Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's National Address

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Trump's National Address

So I think I can summarize that relentless pack of misinformation and lies fairly easily...

(you know - there's a "p" in "raspberry")
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    So I think I can summarize that relentless pack of misinformation and lies fairly easily...
    I imagine the real question is, did it contain a single true statement?

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    I imagine the real question is, did it contain a single true statement?
    "Tonight I am speaking to you..."

It went downhill from there. What wasn't a flat-out lie was grossly misleading. There's a decent summary here.

So much for, "So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. Iím not going to blame you for it. The last time you shut it down, it didnít work. I will take the mantle of shutting down. Iím going to shut it down for border security."
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-08-2019 at 07:33 PM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So what's his justification for him suddenly throwing a tantrum over funding for his Lego wall now, as opposed to the previous two years when Republicans had control of the House? Does he have any understanding that he's less likely to get his wall now than he would have been if he'd done this six months or a year ago?

Is it just that the baby threw out his chief of staff with the bathwater, and is now running the playcenter and crying for his toys?

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    So what's his justification for him suddenly throwing a tantrum over funding for his Lego wall now, as opposed to the previous two years when Republicans had control of the House? Does he have any understanding that he's less likely to get his wall now than he would have been if he'd done this six months or a year ago?

Is it just that the baby threw out his chief of staff with the bathwater, and is now running the playcenter and crying for his toys?
    The fact is, Trump couldn't have done it two years or one year ago either, unless McConnell was willing to invoke the "nuclear" option of ending the filibuster, or bringing the required vote to end a filibuster to simple majority. But McConnell knows that is a two-edged sword. If he ends it, it will be ended when they are no longer in power as well, making the minority a powerless entity in Congress. McConnell had the votes to pass a bill with funding, but not the votes to end a filibuster.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post

(you know - there's a "p" in "raspberry")
    We are (or at least were) limited to 8 characters for site smilies.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. Ė St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    We are (or at least were) limited to 8 characters for site smilies.
    Ahh... well that explains it!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Didn't watch it.

On purpose.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Didn't watch it.

On purpose.
    I caught it.

I have to say Trump is lousy at reading speeches. Sounded just like a kid reading a paper out loud in school. He even pronounced "the" as "Thee" instead of "Thuh" - and his eyes kept flitting back and forth as he read the teleprompter. I think we can no longer make fun of Obama and the teleprompter any more.

As to the content, it was obviously written for him and didn't sound like him at all. Hardly no Trump adjectives except a "tremendous" here and there.

I think the content was nothing new. Same thing he has been saying before about needing security at the border, how innocent people are dying because of the criminals and drugs getting across the border. How the criminals are using children as a method to get across the border.

I disagree with Carp about any lies. Trump was giving his opinion and view on the matter. That isn't lying any more than it is for Carp to give his views here on Tweb. We can disagree with opinions but that isn't lying. I am sick and tired of people calling someone's view a "lie" just because they don't agree with it.

11. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.