Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 206

Thread: Trump's National Address

  1. #101
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    8,844
    Amen (Given)
    1482
    Amen (Received)
    2980
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I still want my 2015 Mattel Hoverboard and self-lacing Nike high-tops, dagnabbit!

    Attachment 34383
    To be fair, those were some of the ugliest shoes to ever grace the silver screen.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  2. #102
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,495
    Amen (Given)
    26
    Amen (Received)
    1091
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I've had to be particularly careful about its and it's.
    I will be watching you like a hawk...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

  3. #103
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,445
    Amen (Given)
    5554
    Amen (Received)
    5760
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    To be fair, those were some of the ugliest shoes to ever grace the silver screen.
    They were cool and futuristic in 1989.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  4. #104
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    8,844
    Amen (Given)
    1482
    Amen (Received)
    2980
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Actually, I am very aware of the danger of implicit bias. But I didn't start by viewing Trump as a travesty. When he came down the escalator - my views on him were actually neutral, because I didn't know much about him. My views about him developed over the following months and years as I watched his actions, listened to his language, and observed is choices. It is not "bias" to come to a conclusion about someone on the basis of observed behavior.
    And yet the same people have watched him and have come to different conclusions. It’s almost as if you keep claiming to be a centerist and yet hold to positions that dominate those on the left. You seem totally unaware of your own biasness.

    I take what he says as he says it - and evaluate it as better or worse depending on what it is. When he stands and expresses sympathy for people caught in the grips of a disaster, I applaud him. When he enacts a policy to separate children from their parents, I decry him. It is not my doing that his actions tend more to the latter than the former.
    Sorry, but reality doesn’t match up to this claim at all. You have posted classic lie list that mainly chalk up to differences in opinion and totally ignore that the same people saying, “What about the children!” Flat out lied when they posted pictures of children in cages claiming those pictures were taken under the Trump presidency when they were actually taken under the Obama presidency. Sorry, but what you ignore in calling Trump a liar is the lies his opponents spread in the process. The difference is that his opponents have a media that doesn’t care about all the lies his opponents spread and are actually active in lying themselves.

    Your perspective and opinion are noted. They're wrong, but history suggests that denial is not going to go accepted, so I leave you to your assumptions.
    Of course they are because I’m not in sky is falling panic mode that you seem to be stuck in. I don’t have to assume anything, I just have to watch you’re separated from reality statements and make the paranoid statements you make. Thinking Trump won because half of America are just all racist bigots is as paranoid as one can get.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  5. #105
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,520
    Amen (Given)
    11615
    Amen (Received)
    24840
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I will be watching you like a hawk...
    I would expect no less.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  6. #106
    God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,452
    Amen (Given)
    7918
    Amen (Received)
    8168
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    To be fair, those were some of the ugliest shoes to ever grace the silver screen.
    l0uMf4s.gif


    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

  7. #107
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,119
    Amen (Given)
    1065
    Amen (Received)
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I believe it because that is what the evidence tells me. Your inability to provide even ONE link to a cogent speech contributes to that evidence. You can claim, "I'm not interested," if you wish - but it is odd that you were interested up until I posed the challenge. And if Trump is so good - it should be an easy challenge to respond to indeed. There are MANY examples of Trump's speeches online. Just pick the one you fond to be most cogent.

    Or not. Up to you. But if you can't, I'll stick with what the evidence of my ears has shown me: Trump is a verbal nightmare.
    I would be happy to see what MM would point to. A good Trump speech is seemingly hard to find even for Mountain Man.

  8. #108
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,495
    Amen (Given)
    26
    Amen (Received)
    1091
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    And yet the same people have watched him and have come to different conclusions.
    And I think they are wrong. So the problem is...?

    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    It’s almost as if you keep claiming to be a centerist and yet hold to positions that dominate those on the left.
    Because I hold a position that is held by another group does not make it "uninformed." I also believe unions need to be better controlled and mandatory membership needs to be eliminated; a position largely held by people on the right. Does that make me automatically "biased" by the positions on the right? Bias is rooted in why someone has a position. If I have my position BECAUSE it is left-leaning, then it is biased. If I have my position because I have looked at the issues and the man and arrived at that conclusion it is not.

    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    You seem totally unaware of your own biasness.
    Your opinion is noted. You're wrong - but I'm fairly sure you won't believe that.

    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Sorry, but reality doesn’t match up to this claim at all. You have posted classic lie list that mainly chalk up to differences in opinion and totally ignore that the same people saying, “What about the children!” Flat out lied when they posted pictures of children in cages claiming those pictures were taken under the Trump presidency when they were actually taken under the Obama presidency. Sorry, but what you ignore in calling Trump a liar is the lies his opponents spread in the process. The difference is that his opponents have a media that doesn’t care about all the lies his opponents spread and are actually active in lying themselves.
    You are welcome to point out which items on my list are inaccurate. As far as I can tell - each of them deals with historical matters of fact that Trump has misrepresented, usually by providing false information. If that were done once - it could be chalked up to being a mistake. That it is repeated multiple times AFTER it has been shown to be false makes it an intentional lie.

    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Of course they are because I’m not in sky is falling panic mode that you seem to be stuck in. I don’t have to assume anything, I just have to watch you’re separated from reality statements and make the paranoid statements you make. Thinking Trump won because half of America are just all racist bigots is as paranoid as one can get.
    I don't believe I have ever said or implied that Trump won because half the country is racially bigoted - so you appear to be attributing thing to me I have not said. That seems to happen around here a great deal. However, if you disagree - simply provide a link to the post where I said anything like that.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

  9. #109
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,078
    Amen (Given)
    4878
    Amen (Received)
    21749
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Here we go.

    Sixty years ago, an episode of a TV showed called “Trackdown” told the story of a conman named Trump who warns people that the world will be destroyed and that only he can save them … by building a wall.

    https://www.thewrap.com/trump-villai...ll-save-world/

    Sound familiar?

    Wow so now you think 60 year-old fictional TV shows are exposing Trump's secret plan to you?

    Do you hear voices too?
    Last edited by Sparko; 01-11-2019 at 09:23 AM.

  10. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  11. #110
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    8,844
    Amen (Given)
    1482
    Amen (Received)
    2980
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    And I think they are wrong. So the problem is...
    Why are they wrong and you’re right?

    Because I hold a position that is held by another group does not make it "uninformed." I also believe unions need to be better controlled and mandatory membership needs to be eliminated; a position largely held by people on the right. Does that make me automatically "biased" by the positions on the right? Bias is rooted in why someone has a position. If I have my position BECAUSE it is left-leaning, then it is biased. If I have my position because I have looked at the issues and the man and arrived at that conclusion it is not.
    I know plenty of liberals and consertives that have a few opposite leaning positions and I would even say most people likely have a few positions that lean opposite from their general political leanings. That doesn’t change the fact though that most of your positions you’re commented on here show a distinct left lean with a left biasness.

    Your opinion is noted. You're wrong - but I'm fairly sure you won't believe that.
    And as you said, all I have to do is observe and while you make claims of being a centralist, most of the positions you argue in favor of are left leaning positions.

    You are welcome to point out which items on my list are inaccurate. As far as I can tell - each of them deals with historical matters of fact that Trump has misrepresented, usually by providing false information. If that were done once - it could be chalked up to being a mistake. That it is repeated multiple times AFTER it has been shown to be false makes it an intentional lie.
    As I pointed out, the whole, “Please think of the children!” line started out with a huge lie by Trump’s opponents. A fact you gloss over, why?

    I don't believe I have ever said or implied that Trump won because half the country is racially bigoted - so you appear to be attributing thing to me I have not said. That seems to happen around here a great deal. However, if you disagree - simply provide a link to the post where I said anything like that.
    Your own words:

    My issue was not with Trump - it was with Trump represented. The population of the United States put a demonstrable liar, bully, and in almost every measurable way, immoral man in the highest office in the land. They did so because he was a popular reality TV star, and he was spewing hate that they loved and glommed onto. My issue was not with Trump per se - it was with what it says about the people in this country that they would, in such numbers, support such a human being.
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 01-11-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •