Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

AR15 Made For 'Unfair' Fight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Or it implies, rather absurdly, that teenage boys armed with brass knuckles who have broken into your home are not a threat.
    Like three teens couldn't beat you to death...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      And it goes back to the myth that police officers are trained to "shoot to kill". It is not "shoot to kill", it is "shoot to stop"... and in Texas Concealed Handgun classes, that is stressed for the armed citizen as well. But, yes, in most home invasion scenarios (and the home being occupied at the time of the offense makes it an aggravated crime) a jury (or a judge) will give pretty wide latitude to protecting your casa.
      Yep. I was asking my brother about it. Basically in most states with the Castle Doctrine (Stand your ground) if someone is breaking into your house you can shoot them upon entry or if you find them in your house. You have a reasonable cause to fear for your life. You don't have to wait for them to attack you or brandish a weapon. BUT you can't fire on them if they are attempting to flee, or if they are obviously not a danger (they lay down and surrender on the floor for example).

And yes the AR-15 was an unfair advantage. But that is the way it is supposed to be. The more advantages the home owner has over the criminal the better. He is protecting his life after all. It should never be a "fair" fight.

PS - this happened back in 2012 in case nobody noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Like three teens couldn't beat you to death...
        Remembering, of course that "teens" these days are not the cute cuddly little critters of Leave it to Beaver fame.

The defense attorney for a thug/criminal would always bring him to court all cleaned up and in a nice suit.... I often wished the jury could see what the little perp looked like at the time of the offense.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Yep. I was asking my brother about it. Basically in most states with the Castle Doctrine (Stand your ground) if someone is breaking into your house you can shoot them upon entry or if you find them in your house. You have a reasonable cause to fear for your life. You don't have to wait for them to attack you or brandish a weapon. BUT you can't fire on them if they are attempting to flee, or if they are obviously not a danger (they lay down and surrender on the floor for example).

And yes the AR-15 was an unfair advantage. But that is the way it is supposed to be. The more advantages the home owner has over the criminal the better. He is protecting his life after all. It should never be a "fair" fight.

PS - this happened back in 2012 in case nobody noticed.
          I remember General Schwarzkopf's many references to "overwhelming force" during the Gulf war --- it wasn't "match the enemy's troop strength" -- it was "overwhelming force so this can be quick and we can go home".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Remembering, of course that "teens" these days are not the cute cuddly little critters of Leave it to Beaver fame.

The defense attorney for a thug/criminal would always bring him to court all cleaned up and in a nice suit.... I often wished the jury could see what the little perp looked like at the time of the offense.
            That's why mug shots are so useful. And often these "baby bad-asses" like to pose on social media acting tough or holding weapons.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I remember General Schwarzkopf's many references to "overwhelming force" during the Gulf war --- it wasn't "match the enemy's troop strength" -- it was "overwhelming force so this can be quick and we can go home".
              Which reminds me of how often after being attacked with hundreds of rockets for weeks Israel retaliates, and then we occasionally hear complaints from the MSM about how unfair that was because the Israeli military is so much better armed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And it goes back to the myth that police officers are trained to "shoot to kill". It is not "shoot to kill", it is "shoot to stop"...
                Which is effectively the same thing in the majority of cases. It's why small caliber handguns generally make for poor self-defense weapons, because a pea-shooter that doesn't put a sizeable hole in your target is more likely to anger an attacker than stop him.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Which is effectively the same thing in the majority of cases. It's why small caliber handguns generally make for poor self-defense weapons, because a pea-shooter that doesn't put a sizeable hole in your target is more likely to anger an attacker than stop him.
                  Unless you have a 1911 45 cal.

ithaca_M1911N__78944.1504806443.500.750.jpg
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Which reminds me of how often after being attacked with hundreds of rockets for weeks Israel retaliates, and then we occasionally hear complaints from the MSM about how unfair that was because the Israeli military is so much better armed.
                    That!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Unless you have a 1911 45 cal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34308[/ATTACH]
                      yep. and it is 100 year old technology which should satisfy the "2nd amendment is only for ancient weapons" crowd.

Comment

And, with semi-auto, it's extremely unlikely that the officer is going to fire one round, then wait to see if the subject is still attacking....

But, MM, why don't the police just shoot the gun out of the bad guy's hand?

Comment

But, MM, why don't the police just shoot the gun out of the bad guy's hand?
                          Or aim for a non-vital body part!

Although I did see a video once where a sniper disarmed a guy holding a hostage by shooting the gun out of his hand, but that's obviously an atypical scenario.
                          Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-08-2019, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Or aim for a non-vital body part!

Although I did see a video once where a sniper disarmed a guy holding a hostage by shooting the gun out of his, but that's obviously an atypical scenario.
                            All of the training is "center mass", of course, because that's the greatest chance you have of going home safe to your family at the end of your tour.

Basically, it comes down to two scenarios...

A) The "things happened so fast I just responded by my training and instincts kicking in"
                            2) A "Standoff" situation where you have an opportunity to assess your options.

The home invasion is almost always in that first category.

Comment

All of the training is "center mass", of course, because that's the greatest chance you have of going home safe to your family at the end of your tour.

Basically, it comes down to two scenarios...

A) The "things happened so fast I just responded by my training and instincts kicking in"
                              2) A "Standoff" situation where you have an opportunity to assess your options.

The home invasion is almost always in that first category.
                              "Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!"

and

"You are your own first-responder."

Comment

"Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!"

and

"You are your own first-responder."
                                Did you ever watch Longmire?

I love that scene where somebody yells "CALL 911" and he responds, "I AM 911!"

Comment