Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Who raised Jesus from the dead?

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    It depends on what one means by "100% God and 100% human". I take it to mean that Jesus has 100% of the qualities necessary to be God, and 100% of the qualities necessary to be human.
    Hence Jesus is simultaneously 'fully God' and 'fully Man', i.e. a logical contradiction.
    Reluctant as I am do take MM's side over yours, having all the qualities necessary to be <something> is not the same as being fully <something>.

A wedge of hard cheese has all the qualities necessary to be a doorstop, but is not fully a doorstop.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Reluctant as I am do take MM's side over yours, having all the qualities necessary to be <something> is not the same as being fully <something>.

A wedge of hard cheese has all the qualities necessary to be a doorstop, but is not fully a doorstop.
    I am fully a man and fully a US Citizen and fully a human being.

You just can't be two different things in the same way at the same time.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post

True, but MM’s understanding re "necessary qualities” is not the standard doctrine of the ‘hypostatic union’ which states unequivocally that Jesus Christ is one Person, fully God and fully man. It is a logical contradiction or paradox and recognized as such in theology. Kierkegaard said: “this paradox can only be resolved by a leap of faith away from one's understanding and reason towards belief in God; thus, the paradox of the hypostatic union was crucial to an abiding faith in the Christian God”. Philosophical Fragments, cited Wiki.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    True, but MM’s understanding re "necessary qualities” is not the standard doctrine of the ‘hypostatic union’ which states unequivocally that Jesus Christ is one Person, fully God and fully man.
    If you're arguing against the standard doctrine, not MM's understanding, then you're engaged in attacking a
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassmoron View Post
    Hence Jesus is simultaneously 'fully God' and 'fully Man', i.e. a logical contradiction.
    Not what I said. Rather, I would say that Jesus is essentially God and essentially human.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Not what I said. Rather, I would say that Jesus is essentially God and essentially human.
    Well the standard doctrine of the ‘hypostatic union’ states unequivocally that Jesus Christ is one Person, simultaneously fully God and fully man. Is that what you are arguing?
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Which, like most of what you think, doesn't make any sense at all.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassmoron View Post
    Well the standard doctrine of the ‘hypostatic union’ states unequivocally that Jesus Christ is one Person, simultaneously fully God and fully man. Is that what you are arguing?
    I'm arguing what I'm arguing. Get a parent or older mentor to help you read through my posts if you're having difficulty with comprehension.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm arguing what I'm arguing. Get a parent or older mentor to help you read through my posts if you're having difficulty with comprehension.
    Well the standard doctrine of the ‘hypostatic union’ states unequivocally that Jesus Christ is one Person, simultaneously fully God and fully man. If, as it seems, this is what you are arguing then your argument is a logical contradiction.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well the standard doctrine of the ‘hypostatic union’ states unequivocally that Jesus Christ is one Person, simultaneously fully God and fully man. If, as it seems, this is what you are arguing ...
    It's not, not does it seem to be.

You're losing to a rug.