Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's National Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    No - I feel better after describing the Trump I see and who's tweets I read with my own eyes, and who's speeches I listen to with my own ears (actually - I can't stand watching him, so I usually just read his speeches - at least the important ones). I don't need any media outlet to dictate my views to me. Hopefully, you don't either.
    And again you fail to understand you view him and anyone that might agree with him through the same bias filter. See, you take everything that he says at the absolute worst and move on from there. Thing is you’re incapable of seeing it and how totally unhinged you sound with the ridiculous assumptions you make.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Pivoting to my person doesn't avoid your problem, MM. Where's the link to this "good" speech that Trump delivered spontaneously? Provide it please, and we'll know that he is capable of such a thing.
      Here we go.

Sixty years ago, an episode of a TV showed called “Trackdown” told the story of a conman named Trump who warns people that the world will be destroyed and that only he can save them … by building a wall.

https://www.thewrap.com/trump-villai...ll-save-world/

Sound familiar?
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Here we go.

Sixty years ago, an episode of a TV showed called “Trackdown” told the story of a conman named Trump who warns people that the world will be destroyed and that only he can save them … by building a wall.

https://www.thewrap.com/trump-villai...ll-save-world/

Sound familiar?
        No. The US President has said nothing about "saving the world".
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          No. The US President has said nothing about "saving the world".
          I don’t know Bill. Everyone knows that Hollywood has a perfect record of predicting the future.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            I don’t know Bill. Everyone knows that Hollywood has a perfect record of predicting the future.
            I know. Shatner predicted a scene from Ace Ventura 2

That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I still want my 2015 Mattel Hoverboard and self-lacing Nike high-tops, dagnabbit!

BTTF2_2.jpg
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

No - I feel better after describing the Trump I see and who's tweets I read with my own eyes...
                'whose tweets' ...of which I wish would just STOP!!!!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And again you fail to understand you view him and anyone that might agree with him through the same bias filter.
                  Actually, I am very aware of the danger of implicit bias. But I didn't start by viewing Trump as a travesty. When he came down the escalator - my views on him were actually neutral, because I didn't know much about him. My views about him developed over the following months and years as I watched his actions, listened to his language, and observed is choices. It is not "bias" to come to a conclusion about someone on the basis of observed behavior.

See, you take everything that he says at the absolute worst and move on from there.
                  I take what he says as he says it - and evaluate it as better or worse depending on what it is. When he stands and expresses sympathy for people caught in the grips of a disaster, I applaud him. When he enacts a policy to separate children from their parents, I decry him. It is not my doing that his actions tend more to the latter than the former.

Thing is you’re incapable of seeing it and how totally unhinged you sound with the ridiculous assumptions you make.
                  Your perspective and opinion are noted. They're wrong, but history suggests that denial is not going to go accepted, so I leave you to your assumptions.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    'whose tweets' ...of which I wish would just STOP!!!!
                    Oops...

I hate being caught-out by a fellow grammar Nazi!
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      Oops...

I hate being caught-out by a fellow grammar Nazi!
                      I've had to be particularly careful about its and it's.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        I still want my 2015 Mattel Hoverboard and self-lacing Nike high-tops, dagnabbit!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34383[/ATTACH]
                        To be fair, those were some of the ugliest shoes to ever grace the silver screen.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I've had to be particularly careful about its and it's.
                          I will be watching you like a hawk...

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            To be fair, those were some of the ugliest shoes to ever grace the silver screen.
                            They were cool and futuristic in 1989.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Actually, I am very aware of the danger of implicit bias. But I didn't start by viewing Trump as a travesty. When he came down the escalator - my views on him were actually neutral, because I didn't know much about him. My views about him developed over the following months and years as I watched his actions, listened to his language, and observed is choices. It is not "bias" to come to a conclusion about someone on the basis of observed behavior.
                              And yet the same people have watched him and have come to different conclusions. It’s almost as if you keep claiming to be a centerist and yet hold to positions that dominate those on the left. You seem totally unaware of your own biasness.

I take what he says as he says it - and evaluate it as better or worse depending on what it is. When he stands and expresses sympathy for people caught in the grips of a disaster, I applaud him. When he enacts a policy to separate children from their parents, I decry him. It is not my doing that his actions tend more to the latter than the former.
                              Sorry, but reality doesn’t match up to this claim at all. You have posted classic lie list that mainly chalk up to differences in opinion and totally ignore that the same people saying, “What about the children!” Flat out lied when they posted pictures of children in cages claiming those pictures were taken under the Trump presidency when they were actually taken under the Obama presidency. Sorry, but what you ignore in calling Trump a liar is the lies his opponents spread in the process. The difference is that his opponents have a media that doesn’t care about all the lies his opponents spread and are actually active in lying themselves.

Your perspective and opinion are noted. They're wrong, but history suggests that denial is not going to go accepted, so I leave you to your assumptions.
                              Of course they are because I’m not in sky is falling panic mode that you seem to be stuck in. I don’t have to assume anything, I just have to watch you’re separated from reality statements and make the paranoid statements you make. Thinking Trump won because half of America are just all racist bigots is as paranoid as one can get.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I will be watching you like a hawk...
                                I would expect no less.

Comment