Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

National Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Which allows for the possibility that, at times, it's not.

"clinging to the claim"?

Carpe, a used car salesman can tell me that his intentions are pure, but I know better than to take him at his word --- there's that old expression "your actions speak so loud I can't hear what you're saying".

And THIS!!!!! You always gotta throw in the gripe, and speak your mind, then hand wave it away as insignificant. If it's so insignificant, why do you address it at all?

I think you are a very confused and conflicted man.
    You're opinion is duly noted. I'd prefer to return to the original discussion, and let you carry on about my intentions. If you have anything further on the employment and minimum wage issue, I'll respond. Concerning my intentions, last word to you.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      You're opinion is duly noted. I'd prefer to return to the original discussion, and let you carry on about my intentions. So last word to you.
      No, no, no.... please feel free to have the last word! I insist!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        No, no, no.... please feel free to have the last word! I insist!
        No thanks
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

It continues to amaze me how people on this site can "read someone's mind and intentions" and insist they have it right, when they have actually no way of knowing. But it certainly happens a lot.
          I have yet to see anyone, anywhere, say "your opinion is noted" and proceed to seriously address it. From here, it looks like a handwave/dismissal. Feel free to "note" this (or not).
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            I have yet to see anyone, anywhere, say "your opinion is noted" and proceed to seriously address it. From here, it looks like a handwave/dismissal. Feel free to "note" this (or not).
            I have no clue what this mean...or how it applies to the discussion.

Comment

Fascinating.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Fascinating.
                That response doesn't do a lot to help me understand your point.

Comment

It means that when someone says, "your opinion is noted" that is shorthand for "I heard you and I am dismissing it" - in other words "handwaving it away"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    It means that when someone says, "your opinion is noted" that is shorthand for "I heard you and I am dismissing it" - in other words "handwaving it away"
                    Ahh... I see.

Yes - when someone states an opinion for something they cannot know - and insists they are right - there isn't much more to do than to note the opinion and move on. An attempt at rational discussion is not going to change anything. So if someone tells me what my motivation is - and I know it's not right - but they insist it is - there isn't much else to be said.

If that is "handwaving" - so be it. There are worse problems in life.

And this entire discussion has received far too much attention. I need to be better at letting people make their judgments and just letting it be. Discussing it is pointless.

Comment

Ahh... I see.

Yes - when someone states an opinion for something they cannot know - and insists they are right - there isn't much more to do than to note the opinion and move on. An attempt at rational discussion is not going to change anything. So if someone tells me what my motivation is - and I know it's not right - but they insist it is - there isn't much else to be said.

And this entire discussion has received far too much attention. I need to be better at letting people make their judgments and just letting it be. Discussing it is pointless.
                      Have you noticed that you routinely do the very things you get frustrated at others doing? You "read minds" like when you said I was calling poor people "lazy and shiftless" - you use anectdotal evidence when it suits you but when others do it you say it's a single example and doesn't count. You state your opinions all the time without any evidence and yet when others do it you just dismiss them and go on. And then when you can't ignore them any longer you make a frustrated fart and say "well, this is pointless! I will let you have the last word" until they try to have the last word then you can't help but stick your nose right back into the discussion.

Look in the mirror sometimes, Carp.

Comment

Have you noticed that you routinely do the very things you get frustrated at others doing? You "read minds" like when you said I was calling poor people "lazy and shiftless" -
                        If you go back to the discussion, you will note that I acknowledged they were my words - and pointed out that you picked them up and added "involved with drugs or gangs" as the other alternative. Nowhere, in any of your posts, did I find any reflection of even so much as one person who could be truly trapped in the cycle of poverty and in need of help/support. Indeed, you message from start to end was "if they want to, they can get out," the implication being that if they are not out - they obviously don't want to. Review yiour own posts, Sparko - and show me where that observation is incorrect. My posts are based on what you SAID - not what you were THINKING or what motivated you.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        you use anectdotal evidence when it suits you but when others do it you say it's a single example and doesn't count.
                        Following on the above observation - if someone is speaking in a manner that suggests that a thing doesn't exist (i.e., people truly trapped in poverty), then a single example IS enough to show the position wrong. You are comparing apples to oranges, my friend.

You state your opinions all the time without any evidence and yet when others do it you just dismiss them and go on.
                        I am actually fairly careful to provide the basis for my opinions - but I acknowledge that I don't put a link in every post. If I have already linked the sources that were the basis for my opinion, I'm not going to continually repeat them.

And I don't recall ever saying that "opinion" was a bad thing?

And then when you can't ignore them any longer you make a frustrated fart and say "well, this is pointless! I will let you have the last word" until they try to have the last word then you can't help but stick your nose right back into the discussion.
                        When a discussion becomes clearly pointless - I do attempt to disengage. I realize that gives people the opportunity to say "see - you can't respond to my points so you're just leaving." Again - that is a bit of mind reading on your part (and that of others). I leave when the conversation has become repetitious and further advance seems impossible (or at least highly unlikely). I usually don't leave anywhere near soon enough - which I need to get better at.

I plead guilty to the latter. I have about a 50% track record of actually disconnecting from the discussion. Sometimes it's intentional - I just feel a need to respond (and I should not - I admit). Sometimes it's accidental. I may disconnect from one person in a discussion, but the discussion continues with others and, down the line, the original person posts and I respond, forgetting I had disconnected. Such is life - it happens. I'm not going to sweat those.

Look in the mirror sometimes, Carp.
                        I do - every time I shave. Handsome devil!

Comment

If you go back to the discussion, you will note that I acknowledged they were my words -
                          Yeah YOUR words that you were accusing me of calling poor people.
                          and pointed out that you picked them up and added "involved with drugs or gangs" as the other alternative. Nowhere, in any of your posts, did I find any reflection of even so much as one person who could be truly trapped in the cycle of poverty and in need of help/support. Indeed, you message from start to end was "if they want to, they can get out," the implication being that if they are not out - they obviously don't want to. Review yiour own posts, Sparko - and show me where that observation is incorrect. My posts are based on what you SAID - not what you were THINKING or what motivated you.

Following on the above observation - if someone is speaking in a manner that suggests that a thing doesn't exist (i.e., people truly trapped in poverty), then a single example IS enough to show the position wrong. You are comparing apples to oranges, my friend.

I am actually fairly careful to provide the basis for my opinions - but I acknowledge that I don't put a link in every post. If I have already linked the sources that were the basis for my opinion, I'm not going to continually repeat them.

And I don't recall ever saying that "opinion" was a bad thing?

When a discussion becomes clearly pointless - I do attempt to disengage. I realize that gives people the opportunity to say "see - you can't respond to my points so you're just leaving." Again - that is a bit of mind reading on your part (and that of others). I leave when the conversation has become repetitious and further advance seems impossible (or at least highly unlikely). I usually don't leave anywhere near soon enough - which I need to get better at.

I plead guilty to the latter. I have about a 50% track record of actually disconnecting from the discussion. Sometimes it's intentional - I just feel a need to respond (and I should not - I admit). Sometimes it's accidental. I may disconnect from one person in a discussion, but the discussion continues with others and, down the line, the original person posts and I respond, forgetting I had disconnected. Such is life - it happens. I'm not going to sweat those.

I do - every time I shave. Handsome devil!
                          That is something else you do, You can't just admit when someone calls you out on your behavior. You have to excuse it somehow.

Comment

Yeah YOUR words that you were accusing me of calling poor people.

That is something else you do, You can't just admit when someone calls you out on your behavior. You have to excuse it somehow.

As you wish, Sparko. Again - opinions on my person are not really germaine to the discussion. Your opinion is noted. If you have something to add to the actual discussion about employment and wages, I'll be happy to respond - otherwise I'll leave you to it.

Comment

As you wish, Sparko. Again - opinions on my person are not really germaine to the discussion. Your opinion is noted. If you have something to add to the actual discussion about employment and wages, I'll be happy to respond - otherwise I'll leave you to it.
                              There you go again.

Comment

Ahh... I see.

And you make it seem like it's all on me that I say something about it, when you just can't let it go.

Like here....

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                You're opinion is duly noted. I'd prefer to return to the original discussion, and let you carry on about my intentions. If you have anything further on the employment and minimum wage issue, I'll respond. Concerning my intentions, last word to you.
                                So this "I'd prefer to return to the original discussion" is AFTER you keep it going and "carry on" about your intentions.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment