Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump and Lying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Well instead of phrasing it as a hypothetical question about the future, we can ask a concrete question about the past: At what points in the past did you vote for a Democratic nominee for President or decide not to vote due to not supporting either Presidential nominee?
    I will answer that for myself. I didn't vote in the 2008 election because I didn't like John McCain.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      I'd be very curious to know if ANYONE on this site has EVER voted for a Democratic candidate for ANY office.
      I have for local and state elections. Don't ask me who though. I just remember doing it a few times here and there. Mostly county and lower. And judges.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Oh really!
        Yes Really!!!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well- that's one way to avoid answering the question directly...
          At this point, it's the only prudent answer.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Well- that's one way to avoid answering the question directly...
            I answered the question directly and truthfully. That it is not the answer you wanted is beside the point.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              Yeah yeah, yeah we all know: "Hillary made me do it".
              No, obviously you don't know. My conscience made me do it. Hillary was absolutely totally unacceptable. Tass, you're starting to dial up the Drama Queen stuff again. Back down.

Comment

I'd be very curious to know if ANYONE on this site has EVER voted for a Democratic candidate for ANY office.
                Sure, I have. Not recently, but there used to be a good collection of conservative democrats who ran against RINO liberals. In fact, this year, I had to NOT vote the "straight party ticket" for that reason.

Comment

So - out of curiosity....

The suspected and actual Democratic field is getting pretty vast. Is there ANY candidate in that field you would vote for - or do you expect to vote for Trump again?
                  I'll say this: there is nobody in the current crop of Democrats making noise about running who I would consider voting for over Trump, but we'll see who actually gets the nomination. The problem with Democrats is that they have to run far to the left in order to secure the nomination in their own party, and then "pivot" to a more moderate platform to have any hope of winning the general, which just makes them look duplicitous and untrustworthy.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    I have. A few times for local and state office. Not lately, but I've done it. I could even see myself voting for a classic "God and country" conservative Democrat for president, but I don't think they exist anymore.
                    I think that's the whole point - the Democrat party used to be "the God and Country" party, but no more. I'm having a hard time thinking of ANY conservative Democrat, and I think the Party Platform won't allow them to be funded unless they pass the litmus test of being pro-gay and anti-abortion. I would love for somebody to point out some notable exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      I think that's the whole point - the Democrat party used to be "the God and Country" party, but no more. I'm having a hard time thinking of ANY conservative Democrat, and I think the Party Platform won't allow them to be funded unless they pass the litmus test of being pro-gay and anti-abortion. I would love for somebody to point out some notable exceptions.
                      I think Senators Bob Casey, Jr. and Joe Manchin both still identify as pro-life. I don't think WV would elect a non-conservative Democrat.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Actually, having seen how the democrats have acted over the last two years, I am determined to vote straight republican in the next election no matter who runs, Trump or someone else. I did that in the election last November. I find the way the Democratic party is acting to be deplorable. Now, if someone in the republican party were to run against Trump, I would probably vote for almost anyone over Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          I think Senators Bob Casey, Jr. and Joe Manchin both still identify as pro-life. I don't think WV would elect a non-conservative Democrat.
                          Thanks. And I can see a scenario in which I could vote for both / either.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            I'll say this: there is nobody in the current crop of Democrats making noise about running who I would consider voting for over Trump, but we'll see who actually gets the nomination. The problem with Democrats is that they have to run far to the left in order to secure the nomination in their own party, and then "pivot" to a more moderate platform to have any hope of winning the general, which just makes them look duplicitous and untrustworthy.
                            Kind of like the conundrum the Republicans are currently facing. In deeply red states, they can run in the primary on a "pro-Trump" agenda, and then maintain that in the general. But in the "purple" and "blue" states, they are on the horns of a dilemma. They have to run "pro-Trump" to win the primary (because the Republican party is now essentially the Retrumpian party), but then they need to pivot towards the center to win the general. Unfortunately, it gives the left hours of pro-Trump video and audio to use in their campaign advertising, so the left can pin them to Trump and rally the base. It's basically how the left took the house.

Senate Retrumpians are going to face that problem in bulk in 2020, when it is the Republicans that are defending a couple dozen seats - several in blue states - and the Dems that are only defending a handful.
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Actually, having seen how the democrats have acted over the last two years, I am determined to vote straight republican in the next election no matter who runs, Trump or someone else. I did that in the election last November. I find the way the Democratic party is acting to be deplorable. Now, if someone in the republican party were to run against Trump, I would probably vote for almost anyone over Trump.
                              It would be marvelous is someone primaried Trump. They are almost certain to lose that contest, given the strong support for Trump among registered Republicans. But if they then ran in the general election as an independent - they could split the Republican vote and get Trump ejected.

Of course, the same thing would happen on the other side if someone like Sanders decided to run as an independent. It would essentially ensure Trump would get a second term.
                              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

It would be marvelous is someone primaried Trump. They are almost certain to lose that contest, given the strong support for Trump among registered Republicans. But if they then ran in the general election as an independent - they could split the Republican vote and get Trump ejected.

Of course, the same thing would happen on the other side if someone like Sanders decided to run as an independent. It would essentially ensure Trump would get a second term.
                                Wouldn't it be a real hoot if we had an independent 'from' BOTH parties, that made it a real horse race?

Comment