Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Specified complexity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
    More than likely he couldn't make any sense out of your usual science-free blithering and decided to ignore you.
    I suspect Nick answered Dory's objections, but Dory promptly forgot the answers and repeated his objections.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
      The function that this performs, presumably there is function here, but I can't translate nucleotides to function myself.
      That's a shame. Maybe you can do it the other way around? You've said that "the function of the gene sequence is side information that can be used to construct the sequence", so perhaps you can construct the gene sequences of FlgK (HAP1) and FlgL (HAP3), given that their apparent function is to link the filament tail of a bacterial flagellum to the rotating hook that provides circular motion? Without looking the sequences up, naturally.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
        So, are you saying that anything biological that has a function is specified?
        Yes, I would say so.

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Yes, I would say so.
          But we know biological functions can evolve, so that means evolution can produce specified complexity.

Wrap this one up, we can all go home.
          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

But we know biological functions can evolve, so that means evolution can produce specified complexity.

No, I still have some replies to write. Damn.

Comment

Yes, I would say so.

Blessings,
              Lee
              This would justify the definition of 'specified complexity' provided by Leslie Orgel that is the separation of organic life from inorganic life that can be defined as falsifiable hypothesis that includes the beginnings of life through natural causes. I am happy you now agree with Leslie Orgel.

Comment

Yes, and I concur that evolution can produce simple irreducibly complex structures, but as the complexity goes up, the probability falls precipitously, and the probability of design becomes reasonable.

22 pages, I would say we're about done...

Blessings,
                Lee
                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  This would justify the definition of 'specified complexity' provided by Leslie Orgel that is the separation of organic life from inorganic life that can be defined as falsifiable hypothesis that includes the beginnings of life through natural causes. I am happy you now agree with Leslie Orgel.
                  Well, because I agree with his definition of specified complexity, does not mean I endorse all his views.

Blessings,
                  Lee

Comment

Well, because I agree with his definition of specified complexity, does not mean I endorse all his views.

Blessings,
                    Lee
                    His definition is different from yours. His definition is falsifiable by scientific methods, yours is not.

Comment

Yes, and I concur that evolution can produce simple irreducibly complex structures, but as the complexity goes up, the probability falls precipitously, and the probability of design becomes reasonable.
                      You've already admitted in the other thread that you don't know enough about fitness landscapes or effective population sizes to conclude anything about probabilities.

Why are you so happy to reach conclusions from a position of ignorance? Do you think it's motivated reasoning?

Comment

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        You were done along time ago. I addressed the atrocious misuse of probability with references in this thread:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...the-same-again.

First probability only may apply to individual simply cause and effect events that the sum of simple cause and effect events leads to the complexity of life.

The Lurch is right, you a layman will never even try to learn because of your Intelligent Design religious agenda.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-27-2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

So you're not going to show us how to determine a gene sequence from knowing its function? Such a disappointment.

Comment

• For the curious, the DNA i shared was the far end of a gene called neurogenin2 (i think the mouse version). I chose that for some very specific reasons, which i'll now detail.

This is part of ngn2 that's transcribed into a messenger RNA, but an area past where the protein translation from that RNA is terminated. But, by chance, it has an open reading from that's big enough to be translated into a small protein or peptide hormone. These areas (called 3' UTRs) are often the site of gene regulatory information, and ngn2 is no exception. But it's only 1 of a complex set of enhancers that control the location and timing of ngn2's expression, which is complex and dynamic. (you can see some of it here: http://dev.biologists.org/content/de...600&carousel=1). Critical areas of expression include the precursor to the spinal cord in tetrapods. But to get that expression, you need the full set of enhancers. Taking just one like this in isolation will often give just a subset of the total pattern, or the normal pattern but much weaker, or sometimes no expression at all.

I chose this because it demonstrates the inanity of the idea of independent specification. By analyzing it, you could find the ORF, find possible RNA splice sites, find possible transcription factor binding sites, etc. - but have no way of telling whether any of them are relevant to its function. If you tried testing it by putting it in different organisms, you'd end up pulling your hair out (assuming you have more hair left than i do) because of the chaotic mess of results.
                            In most organisms, this sequence would do nothing.
                            In some, it might be transcribed and translated into a protein.
                            In a small fraction of life on earth (the tetrapods), it might drive some small subset of the activity of ngn2 - maybe in the developing spinal cord, maybe not.

The only thing that provides any specificity to the function of this sequence is the site in the genome it's located in - DNA provides the specification, as Roy's been arguing.

The last point i'd want to make about this is every tool you can possibly analyze this sequence with was developed by actual biologists; all thegene expression analysis too. The ID folks, despite yammering on about specified complexity for over a decade haven't even attempted to show how it could be identified in DNA. They are intellectually bankrupt, and their only accomplishment has been fooling people like Lee, who are predisposed to believe them, into thinking there's anything there.

Comment

Well, the idea of a specification requires some explanation:

Source: Intelligent Design, by William Dembski

For a pattern to count as a specification, the important thing is not when it was identified but whether in a certain well-defined sense it is independentdetachabilityconditional independence condition and a tractability condition

© Copyright Original Source

So this is not merely a circular definition.

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              Hasn't that been throughly refuted and debunked by others here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Seeker View Post
                                Hasn't that been throughly refuted and debunked by others here?
                                Yes.

Comment