Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Specified complexity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    But this simply states that Dembski's definition is circular, without telling us why.

Blessings,
    Lee
    It explains that, and you are ignoring the reference. It is not only circular, but bad science and the misuse of probability as referenced in a number of sources.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Well, good judgment, not just a casual look, keeping in mind what natural processes can do. And we're still a long way from translating DNA into behavior! So that's not even possible right now.

Blessings,
      Lee
      Sound objective verifiable evidence, and sound hypothesis have demonstrated what natural processes cad do, and where the Discovery Institute's claims for Intelligent Design has failed to come up with a falsifiable hypothesis as to what natural processes cannot do.

Again bogus 'arguing from ignorance' is not evidence for a falsifiable hypothesis.

Still waiting . . .
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-28-2019, 08:16 PM.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

But this simply states that Dembski's definition is circular, without telling us why.
        Dembski DEFINED "specified complexity" (or CSI) as something which can ONLY be produced by intelligence. Then he claims DNA is chock full of CSI therefore must be intelligently designed. It's a completely circular argument and completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          It explains that...
          Well, how so?

where the Discovery Institute's claims for Intelligent Design has failed to come up with a falsifiable hypothesis as to what natural processes cannot do.
          The explanatory filter of Dembski has a falsifiable conclusion of "this object is designed."

Blessings,
          Lee
          "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
            Dembski DEFINED "specified complexity" (or CSI) as something which can ONLY be produced by intelligence.
            Thanks for addressing the question of circularity, but no, it doesn't, see the definition I posted in my first post here in this thread.

Blessings,
            Lee
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Thanks for addressing the question of circularity, but no, it doesn't, see the definition I posted in my first post here in this thread.

Blessings,
              Lee
              It most definitely fits the definition of circularity where the assumptions of 'Specified Complexity' are the basis of the conclusion without objective verifiable evidence to support a falsifiable hypothesis that would go beyond the assumptions of 'Specified Complexity.'

Frank

Comment

We can now detect the presence of multiple planets using a combination of radial velocity measurements and orbital timing variations. These rely on complex combinations of multiple red- and blue-shifts to indicate the presence of planets, and then calculations of the gravitational influence of the planets on each other to indicate how those affect the timing of the red/blue shifts. Thus, there's a pattern, it's complex, and it specifies information that's independent of the pattern itself.

Is that specified and complex?
                "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                  We can now detect the presence of multiple planets using a combination of radial velocity measurements and orbital timing variations. These rely on complex combinations of multiple red- and blue-shifts to indicate the presence of planets, and then calculations of the gravitational influence of the planets on each other to indicate how those affect the timing of the red/blue shifts. Thus, there's a pattern, it's complex, and it specifies information that's independent of the pattern itself.

Is that specified and complex?
                  I would say no, because the red/blue shifts are not conditionally independent of the events (the existence of planets).

Blessings,
                  Lee

Comment

It most definitely fits the definition of circularity where the assumptions of 'Specified Complexity' are the basis of the conclusion without objective verifiable evidence to support a falsifiable hypothesis that would go beyond the assumptions of 'Specified Complexity.'
                    But how is it that the definition does not allow objective evidence to falsify the conclusion of design? If I understand what you are saying here...

Blessings,
                    Lee

Comment

But how is it that the definition does not allow objective evidence to falsify the conclusion of design? If I understand what you are saying here...
                      The definition does not preclude the falsification of a hypothesis, but the failure of presenting a hypothesis that may be falsified results in the fact the hypothesis remains circular.

Frank

Comment

I would say no, because the red/blue shifts are not conditionally independent of the events (the existence of planets).

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        Actually no, this is a false assumption to justify a religious agenda.

Sources please?

Frank

Comment

Then gene sequences are not conditionally independent of the events (the existence if DNA), and gene sequences are not specified and complex.
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

The definition does not preclude the falsification of a hypothesis, but the failure of presenting a hypothesis that may be falsified results in the fact the hypothesis remains circular.
                            Correct, the definition does not preclude the falsification of the hypothesis of design--and how can a hypothesis be circular?

Blessings,
                            Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                              Then gene sequences are not conditionally independent of the events (the existence if DNA), and gene sequences are not specified and complex.
                              But gene sequences are independent of the existence of DNA, the fact that DNA exists does not determine the sequence of nucleotides.

Blessings,
                              Lee

Comment

But gene sequences are independent of the existence of DNA, the fact that DNA exists does not determine the sequence of nucleotides.

Blessings,
                                Lee
                                True, natural selection determines the 'gene sequences are independent of the existence of DNA, the fact that DNA exists does not determine the sequence of nucleotides.'

Frank

Comment