Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Rep. Steve King A Racist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rep. Steve King A Racist?

According to the Times and others he is, here is his response:

Rep. Steve King Releases Statement – Debunks New York Times Report and Outrageous Accusations of Racism

One of my quotes in a New York Times story has been completely mischaracterized. Here’s the context I believe accurately reflects my statement.

In a 56 minute interview, we discussed the changing use of language in political discourse. We discussed the worn out label “racist” and my observation that other slanderous labels have been increasingly assigned to Conservatives by the Left, who injected into our current political dialog such terms as Nazi, Fascist, “ White Nationalist, White Supremacist,— Western Civilization, how did THAT language become offensive? Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?”…just to watch Western Civilization become a derogatory term in political discourse today. Clearly, I was only referencing Western Civilization classes. No one ever sat in a class listening to the merits of white nationalism and white supremacy.

When I used the word “THAT” it was in reference ONLY to Western Civilization and NOT to any previously stated evil ideology ALL of which I have denounced.

My record as a vocal advocate for Western Civilization is nearly as full as my record in defense of Freedom of Speech.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...ons-of-racism/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Rep. Steve King has a habit of saying things which can be construed as being racist. At the very least, he needs to be more careful about what he says.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Republicans have this nasty habit of shooting their own wounded. It's why the Democrats only have to wing a couple of them and then sit back and watch the chaos ensue. I'm really not sure how the Republican party got to this point.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I believe him but he did speak carelessly. And liberal rags like the NYT are just drooling over the chance to attack any conservative.

Comment

The left are sharks. Any perceived blood in the water, they go into a mindless frenzy and attack until there's not even enough left for the scavengers.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

This whole racist thing.... I made a comment in a sermon once about a "Negro Spiritual" that a friend of mine (an African American) loved to sing. It was a recorded message, and was widely distributed as 'proof' I'm a racist.

Perhaps I could have used a different expression, but "Negro Spiritual" is a very powerful genre of music, albeit from a dark time in our Nation's history. Another local pastor in our ministerium (a white dude) demanded I apologize. It got a little contentious, until my friend, who also happened to be my associate pastor at the time, leaned forward and said, "I asked the Pastor if my wife and I could sing a couple Negro Spirituals in the evening service - those were my words, not his". That shut everybody up.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              This whole racist thing.... I made a comment in a sermon once about a "Negro Spiritual" that a friend of mine (an African American) loved to sing. It was a recorded message, and was widely distributed as 'proof' I'm a racist.

Perhaps I could have used a different expression, but "Negro Spiritual" is a very powerful genre of music, albeit from a dark time in our Nation's history. Another local pastor in our ministerium (a white dude) demanded I apologize. It got a little contentious, until my friend, who also happened to be my associate pastor at the time, leaned forward and said, "I asked the Pastor if my wife and I could sing a couple Negro Spirituals in the evening service - those were my words, not his". That shut everybody up.
              You shouldn't be so niggardly with stories like this one.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                You shouldn't be so niggardly with stories like this one.
                EGGzackly!!!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual 'Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!'"
                  -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    "And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!'"
                    -Martin Luther King, Jr.
                    EGGzackly..... some people are just LOOKING for an excuse to virtue signal how wonderful they are by finding any kind of excuse to blast others as racist.

When I was a cop, it was really wild. I had to go into a bar to break up a fight, and an African American man yelled at another African American man, calling him the N word. Unfortunately, the man I was arresting thought I was the one who yelled, and he spun around and got in my face and yelled angrily "Did you call me a (N word)?!?!?!" Before I could even respond, he yelled, "You can call me Nigga, but don't EVER call me (the N word)". Fun times, those were.

Comment

There's a definite double-standard out there. I worked tech on a show last year where one performer was a comedian with Indian heritage (as in he's from India, not that he shares DNA with Elizabeth Warren), and he was doing question/answer with the audience. He asked one girl what she and friends liked to do during the summer, and she said they liked to go to the beach and walk on the boardwalk, and he laughed and said, "Man, that's such a white girl answer!" and received applause from the audience. Now imagine the outrage if a white comedian told a black audience member, "Man, that's such a black girl answer!"

Comment

The left likes to wield authority like a club, and think they gain power by forcing people to apologize for perceived slights. It's the whole "I'm a victim and you hurt me, so apologize or I will ruin your reputation" thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I believe him but he did speak carelessly. And liberal rags like the NYT are just drooling over the chance to attack any conservative.
                          ... especially conservatives who refer to “liberal rags”.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            There's a definite double-standard out there. I worked tech on a show last year where one performer was a comedian with Indian heritage (as in he's from India, not that he shares DNA with Elizabeth Warren), and he was doing question/answer with the audience. He asked one girl what she and friends liked to do during the summer, and she said they liked to go to the beach and walk on the boardwalk, and he laughed and said, "Man, that's such a white girl answer!" and received applause from the audience. Now imagine the outrage if a white comedian told a black audience member, "Man, that's such a black girl answer!"
                            “is it ‘cos I is black?” – Ali G – Sacha Baron Cohen – a white Jew – who plays an uneducated, misogynistic, black man from Staines – humour for sophisticated white people? I agree that we need much more politically incorrect humour and swearing but politicians should be polite to everybody.
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                              ... especially conservatives who refer to “liberal rags”.

Are you feeling OK? Your trolling has really gone downhill lately.

Comment