Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Brexit vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you see the smoke from Deer Park where you are?
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      Can you see the smoke from Deer Park where you are?
      I just saw on the News this morning that it should be visible over us today in the form of a haze, and "air quality" is supposed to be "in the yellow" because of it.

I'm at the top left of that smoke tail area.
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 03-20-2019, 09:56 AM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

EU offers short delay with strings. Ball now back in UK parliament’s court to agree the deal on offer or come up with a new plan.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I just saw on the News this morning that it should be visible over us today in the form of a haze, and "air quality" is supposed to be "in the yellow" because of it.

I'm at the top left of that smoke tail area.
          And the satellite pic confirms it:
          cpathome.jpeg
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

PM will resign if her Brexit deal passes another vote, assuming the speaker allows it. In the meantime, MP’s are trying to reach a consensus.

Comment

PM will resign if her Brexit deal passes another vote, assuming the speaker allows it. In the meantime, MP’s are trying to reach a consensus.
              mp.jpg
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And now, all 8 options have failed to secure a majority. We need some Holy intervention.

Comment

And now, all 8 options have failed to secure a majority. We need some Holy intervention.
                  Well unfortunately Trump is busy over here and can't help.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Well unfortunately Trump is busy over here and can't help.

We have our own buffoon in the form of Boris Johnson

Comment

• Need some red hats that say MUKGA

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Need some red hats that say MUKGA
                        Oh yes - red hats. Red hats are good for curing everything. They are the panacea for all ills ... or should that be "placebo"?
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          Oh yes - red hats. Red hats are good for curing everything. They are the panacea for all ills ... or should that be "placebo"?
                          Well you can't wear them down under because they would keep falling off into the sky.

Comment

• The situation remains very fluid:

Monday, 1 April: MPs hold another set of votes on Brexit options to see if they can agree on a way forward.

Wednesday, 3 April: Potentially another round of so-called "indicative votes".

Wednesday, 10 April: Emergency summit of EU leaders to consider any UK request for further extension.

Friday, 12 April: Brexit day, if UK does not seek/EU does not grant further delay.
                            - BBC

Comment

• Vote leave found guilty of illegal overspending during referendum

Originally posted by article
                              Vote Leave had been “outspent” by Remain and that it had "destroyed some of the evidential basis people are asking for" after deleting its data.

[...]

It comes after the Electoral Commission confirmed on Friday that Vote Leave had dropped its appeal against a £61,000 fine for electoral spending offences during the EU referendum.
                              So the day we were due to leave the EU, Boris Johnson and others quietly drop the defense that they broke electoral law and overspent during the referendum.

Now, normally this would essentially make the whole thing void and they'd have to do it again, or at least start proceedings to do so. However they can't as it is an advisory referendum and thus government and Parliament can ignore it should they choose.

However they can't, as it is politically binding, if not actually binding by law. In other words, the muppets in charge assumed they'd win (both leave and remain were managed by the Tories) and so said they'd follow through with whatever the public voted for, forgetting that the public may decide to stick the middle finger up at the government for years of oppressive austerity measures.

So the government and parliament have to stick to an illegal advisory referendum and knowingly vote for something they know to be hugely damaging to the country- both politically and economically- otherwise they'd annoy a selection of the electorate who believed years of lies by a right wing press and the charlatans who lied to them throughout the campaign.

I'm so proud right now.

Comment

• The deadlock continues;

The Speaker John Bercow picked four of the eight amendments put forward for debate:
                                ■ Motion C: Committing the government to negotiating "a permanent and comprehensive UK-wide customs union with the EU" as part of any Brexit deal - proposed by Tory former chancellor Ken Clarke
                                ■ Motion D: Referred to as Common Market 2.0, this option would mean joining the European Free Trade Association and European Economic Area - proposed by Tory MP Nick Boles
                                ■ Motion E: This is for a confirmatory referendum, giving the public a vote to approve any Brexit deal passed by Parliament before it can be implemented - proposed by Labour MPs Peter Kyle and Phil Wilson
                                ■ Motion G: The motion aims to prevent the UK leaving without a deal, including a vote on whether to revoke Article 50 - stopping Brexit - if the EU does not agree to an extension - proposed by the SNP's Joanna Cherry
                                He did not choose motions calling for a unilateral exit to the backstop, to leave on 12 April without a deal, to hold a referendum in the case of no-deal or to rejoin the European Free Trade Association.
                                -BBC

Comment