Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's National Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The Washington Post has just provided an excellent example of just what sort of things get included into these various lists of "lies" that Trump tells that gets the left's knickers all in a bunch.

Yesterday Trump hosted the Clemson University's football team at the White House after they defeated Alabama at the College Football Playoff National Championship. Due to the partial government shutdown the White House kitchen staff has been furloughed so Trump went out and bought $3000 worth of fast food for them. What upset those afflicted with TDS at the Washington Post was Trump's statement that they had hamburgers stacked "a mile high." So they actually had what is painfully obviously a figure of speech fact checked to see if the hamburgers would literally be a mile high

Yup. You read that right. They actually fact checked it.

Their solemn conclusion? "At two inches each, a thousand burgers would not reach one mile high."

So this will now join the list of LIES! told by Trump
    Your kidding, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Your kidding, right?
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.1d402f03aa2b

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• So I'm reading a pretty seriously "tongue-in-cheek" article. Note the two lines immediately following the "Fact Check:"

Had Trump instead invested his entire net worth — $3.1 billion per Forbes last year — on $5 sandwiches, each two inches high? A stack of hamburgers nearly 20,000 miles high.

It would require quite a large silver serving platter.

Me thinks this equates to "much ado about nothing."
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          Trump explicitly put in place a policy of family separation. Obama (and Bush before him) did not.

Because I find Obama a reasonable human being with some flaws, and I find Trump a vile human being with a couple saving graces.
          Which colors your entire thought process and makes you see everything he says in a negative light.

Already responded to.
          IE you ignored it and keep ignoring it.

My assertions are true if they align with the observable facts - and false if they do not - as with all assertions.
          The Carpe dodge noted.

Your perspective is noted.
          Another Carpe dodge.

If the Border Patrol was overwhelmed, and used holding areas as a last resort - there is no fault. If they had alternatives and used holding areas - there is fault. As best I can tell - what happened under Obama was the former - and what happened under Trump was the latter. If you have other facts to offer, by all means cite them.
          Locking kids into cages is okay, as long as it’s a Democrat doing it and it’s only temporary. Got it, you’ll excuse away anything a liberal does and claim to be unbiased. Okay, whatever makes you feel better.

I have no idea how this is relevant.
          You mean it’s not reluctant that nobody cared what happened under Obama’s watch, until they had no choice but to talk about? It’s quite relevant in this topic because it shows media biasness well at work. Everything under Obama is met with a shrug and excuse; everything under Trump is the worst thing ever even when it’s business as usual.

I'll take your word for it.
          Do you think PT test are easy?

I do.

At this point, I find this discussion has run its course and is now repetitive. I'll leave the last word to you.

I'm sure that will earn me a "dodging" or "handwaving" or some such...
          It’s what you do best.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            There is no doubt that Trump stretches the truth beyond the breaking point. Pretty much like every politician of every party before him.
            Dear boys and girls, don't worry. He may stretch the truth beyond the breaking point. But, I tell you, the others did so as well! Don't worry about right or wrong in and of itself. Point to the others and go forwards.
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
              Dear boys and girls, don't worry. He may stretch the truth beyond the breaking point. But, I tell you, the others did so as well! Don't worry about right or wrong in and of itself. Point to the others and go forwards.
              Dear Chuck. Back in the car!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                Locking kids into cages is okay, as long as it’s a Democrat doing it and it’s only temporary. Got it, you’ll excuse away anything a liberal does and claim to be unbiased. Okay, whatever makes you feel better.
                No. Locking kids in cages is OK if there is no other available alternative to ensure their safety. It is not OK if there is. As best I can tell - the former was the situation under Bush and Obama; the latter was the case under Trump.

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                You mean it’s not reluctant that nobody cared what happened under Obama’s watch, until they had no choice but to talk about?
                Sources, please?

It’s quite relevant in this topic because it shows media biasness well at work. Everything under Obama is met with a shrug and excuse; everything under Trump is the worst thing ever even when it’s business as usual.
                In my experience, then people resort to superlatives, they are already wrong. I have noted several things under Obama that were objectionable, and several things under Trump that I support. So this description is not apt.

Do you think PT test are easy?
                I have no thoughts about PT tests one way or the other, nor do I see how that is relevant to the discussion about family separation.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

No. Locking kids in cages is OK if there is no other available alternative to ensure their safety. It is not OK if there is. As best I can tell - the former was the situation under Bush and Obama; the latter was the case under Trump.
                  So I can use that excuse when CPS shows up, correct?

Sources, please?
                  Have you found any sources dating to the Obama presidency yet?

In my experience, then people resort to superlatives, they are already wrong. I have noted several things under Obama that were objectionable, and several things under Trump that I support. So this description is not apt.
                  In my experience, people that take clear exaggerations and try to take them 100% literal truth are simply trying to find excuses to not listen to what was said. You’ve excused away things done under Obama under excuses like, “It’s just temporary!” As though that’s an excuse for child abuse that would be a clear case of child abuse if anyone, but the government under Obama apparently. I’d be wearing an orange jump suit if I did that to kids and yet, who has gone to prision under this clear case of child abuse? It’s quite apt as you try everything you can to excuse away this case before us.

I have no thoughts about PT tests one way or the other, nor do I see how that is relevant to the discussion about family separation.
                  You’re the one that brought up weight, I just pointed out I’m in better health than those 10 years younger.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

So I can use that excuse when CPS shows up, correct?
                    If CPS is doing their job correctly, they will know the difference. So here's a scenario I would have no problem with:

I have a 2 year old that I know wanders and climbs. I am on the third floor with many staircases around me, a balcony with a 3 story drop, and an open floor-plan. I have a large dog with a large dog cage. My mother has a heart attack and drops to the floor. If the best way I can keep my child safe is to put her in the dog crate while I take care of my mother - no problem. If I have a bathroom with a door or any other place I can put them, then it IS a problem.

Have you found any sources dating to the Obama presidency yet?
                    Sources for what? And why does that obviate your need to provide a source for a claim you made?

In my experience, people that take clear exaggerations and try to take them 100% literal truth are simply trying to find excuses to not listen to what was said. You’ve excused away things done under Obama under excuses like, “It’s just temporary!” As though that’s an excuse for child abuse that would be a clear case of child abuse if anyone, but the government under Obama apparently. I’d be wearing an orange jump suit if I did that to kids and yet, who has gone to prision under this clear case of child abuse? It’s quite apt as you try everything you can to excuse away this case before us.
                    I'll let me previous responses to all of this stand. Repeating them is pointless.

You’re the one that brought up weight, I just pointed out I’m in better health than those 10 years younger.
                    So all of this is because I teased you about eating too much popcorn? Wow - Pix - I didn't know your skin was that thin. I will endeavor to remember that and refrain from any teasing in my posts.

Comment

If CPS is doing their job correctly, they will know the difference. So here's a scenario I would have no problem with:

I have a 2 year old that I know wanders and climbs. I am on the third floor with many staircases around me, a balcony with a 3 story drop, and an open floor-plan. I have a large dog with a large dog cage. My mother has a heart attack and drops to the floor. If the best way I can keep my child safe is to put her in the dog crate while I take care of my mother - no problem. If I have a bathroom with a door or any other place I can put them, then it IS a problem.
                      So what danger where these kids in that justified locking them into a cage?

Sources for what? And why does that obviate your need to provide a source for a claim you made?
                      I said there was silence, until these pictures where falsely attributed to Trump and it had to be discussed. You tried to refute it by proving my point a digging up articles from 2018, which proves my point. All you have to do is show the media making a big deal prior to Trump. Can you?

I'll let me previous responses to all of this stand. Repeating them is pointless.
                      Another famous carp dodge.

So all of this is because I teased you about eating too much popcorn? Wow - Pix - I didn't know your skin was that thin. I will endeavor to remember that and refrain from any teasing in my posts.
                      Obviously, you don’t get the humor yourself. It’s okay, I understand.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

So what danger where these kids in that justified locking them into a cage?
                        I have no idea. I only know that, for a period, the resources of the border patrol were overwhelmed by the influx of unaccompanied children crossing the border. During that period, they were using adult detention facilities as a court of last resorts. It was a short-lived situation in general, and the policy was "no more than three days." I assume the border patrol would not have kept them in those circumstances longer than they needed to.

I said there was silence, until these pictures where falsely attributed to Trump and it had to be discussed. You tried to refute it by proving my point a digging up articles from 2018, which proves my point. All you have to do is show the media making a big deal prior to Trump. Can you?
                        Pix - I have lost you completely. As far as I can recall (and I have not gone back through the thread to find all of the posts), I showed that the original poster of those pics pulled them down within minutes of them being posted - and acknowledged his error. Unfortunately, with 1M followers, the images "went viral" and, when that happens, it's akin to trying to put the toothpaste back into the tube. The media picked it up - and then they too had to acknowledge that they had mistakenly associated the images with Trump when they were from the Obama era. I know of no reputable media outlet that has NOT long-since corrected that error. I cannot speak for the multitude of individuals who are still posting the images on their Facebook and Twitter and Instagram pages. Beyond that - I have no clue what it is you want.

Comment