Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Brexit vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brexit vote

PM looses vote 202 to 432. Biggest defeat since 1920’s. Confidence vote tomorrow. If gov looses that, May resigns and Gen election will follow. What a shambles?!
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

So, basically, Democracy goes out the window where democracy is supposed to be the rule.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

So exactly what was in the deal that they rejected?

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        PM looses vote 202 to 432. Biggest defeat since 1920’s. Confidence vote tomorrow. If gov looses that, May resigns and Gen election will follow. What a shambles?!
        My impression is that the British want to leave, but not on the EU's terms.

Do you think this will come to a "no agreement" exit?
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          So, basically, Democracy goes out the window where democracy is supposed to be the rule.
          This was the 'meaningful vote' on the Withdrawal Agreement. No country has exited the EU before so it's bound to be tricky. Brexit will happen but exactly how is yet to be decided ... unless it all goes off the rails.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Are they gonna build a wall in Ireland?

Comment

I haven't really been following this closely, and I don't know all the politics involved, but what I'm getting from this whole fiasco is that a majority of citizens voted a year ago for Britain to leave the European Union, and the politicians are doing everything they can to override the will of the people. Is that about right?

Of course everything I know about British politics I learned from watching Yes, Minister:

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Are they gonna build a wall in Ireland?

The Irish border is definately a serious stumbling block.
                For Brexiteers, the Irish "backstop" has become a dirty word, handcuffing the UK to the EU’s customs union and taking away Britain’s chance to strike trade deals around the world for the foreseeable future.

When the history of Brexit is written, there will be long arguments over whether the "backstop" could have been avoided, but even before the Brexit vote (2016), it was clear that Ireland was going to present a major impediment to the UK’s departure from the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I haven't really been following this closely, and I don't know all the politics involved, but what I'm getting from this whole fiasco is that a majority of citizens voted a year ago for Britain to leave the European Union, and the politicians are doing everything they can to override the will of the people. Is that about right?

Of course everything I know about British politics I learned from watching Yes Minister.
                  The Gov. is trying to deliver Brexit but has failed to develop a consensus about the details of the withdrawal. Unless it is revoked, Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union ensures that the UK leaves the EU whether it has an agreement or not, on 29th March this year.

Comment

Of course everything I know about British politics I learned from watching Yes, Minister:

No they are leaving the EU in March. This is about striking a deal with the EU on the exit, like how to handle trade, borders, EU citizens living in the UK and vice versa, and apparently how much money the UK has to pay the EU (I have no idea what for)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      No they are leaving the EU in March. This is about striking a deal with the EU on the exit, like how to handle trade, borders, EU citizens living in the UK and vice versa, and apparently how much money the UK has to pay the EU (I have no idea what for)
                      Ah, well, like I said, I haven't really been following it.

One thing I do know: the EU has largely been a failure.

Comment

This is from FOX:

"The deal was doomed by deep opposition from both sides of the divide over U.K.'s place in the bloc. Pro-Brexit lawmakers say the deal will leave Britain bound indefinitely to EU rules, while pro-EU politicians favor an even closer economic relationship with Europe."
                        https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...tish-lawmakers

It sounds like the PM was trying to create a deal that would have effectively kept Britain in the EU in some unofficial capacity. So my earlier summation wasn't entirely off the mark.

Comment

“Better a horrible ending than unending horror.” , says Germany.

Comment

Essentially what happened is a lot of Brexiteers on the Conservative side voted against it since it would pretty much leave us as a vassel state to the EU still signed up to most of it but with no voting rights.
                            “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

This is from FOX:

"The deal was doomed by deep opposition from both sides of the divide over U.K.'s place in the bloc. Pro-Brexit lawmakers say the deal will leave Britain bound indefinitely to EU rules, while pro-EU politicians favor an even closer economic relationship with Europe."
                              https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...tish-lawmakers

It sounds like the PM was trying to create a deal that would have effectively kept Britain in the EU in some unofficial capacity. So my earlier summation wasn't entirely off the mark.
                              The Brexiteers who voted against it are going for a no deal exit which they hope will happen if a deal isn't agreed upon by end of March.
                              “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment