Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Specified complexity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Seeker View Post
    Also, is there any difference between protein and enzyme specificity? At least in the way these expressions are used by the YEC's.
    The problem with specificity, ie specific complexity, as used by ID advocates is that it is a specific complexity of the protein and enzyme makeup in RNA and DNA not being able to be produced naturally by abiogenesis nor evolution, and not necessarily either protein nor enzyme. It is a bogus concept,, and assumption without evidence.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-15-2019, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
      No. Many enzymes are proteins. But given Wieland's confusion above, I can't guarantee some YECs think they mean different things.
      Then Wieland is even more confused. He said:

''To refer to meaning and message involves the existence of a code, and enzymes (all of them proteins)

Comment

Then Wieland is even more confused. He said:

''To refer to meaning and message involves the existence of a code, and enzymes (all of them proteins)
        "Many" is correct. Some enzymes are RNA.

Wieland is also wrong about DNA having specified complexity, for the reason given on the first page of this thread: DNA sequences aren't specified anywhere.
        Last edited by Roy; 04-16-2019, 04:39 AM.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

DNA sequences aren't specified anywhere.
          Sorry if I am being dense, but I still don't get that. You mean the creationists haven't sequenced it?

Comment

Sorry if I am being dense, but I still don't get that. You mean the creationists haven't sequenced it?
            Creationists don't do lab work much, so no they haven't.

But what I mean is that for something to be specified you need to do more than just transcribe a sequence of DNA, you need* something else that has the same sequence to compare it to.

"To be or not to be, that is the question - whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" can be considered specified because there is an already existing work that it can be matched to (assuming I've remembered it correctly).

"ejrtg mfdbdffsnmnsd sb gdsn fsnfdn s bd bfds b s gfn fsn. Dii sg dsdgfs bdgb db ds b dsb sb fgsgfs nbfdsgb dj ldskj kl fds, vv" isn't specified because there is no pre-existing sequence that it matches.

Sequenced DNA isn't specified because there is no pre-existing specification that it matches. The result of DNA sequencing can be used as a specification for something else, such as gene therapy or artificial DNA construction, but that doesn't mean the DNA sequence is specified, it means that whatever is based on it is specified. The existence of similar DNA sequences in different people/creatures isn't specification either since it isn't independent if all the copies were inherited from the same ancestor.

If we had some data that matched sequenced DNA, and which existed before or independently of the DNA being sequenced, then it might be specified. But we don't, so it isn't.

*and this is the Creationist/IDers claim too
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Roy, you say you have met Phillip Bell in person?

Comment

The Creationists dishonestly and selectively cite and interpret others research, and do not do their own research.

Comment

Roy, you say you have met Phillip Bell in person?
                  Yes, I think it was him.

He used to work for AiG UK, and he gave a couple of presentations near where I lived. The first was standard YEC rubbish, complete with misrepresented data and out-of-context quotes. The second was about UFOs being flown by demons.

Comment

Yes, I think it was him.

He used to work for AiG UK, and he gave a couple of presentations near where I lived. The first was standard YEC rubbish, complete with misrepresented data and out-of-context quotes. The second was about UFOs being flown by demons.
                    He needs to take his meds.

Comment

The second was about UFOs being flown by demons.
                      Good Lord.

Comment

The second was about UFOs being flown by demons.
                        What does Satan need with a starship?
                        Last edited by Duragizer; 04-28-2019, 01:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
                          What does Satan need with a starship?
                          They are a lot of fun! . . . besides they specified complex.

Comment

• Are there THREE different concepts of 'information'? One by Spetner, one by Gitt and another by Dembski? In what they differ from one another?

Comment

Are there THREE different concepts of 'information'? One by Spetner, one by Gitt and another by Dembski? In what they differ from one another?
                              Dempski's use of the concept of 'information' is blue smoke and mirrors' approach to justify the concept of 'specified complexity' and a very unethical use of statistics and probability.It is complex how he describes it. His concept is a very mechanistic approach that he proposes prevents the natural abiogenesis and evolution of live.

Dembski defines information as follows:

Comment

• https://evolutionnews.org/2016/01/reviewing_the_e/

Comment