Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Traditional Masculinity' Is Harmful...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

'Traditional Masculinity' Is Harmful...

The opinion of nancy boys and leftist women...

The American Psychological Association has zeroed in on the ideology of masculinity, suggesting that parents and psychologists should think twice before instilling elements of "traditional masculinity" in men and boys.

Traditional masculinity ideology – which the APA says includes elements of "anti-femininity, achievement, eschewal of the appearance of weakness, and adventure, risk, and violence" – can be psychologically harmful to men and boys, the association noted in its 36-page "APA Guidelines for the Psychological Practice with Boys and Men" that's highlighted in the latest issue of its Monitor on Psychology magazine.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national...sociation-says
    Let's check off the boxes.

1. I seldom cry or show emotion or weakness.

2. I had high risk and adventurous behavior when young.

3. I think homosexuality is immoral (homophobic?).

4. I don't use violence unless in self-defense. But I will use it.

5. I think men need to protect women.

So I guess I am a psychological mess...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    I would guess so too.

parents and psychologists should think twice before instilling elements of "traditional masculinity" in men and boys.
    The APA document accurately notes how culturally dependent and arbitrary different conceptions of masculinity can be:

Understanding the socially constructed nature of masculinity and how it affects boys and men, as well as psychologists, also is an important cultural competency (Levant & Silverstein, 2005; Liu, 2005; Mellinger & Liu, 2006; Sue & Sue, 2012). It is common to use the term “masculinities” rather than “masculinity” to acknowledge the various conceptions of masculine gender roles associated with an intersection of multiple identities (e.g., rural, working-class, adult, White masculinities may take a different form than urban, teenage, Mexican American masculinities; Kimmel & Messner, 2012). Certain forms of masculinities are more socially central and associated with authority, social power, and influence (Connell & Messerschmidt, 2005). In Western culture, the dominant ideal of masculinity has moved from an upper-class aristocratic image to a more rugged and self-sufficient ideal (Kimmel,2012)

In ancient Greece, for example, the idealized masculine warrior would wear armor shaped with more abs than a modern body-builder, be the bravest in battle, have a younger homosexual lover, and be emotionally expressive to the point of absurd tantrums.

So it's quite reasonable to ask how beneficial / harmful any particular culture's construction of "masculinity" is to the psychology of individuals involved (both to those who follow it and those who feel they fall short) and society in general. I've seen, for example, even conservatives here on TWeb critique the "rugged and self-sufficient" man ideal on the grounds that it stunts emotional development, and they feel men should learn to express their feelings and be able to receive support from others more than the ideal encourages.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

But you're not surprised, eh?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    I would guess so too.
    Pot calling the kettle black? The point is there is nothing harmful about the way I think or act. But hey if you want be emotionally expressive to the point of absurd tantrums like a 12 year old girl - feel free...
    Last edited by seer; 01-09-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

No. Just a dinosaur...a creature of your era reflecting the sexist, racist, homophobic values of your Age. Society has moved on and with it the values of your society.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

6. Amen Starlight, JimL amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Is there a similar study investigating the dangers of teaching your daughters in "traditional femininity"?

Where is the equality!

What a load of bull crap.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

8. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Is there a similar study investigating the dangers of teaching your daughters in "traditional femininity"?
    Possibly. But the stunting of emotional development, and the tendency toward isolation, and refusal to accept help even when needed, associated with ""traditional"" (i.e. mid-late 20th century white Western) masculinity is an infamous problem.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Possibly. But the stunting of emotional development, and the tendency toward isolation, and refusal to accept help even when needed, associated with ""traditional"" (i.e. mid-late 20th century white Western) masculinity is an infamous problem.
    I see you don't recognize sarcasm when you see it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

11. Amen rogue06 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Liberals have been trying to emasculate men for decades now, this is nothing new.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Liberals have been trying to emasculate men for decades now, this is nothing new.
    Exactly!