Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

National Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    So if we ruin our economy and make the USA less attractive to the Mexicans then they won't come here!

That is certainly an idea, Sparko.

Not a particularly good one - but it is an idea...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      That's what I said. But carpe said that's not what he said.

It's not. Indeed, the data shows that NOT aligning our work visa policy with our employment needs is what is hurting our economy. It makes a certain amount of sense if you think about it; when there are inadequate workers domestically (which is what low unemployment is all about) and/or there are jobs American workers don't want, then allowing more work visas to fill the gap ensures that all business sectors have the workforce they need to continue functioning at full capacity. Creating a system like TSA-Pre for repeat immigrant workers minimizes the paperwork and greases the wheels.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        diddums! It's so unfair, everyone is so mean to poor little Donny.
        Oh he can take it just fine. Moreover, what keeps twisting the left's knickers is not only can he take it but appears to thrive on it as well as being able to give as good as he gets (and in the latter case, being used to only dishing it out, they do not take it very well at all).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          During the Obama administration, when Obama could not get the Republican-led Congress to take action on immigration - he elected to take action by executive order and was pilloried from the right for doing so. "This is not a monarchy" was the constant refrain. Now, Trump is not getting what he wants from a previously Republican-led, and now split, congress. So...he's apparently considering going the route of "declaring a national emergency." I have to wonder how this is any different. Of course, I'm reasonably sure that we will see (again) defense for why it's OK for Trump and this is "different."
          I think Executive Orders are WAY overused by both parties.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            It sets a worrying precedent as "national emergency" would begin to evolve into anything and everything...
            Kinda like the abuses of the FISA court system?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When you find yourself with pests in your homes (insects, rodents, etc.), you don't solve the problem simply by putting up barriers. Amazingly, the barriers are almost always breached. You also solve the problem by making sure that food and garbage is not left laying around, and doing everything else you can to reduce the attraction. You can also help the problem by putting those "attractants" far away from the house.

A barrier is one tool. It is not the solution.
              Having worked in sales for Orkin Pest Control (and having a 75% successful close rate on leads I may add) several decades ago, I can tell you that closing off access is one of the most important factors in keeping invasive pests from entering.

But Trump has never claimed that putting up a barrier was THE SOLUTION™ and the only thing that needs to be done. You are once again simply parroting leftist misinformation just like you did when you kept insisting he said he wanted a wall built stretching from the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

During the Obama administration, when Obama could not get the Republican-led Congress to take action on immigration - he elected to take action by executive order and was pilloried from the right for doing so. "This is not a monarchy" was the constant refrain. Now, Trump is not getting what he wants from a previously Republican-led, and now split, congress. So...he's apparently considering going the route of "declaring a national emergency." I have to wonder how this is any different. Of course, I'm reasonably sure that we will see (again) defense for why it's OK for Trump and this is "different."
                Trump sometimes likes to toss out lines 1) to see what kind of response they'll get and 2) to help keep the opposition in a frenzy. I suspect this is one of those times. Do I think he should do it? No.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  You mean a system that was designed to work for the US doesn’t work for other countries?...
                  One of my South American pastor friends (who occasionally spends time in the US) explains it this way....

In America, for the most part, you don't need a traffic cop standing at a 4-way intersection in America to keep the flow of traffic orderly. In Mexico and other Central and South American nations, it's whoever has the loudest horn and the most aggressive driving.

Plus, while "bribing the cop" no doubt happens in the US, it's standard fare in those other countries.

Comment

My post was more to see what the response from those on the right here would be if he moved in that direction. Trump appears to be swayed strongly by criticism from his media favorites.
                    That is indeed what your media favorites tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Having worked in sales for Orkin Pest Control (and having a 75% successful close rate on leads I may add) several decades ago, I can tell you that closing off access is one of the most important factors in keeping invasive pests from entering.

But Trump has never claimed that putting up a barrier was THE SOLUTION™ and the only thing that needs to be done. You are once again simply parroting leftist misinformation just like you did when you kept insisting he said he wanted a wall built stretching from the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific.
                      I got a couple bids from some pest control people, because we live "in the country" and were having a problem with mice and scorpions. One of the bids was about a $100 more than the rest, so I asked the guy "what do you provide that the others don't"?

He smiled and said, "I have a couple guys come to your house and spend a whole day sealing up any cracks or crevices or holes where critters get in, THEN we set traps to catch whatever's already in, then we do maintenance from the outside.

They even put screens in the weep holes of the brick and stone!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        One of my South American pastor friends (who occasionally spends time in the US) explains it this way....

In America, for the most part, you don't need a traffic cop standing at a 4-way intersection in America to keep the flow of traffic orderly. In Mexico and other Central and South American nations, it's whoever has the loudest horn and the most aggressive driving.

Plus, while "bribing the cop" no doubt happens in the US, it's standard fare in those other countries.
                        Not just the police. If you need a permit, license or just unofficial permission to do something in many places south of the border it is S.O.P. to have to pay a bribe at essentially every step of the process.

Comment

I got a couple bids from some pest control people, because we live "in the country" and were having a problem with mice and scorpions. One of the bids was about a $100 more than the rest, so I asked the guy "what do you provide that the others don't"?

He smiled and said, "I have a couple guys come to your house and spend a whole day sealing up any cracks or crevices or holes where critters get in, THEN we set traps to catch whatever's already in, then we do maintenance from the outside.

They even put screens in the weep holes of the brick and stone!
                          Whenever I got a call about scorpions I knew I had a sure sale except when the potential customer said they were from Texas.

Comment

Not just the police. If you need a permit, license or just unofficial permission to do something in many places south of the border it is S.O.P. to have to pay a bribe at essentially every step of the process.
                            Yeah, we used to do a lot of mission trips "over the border", and always had to have some cash for the bus driver to dispense bribes for "safety checks". Once, we were building a pastor's home across the border, and the isle of the bus was PILED with lumber and construction stuff. A policeman boarded our bus, and was obviously unhappy with the large amount of construction material (not supposed to bring it across the border).

He said, "Senior, we have a problem with... [bus driver hands him a $100 bill] ... you have a good day, Senior, and be safe!"

Comment

Whenever I got a call about scorpions I knew I had a sure sale except when the potential customer said they were from Texas.
                              My wife just hates the little fellas!

Comment

I think Executive Orders are WAY overused by both parties.
                                Agreed.

Comment