Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Specified complexity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    No, each face on a fair die has an equal probability of coming up, the pattern is not fractal.

Blessings,
    Lee
    Further checking and found we are both wrong. No, each ace on a par of dice does not have an equal probability of coming up, therefore it is not totally random. Too many unpredictable variable makes it too difficult to generate a fractal model.

Dungeons and Dragons, Yahtzee, and a huge number of other games all rely on throwing dice--from the 4-sided pyramid shape to the familiar 6-sided cube and the monster 20-sided variety. The dice are meant to introduce an element of chance to these games; we expect that the outcomes of the rolls will be truly random.

Source: https://www.insidescience.org/news/dice-rolls-are-not-completely-random

However, new theoretical models and high-speed movies of dice rolls of numerous shapes and sizes confirm this is not strictly the case. They show that dice thrown with a 1 on the top are slightly more likely to land as a 1 than as the other values for every type of the various kinds of dice they studied. But at the same time, it's usually too hard for someone to predict the outcome of the throw of a single die--you'd have to know the starting conditions of the throw and its environment so precisely that for all practical purposes, the result could be considered random.

© Copyright Original Source

The Laws of Nature and the physical nature of the dice remain the primary cause of the pattern of the outcome of the roll of the dice base don the research.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

All gene sequences are independent of DNA, has been my reply, and is still my reply.
      To which my reply is still that you haven't shown that red/blue shift patterns are not equally independent of planets, and that your opinions are irrelevant.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Then I claim that your points made here in this thread are arbitrary!
        You're simply dodging the fact that you're saying it's intuition, which is necessarily arbitrary. You can't have it both ways.

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
        Though the filter embodies our intuitions about design: Is it chance? Is it due to a law? Is it designed? These are the same questions that archeologists will raise, though sometimes implicitly, when they examine artifacts.

Pity the archeologists, then?
        But we've already gone over this. Archeologists don't deal with these issues because they know the identity and capabilities of the individuals doing the designing. It's fundamentally different, as demonstrated by the fact that archeologists have used a grand total of zero of the ideas of the ID community.
        "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          The Laws of Nature and the physical nature of the dice remain the primary cause of the pattern of the outcome of the roll of the dice base don the research.
          Sure, but a uniform probability for each fair die face is what is meant by a chance cause in this case.

Blessings,
          Lee
          "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
            To which my reply is still that you haven't shown that red/blue shift patterns are not equally independent of planets, and that your opinions are irrelevant.
            But the existence of planets in motion causes the shifts, so these two are not independent.

Blessings,
            Lee
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
              You're simply dodging the fact that you're saying it's intuition, which is necessarily arbitrary. You can't have it both ways.
              Well, say understanding instead of intuition, surely you are not saying we can't make valid judgments.

But we've already gone over this. Archeologists don't deal with these issues because they know the identity and capabilities of the individuals doing the designing.
              How then is it that Dembski's explanatory filter doesn't apply to what they are doing?

Blessings,
              Lee

Comment

How then is it that Dembski's explanatory filter doesn't apply to what they are doing?
                Because their analysis can start with far more sophisticated questions, like were hominins present in a given location at the relevant time, were they tool-using hominins, did they have the relevant technologies to produce a given artifact, etc. If you know something's 80,000 years old in Australia, then you already know it wasn't made by humans.

Again, find me a single instance of Dembski's ideas being used by an archaeologist.
                "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

• Creationist Carl Wieland said:

''A more useful definition is specified complexity, and that is normally what creationists talk about when they say that information is seldom, if ever increased. That is an observational fact, not dependent on the axiom. Even the late chemical evolutionist Leslie Orgel said:

Living things are distinguished by their specified complexity. Crystals such as granite fail to qualify as living because they lack complexity; mixtures of random polymers fail to qualify because they lack specificity.

There are forms of specified complexity which can increase in a machine process, even very rarely by ‘chance’. Creationists have gone on record as saying that in a complex world, one might see a little bit of information increase by a random process—but to give the NeoDarwinian theory mathematical credibility, one would need to be able to point to hundreds of such information-increasing mutations happening all around us. One or two would not be enough. We know of one possible example, and even that is interesting and in some respects debatable. I refer to the ability of some bacteria to digest nylon, a manmade material. See www.creation.com/nylon . See also the related Bacteria ‘evolving in the lab’? about citrate-digesting bacteria''.

Is that a reasonable use of the term, or is it circular?

Comment

• Originally posted by Seeker View Post
                    Creationist Carl Wieland said:

''A more useful definition is specified complexity, and that is normally what creationists talk about when they say that information is seldom, if ever increased. That is an observational fact, not dependent on the axiom. Even the late chemical evolutionist Leslie Orgel said:

Living things are distinguished by their specified complexity. Crystals such as granite fail to qualify as living because they lack complexity; mixtures of random polymers fail to qualify because they lack specificity.

There are forms of specified complexity which can increase in a machine process, even very rarely by ‘chance’. Creationists have gone on record as saying that in a complex world, one might see a little bit of information increase by a random process—but to give the NeoDarwinian theory mathematical credibility, one would need to be able to point to hundreds of such information-increasing mutations happening all around us. One or two would not be enough. We know of one possible example, and even that is interesting and in some respects debatable. I refer to the ability of some bacteria to digest nylon, a manmade material. See www.creation.com/nylon . See also the related Bacteria ‘evolving in the lab’? about citrate-digesting bacteria''.

Is that a reasonable use of the term, or is it circular?
                    Terribly circular.
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Sure, but a uniform probability for each fair die face is what is meant by a chance cause in this case.

Blessings,
                      Lee
                      My reference described that there is not a uniform probability for each face of the dice.

Frank

Comment

Well, say understanding instead of intuition, surely you are not saying we can't make valid judgments.

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        . . . because the evidence for human technology is well understood, and well defined in archaeology as a product of 'human' intelligence. If you use Dempski's explanatory filter here for evidence of Intelligent Design, all I have to add is so what?

The problem with Dempski's explanatory filter beyond human Intelligent Design there is no way objective way to differentiate what is simply a product of natural causes, and some other intelligent source, except maybe aliens.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          Terribly circular.
                          But is this use of "specified complexity" different from the one Dembski proposes? Or it's (essentially) the same argument? Plus, does Dembski mentions Leslie Orgel at all in his argument/book/monograph/whatever?

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seeker View Post
                            But is this use of "specified complexity" different from the one Dembski proposes? Or it's (essentially) the same argument? Plus, does Dembski mentions Leslie Orgel at all in his argument/book/monograph/whatever?

Thanks.
                            The quote is incomplete concerning Leslie Orgel's view on abiogenesis. Leslie Orgel supported catalyst abiogenesis origins of the first RNA than life. His work is a little old, mostly 60's and 70's, but his work has a very sound scientific basis. He would not support Dempski's Intelligent Design, nor would Dempski cite Leslie Orgel.

Frank

Comment

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              . . . to add, yes the result is not by total chance as per reference, and the cause described in the reference, but the Laws of Nature concerning the environment, materials, and design of the dice, which are not determined by chance.

The cause is, of course is not chance, but your interpretation of the variation in the outcomes as chance, which is not accurate.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-15-2019, 01:24 PM.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                                Again, find me a single instance of Dembski's ideas being used by an archaeologist.
                                Well, here, an archeologist will certainly reject any object that is caused by chance or a law of nature, this should be self-evident.

Blessings,
                                Lee

Comment