Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Brexit vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    He can actually turn in a written script - that's been done before.
    He could send them hamburgers along with a note.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      He could send them hamburgers along with a note.
      How bout....

And make their HEADS EXPLODE!!!!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Aaand back to Trump and his wall...

Comment

Oops... I think we got our threads mixed up.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
            Aaand back to Trump and his wall...
            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Oops... I think we got our threads mixed up.
            Nope - Sparko dun it!

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Are they gonna build a wall in Ireland?

But blame Chuck!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The Buzzfeed atricle may very well signal the beginning of the end of Trump.

https://abovethelaw.com/2019/01/dona...-legally-over/
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

I think you've got your threads mixed up.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Except... Mueller team disputes BuzzFeed report claiming Trump told Cohen to lie

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

...and on top of that, Cohen is already established as a liar, so what grounds are there for accepting this alleged statement as true other than "makes Trump look bad"?
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Is the fog beginning to clear? Let’s keep our fingers crossed.
                      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Is the fog beginning to clear? Let’s keep our fingers crossed.
                        Since you're closer to this whole Brexit thing, do us a solid and keep us informed, hey?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Since you're closer to this whole Brexit thing, do us a solid and keep us informed, hey?
                          BBC News Summary of Commons votes tonight:

MPs reject all but two amendments to Theresa May's Brexit plan
                          MPs back amendments by Tories Sir Graham Brady and Dame Caroline Spelman
                          The Brady measure tells the PM to seek an alternative to the Irish backstop
                          Dame Caroline's amendment rejected leaving the EU without a withdrawal deal
                          Amendments by senior MPs Grieve, Cooper and Reeves defeated
                          The prime minister says she wants to reopen the withdrawal agreement
                          The EU says the withdrawal agreement is not open for renegotiation

Two weeks ago the PM’s Brexit plan was rejected by Parliament. Now we know what style of plan would be accepted by The Commons but there are still loose ends and the EU have said so far that they will not renegotiate.

The backstop is a position of last resort, to maintain an open border on the island of Ireland in the event that the UK leaves the EU without securing an all-encompassing deal. The EU originally proposed a backstop that would mean Northern Ireland staying in the EU customs union, large parts of the single market and the EU VAT system. Its chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, continually emphasised that this backstop could only apply to Northern Ireland.

If a backstop only applied to Northern Ireland, then the customs and regulatory border would essentially be drawn down the middle of the Irish Sea. Goods coming into Northern Ireland from elsewhere in the UK would have to be checked to make sure they met EU standards. Any separate status for Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK is seen as potentially damaging to the union as a whole.

After months of an impasse, on 14 November 2018, Theresa May said her cabinet had backed a draft deal between UK-EU negotiators that included agreement on a backstop. It would see Northern Ireland staying aligned to some rules of the EU single market, if another solution cannot be found by the end of the transition period in December 2020. That means that goods coming into Northern Ireland would need to be checked to see if they meet EU standards. It would also involve a temporary single custom territory effectively keeping the whole of the UK in the EU customs union - unless and until both the EU and UK agree that it is no longer necessary.

- BBC

Brussels is not happy and it looks like they are not going to play along. Some more diplomacy to go, but it needs to get a move on.

Comment

BBC News Summary of Commons votes tonight:

MPs reject all but two amendments to Theresa May's Brexit plan
                            MPs back amendments by Tories Sir Graham Brady and Dame Caroline Spelman
                            The Brady measure tells the PM to seek an alternative to the Irish backstop
                            Dame Caroline's amendment rejected leaving the EU without a withdrawal deal
                            Amendments by senior MPs Grieve, Cooper and Reeves defeated
                            The prime minister says she wants to reopen the withdrawal agreement
                            The EU says the withdrawal agreement is not open for renegotiation

Two weeks ago the PM’s Brexit plan was rejected by Parliament. Now we know what style of plan would be accepted by The Commons but there are still loose ends and the EU have said so far that they will not renegotiate.

The backstop is a position of last resort, to maintain an open border on the island of Ireland in the event that the UK leaves the EU without securing an all-encompassing deal. The EU originally proposed a backstop that would mean Northern Ireland staying in the EU customs union, large parts of the single market and the EU VAT system. Its chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, continually emphasised that this backstop could only apply to Northern Ireland.

If a backstop only applied to Northern Ireland, then the customs and regulatory border would essentially be drawn down the middle of the Irish Sea. Goods coming into Northern Ireland from elsewhere in the UK would have to be checked to make sure they met EU standards. Any separate status for Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK is seen as potentially damaging to the union as a whole.

After months of an impasse, on 14 November 2018, Theresa May said her cabinet had backed a draft deal between UK-EU negotiators that included agreement on a backstop. It would see Northern Ireland staying aligned to some rules of the EU single market, if another solution cannot be found by the end of the transition period in December 2020. That means that goods coming into Northern Ireland would need to be checked to see if they meet EU standards. It would also involve a temporary single custom territory effectively keeping the whole of the UK in the EU customs union - unless and until both the EU and UK agree that it is no longer necessary.

- BBC

Brussels is not happy and it looks like they are not going to play along. Some more diplomacy to go, but it needs to get a move on.
                            So two questions...

A) What do you think will happen?
                            2) What do you wish would happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              So two questions...

A) What do you think will happen?
                              2) What do you wish would happen?
                              The Irish border issue is very tricky and HMG and the EU does not want to undermine the Good Friday Agreement. The problem has to do with dual citizenship.

"It is the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose, and accordingly [the two governments] confirm that their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland."

Brexiteers don’t want the backstop. May has to find an alternative arrangement??? The EU needs to agree!!! I don’t see the way forwards at the moment and most Brits don’t have a clue about the issues at stake.

I expect we will land up with a deal pretty similar to the one the PM negotiated but with some backstop exit strategy bolted on. Personally, I voted in 2016 to remain in the EU, but there’s no going back now.

Comment

The Irish border issue is very tricky and HMG and the EU does not want to undermine the Good Friday Agreement. The problem has to do with dual citizenship.

"It is the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose, and accordingly [the two governments] confirm that their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland."

Brexiteers don’t want the backstop. May has to find an alternative arrangement??? The EU needs to agree!!! I don’t see the way forwards at the moment and most Brits don’t have a clue about the issues at stake.

I expect we will land up with a deal pretty similar to the one the PM negotiated but with some backstop exit strategy bolted on. Personally, I voted in 2016 to remain in the EU, but there’s no going back now.
                                Thanks. I appreciate your perspective on this.

Comment