Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Who raised Jesus from the dead?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Yes

No. If you are going to make this analogy - it is like noting that human limbs have a length that is approximately proportionate to the length of the human torso and head combined. Or it is analogous to noting that human limbs do not extend endlessly - they are finite. That is a description of an attribute we HAVE - not a description of an attribute we do NOT have. I am describing human sentience: it is limited.
    As I already said, our sentience being limited is not a necessary quality of being a human, it just happens to be all-pervasive (with the notable exception of one individual, if you happen to believe the hypostatic union is correct). You claiming that it's a defining trait of a human is just question-begging. Sentience is a defining trait of a human, it being limited is not.

Then your definition of "human" includes attributes no human has ever had in the history of humanity, so you appear to be adding/removing attributes in order to make your case.
    There is absolutely nothing about what I've written so far that would give you justification to draw those conclusions. You're just making stuff up out of thin air.

So we have to assume Christian preconceptions are true in order to accept Christian tenets. And you see that as not "circular" or "begging the question?" Sorry, Chrawnus, but I think your reasoning has jumped the rails here. You are starting with your conclusions.
    No, it's not circular, because we're not discussing whether the doctrine of hypostatic union is true, we're discussing whether or not it's contradictory in the context of an otherwise Christian, or atleast theistic, worldview.

Of course the hypostatic union doesn't make sense if you're looking at it from an atheistic point of view, that's obvious to anyone with half a brain. In the first place the question of whether or not the hypostatic union is contradictory or not is completely irrelevant from an atheistic point of view.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Yes, we're not omniscient "because we're not God", we're 'man'. One cannot logically be both omniscient (which is God) and not omniscient (which is man) at one and the same time. This is the logical dilemma of the Hypostatic Union.
    As I already said, I don't accept "not omniscient" as a necessary trait of being human. Your logical dilemma exists solely because you're begging the question.