Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cardinal Blames Homosexuality For Church Crisis...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
    ...which is happening in regular society, as I indicated with the frequency of sex abuse in public schools.
    I'm not aware of anything suggesting that 7% of all men have been accused of child abuse, but that is the figure for the Catholic church in Australia. Even the pope admits that paedophilia is widespread.
    Parts of society such as public schools (I know this is my go-to example but only because it's the one I've looked the most at) sometimes "expel" offenders, but very frequently that just amounts to firing them and not bothering to tell anyone about it, allowing them to just go someplace else and continue their ways.
    The Catholic church doesn't even do that.
    Last edited by Roy; 01-08-2019, 09:47 AM.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Excuses, excuses. If the Catholic church hasn't distinguished itself from sexual abuse in society, which itself is nothing new, then the catholic church is to blame, not society. The catholic church has been covering up for the offenders for ages.
      Well said.

When the CC fouls up, it needs to ‘fess up - rather than:
      • blame society
      • say “…but group X or Y is even worse”
      • use other diversionary tactics.

In Confession, one is not allowed to blame anyone else. Which is exactly as it should be. And exactly the same M.O. should be observed when Catholics talk about bad stuff in the CC.

As with the individual, so with the Church: making excuses for one’s bad behaviour is not only an abdication of responsibility, but it is also a refusal to grow in maturity. But growth and maturity is required of both.

It is a false kind of strength to refuse to admit one’s faults; true strength lies in facing them, and admitting them, and proceeding to do something about them. To ignore them, is to forget that while one may succeed in not seeing them oneself, that does not mean that others are not well aware of them.

This applies to real faults & corruptions - not to fancied, doubtful or non-existent ones.

Comment