Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Who raised Jesus from the dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who raised Jesus from the dead?

Who raised Jesus from the dead?

God did:

"In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands...by the circumcision of Christ, buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. (Colossians 2:11-12)

"He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you who through Him believe in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God." (1 Peter 1:20-21)

"And God both raised up the Lord and will also raise us up by His power." (1 Corinthians 6:14)

"Him, being delivered by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God, you have taken by lawless hands, have crucified, and put to death; whom God raised up, having loosed the pains of death, because it was not possible that He should be held by it." (Acts 2:23-24)

"But you denied the Holy One and the Just, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, and killed the Prince of life, whom God raised from the dead, of which we are witnesses." (Acts 3:14-15)

"But God raised Him from the dead. He was seen for many days by those who came up with Him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are His witnesses to the people. And we declare to you glad tidings -- that promise which was made to the fathers. God has fulfilled this for us their children, in that He has raised up Jesus...And that He raised Him from the dead, no more to return to corruption, He has spoken thus: 'I will give you the sure mercies of David.'...For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell asleep, was buried with his fathers, and saw corruption; but He whom God raised up saw no corruption." (Acts 13:30-37)

"Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete in every good work to do His will..." (Hebrews 13:20-21)

Jesus did:

"Jesus answered and said to them, 'Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.' Then the Jews said, 'It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?' But He was speaking of the temple of His body. Therefore, when He had risen from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this to them; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had said." (John 2:19-22)

"Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father." (John 10:17-18)

The Holy Spirit did:

"But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you." (Romans 8:11)

How can these Scriptures be reconciled?

Thank you.

The Trinity. duh.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      The Trinity. duh.
      That was my conclusion as well, but it still does not explain that Jesus would raise Himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
        That was my conclusion as well, but it still does not explain that Jesus would raise Himself.
        Sure it does...Jesus is a member of the Godhead and therefore able to make claims such as this...

I'm not sure how you could be confused on this TBH...
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

It may help to recognize Jesus as 100% man and %100 God.

In this sense, we might differentiate the human body (which couldn't raise itself, when looking at normal biological processes) from Jesus' divine essence (He being divinity), which is capable of raising the dead.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            It may help to recognize Jesus as 100% man and %100 God.
            Yes, this is the standard doctrine of the Church known as the Hypostatic Union, it has been considered mainstream orthodoxy since the 5th Century. One glosses over the fact that it is logical nonsense.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              The Trinity. duh.
              So does god have 3 souls, one for each member of the trinity? How does that work?

Comment

Does this make sense?

https://carm.org/jesus-raise-himself

Did Jesus raise Himself from the grave or did God do it?
                by Brad Huston

Before this question can be addressed directly, we must first agree upon what we mean when we say “God,” and we must agree upon the nature of Jesus. Jesus is, by His very nature, God (Phil. 2:6). “God” is not a person but a title given to the divine nature. There is only one God (Deut. 6:4, Is. 44:6)--one divine nature. However, God exists in three persons, the Trinity. The first person of the Trinity, whom Jesus called the Father, is often referred to as “God,” and rightly so--the Father is God (1 Pet. 1:2-3). However, people often confuse the title “God” as referring only to the Father. The second and third persons of the Trinity, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit are also God (Heb. 1:8, Acts 5:3-4). So, there is one God existing in three persons. These persons are all distinct (Matt. 3:16-17). They are all equally God. The divine nature cannot be subdivided; God’s nature is infinite--infinity cannot be subtracted from or added to.

Though there is one God in three persons, the person of Jesus Christ has two natures. He has the divine nature (as previously demonstrated), but He also has a human nature and is fully human. He was born (Matt. 2:1) and took on human flesh (John 1:14). He suffered physically and emotionally (Heb. 5:7-8). Even after His ascension, He is called “man” (1 Tim. 2:5-6). So, Jesus could operate out of His human nature or His divine nature. As a man, He ate (Luke 24:42-43). As God, He calmed the storm (Matt. 8:26). So, while Christ’s body was dead, He remained alive (since God cannot die). This should not be a great surprise since human souls remain while the body decays (2 Cor. 5:8). Jesus’ human soul remained in the way that all human souls do, while His divine substance remained unchanged (Mal. 3:6, Heb. 13:8).

So, would it have been possible that Jesus through His divine nature even while His human body lay dead could have displayed His power through resurrection? Absolutely. Jesus, speaking of His body said, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” (John 2:19) Certainly, it was “God” who raised His body (Rom. 10:9, 1 Pet. 1:21), and Jesus is God. But Scripture also teaches that the Father raised Him (Gal. 1:1; Eph. 1:17, 20). Even the Holy Spirit is said to have raised Him (Romans 8:11). So, the act of raising Jesus from the dead was not the operation merely of one person within the Trinity but was a cooperative act done by the power of the divine substance. The fact that the Bible teaches that God raised Jesus from the dead and that Jesus raised Himself is yet another testament to Christ’s divinity.

Comment

Christian, why do you post a thread like this in Apologetics? If you only want believer input, it is better to post in Christianity.

Here you have to put up with atheist trolls who really have no sincere interest in your questions.

If you want the peanut gallery chiming in, as they have already done so here, then carry on.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    Christian, why do you post a thread like this in Apologetics? If you only want believer input, it is better to post in Christianity.

Here you have to put up with atheist trolls who really have no sincere interest in your questions.

If you want the peanut gallery chiming in, as they have already done so here, then carry on.
                    Maybe, unlike you, he isn't afraid of non-believers input. Maybe, unlike you, he is actually thinking about these questions rather than just blindly accepting what's been poured into the porches of his ears.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Maybe, unlike you, he isn't afraid of non-believers input. Maybe, unlike you, he is actually thinking about these questions rather than just blindly accepting what's been poured into the porches of his ears.
                      You're only here to denigrate and blaspheme, Jim. As proven by your other thread in here that showed you had no real desire to do anything else.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

Comment

You're only here to denigrate and blaspheme, Jim. As proven by your other thread in here that showed you had no real desire to do anything else.
                          Calling out nonsensical beliefs for what they are, i.e. nonsense, is not denigrating and blaspheming. It's holding people accountable for their words or actions based upon these beliefs.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                            Yes, this is the standard doctrine of the Church known as the Hypostatic Union, it has been considered mainstream orthodoxy since the 5th Century. One glosses over the fact that it is logical nonsense.
                            It depends on what one means by "100% God and 100% human". I take it to mean that Jesus has 100% of the qualities necessary to be God, and 100% of the qualities necessary to be human.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Why don't you just answer the question mossrose instead of being so defensive all the time. Are the 3 persons of the trinity each a separate soul? I mean Jesus was a soul, a spirit in a material body, right? So is the Father and the holy ghost separate spirits as well? Just wondering how christians think that works.

Comment