And we definitely hope you guys keep thinking that way...
                    Thinking what way, Mr "I don't like it when people pretend to read my mind"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Thinking what way, Mr "I don't like it when people pretend to read my mind"?
                      This way:

Which isn't mind reading, unless you managed to write it without thinking it?

Comment