Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Brexit vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From an outsider's perspective... it seems to me that the MP's simply don't want Brexit and will do whatever they need to in order to sabotage what was voted upon by the people...
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      From an outsider's perspective... it seems to me that the MP's simply don't want Brexit and will do whatever they need to in order to sabotage what was voted upon by the people...
      Yeah, but that just seems so odd to me - like they'd have more power as their own entity, rather than being subservient (in a sense) to a bigger conglomerate. (But, then again, I'm an American Exceptionalist)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

From an outsider's perspective... it seems to me that the MP's simply don't want Brexit and will do whatever they need to in order to sabotage what was voted upon by the people...
        Well, the people spoke, and then they spoke again ...

Negotiating with a 27-member entity is tough. By nature, committees are slow. The Leavers and arch-Leavers in May’s caucus got restive, and she panicked. Lacking even the outline of a deal, she announced in October 2016 that she would trigger the two-year process to quit the EU no later than the end of the first quarter of 2017. On March 29, 2017, she honored her promise.

To strengthen her hand against the Leavers and arch-Leavers in her caucus, May called for elections for June 2017. She asked the voters for a mandate for “strong and stable leadership.” Instead, they took away her parliamentary majority. She lost 13 seats, and found herself and her government more dependent on marginal members of Parliament than ever before.
        https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...d-idea/584524/

I don't think the people will have another chance to get what they want ... to remain in the EU.

A petition calling for the UK to stay in the EU, which has amassed more than six million signatures, has been debated in Parliament.

The petition, demanding Article 50 be revoked, is the most popular since the e-petitions site launched.

Two other petitions were debated in the Westminster Hall chamber.

One, demanding a new referendum, has over 180,000 signatures. The other, urging MPs to "honour the referendum result", has more than 170,000.

The government has said it will not revoke Article 50 and it is working to deliver a deal that "ensures the UK leaves the EU".
        - BBC
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• so isn't the firstfloor actually the second floor of a building over in europe?

Comment

In fairness to some MPs, the public were promised the undeliverable. They were promised sunlit uplands and easy trade deals etc etc - none of which was ever realisitc (most of it bonkers actually), and this has been shown to be the case in the last few year. A new vote is actually the only way through this impasse.

We should have as many votes as there are good reasons for holding them.

Losing - obviously - is not a good reason.

An unsafe result (which would have been struck down by the courts if it hadn't been advisory-only) is an excellent reason. Everybody is ignoring this fact but there is no valid mandate for Brexit.

Another (possibly) good reason is that a tiny majority doesn't look very reliable three years on with so much more new information. The EU did not cave. Trade deals will not be easy and they will not be as good as the ones we could have with the clout of the EU behind us. Countries like the US, Japan & China are eagerly lining up to exploit our vulnerability. So many glib promises have been shown to be false. Do people still feel the same way? Unlikely.

None of the options on the table now were being discussed in 2016, so there's no democratic mandate for any of them.

Comment

• Also, it wasn't a referendum, though it continues to be called it. It was a non-binding plebiscite. In order to have a referendum, there needs to be a parliamentary bill that sets out in full detail what a change will entail, if the public votes for change; And what the minimum margin of victory to trigger change needs to be (typically this will be a supermajority of 67% or more).

Comment

• Well that explains why there wasn't a referendum at least.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Tearful Theresa to step down on 7th June.
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                    Tearful Theresa to step down on 7th June.
                    Life will go on. When Rachel steps down, however, there will be no consoling you.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Tearful Theresa to step down on 7th June.
                      So who replaces her? Who'll end up being the next leader? That Boris guy [ETA: Boris Johnson], or someone else?
                      Last edited by rogue06; 05-24-2019, 05:54 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• A commentator said about Boris (the favorite) that his naked ambition far outweighs his ability. We don’t know who the candidates are yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Life will go on. When Rachel steps down, however, there will be no consoling you.
                          Rachel’s 24th May show is very interesting. The way things are shaping up, life will go on, but maybe not as usual.

Comment

Rachel’s 24th May show is very interesting. The way things are shaping up, life will go on, but maybe not as usual.
                            But, sadly, she's losing steam.

Maddow, other MSNBC hosts see ratings drop, Fox up

NEW YORK (AP) — Rachel Maddow isn’t backing away from her coverage of President Donald Trump and any connection to Russia’s involvement in trying to influence the 2016 presidential campaign. The question is how much her fans want to listen.

Maddow’s audience has dipped on her two days back on the air since Attorney General William Barr reported that special counsel Robert Mueller had found no collusion between Trump and Russia’s efforts. Her audience of 2.5 million on Monday was 19 percent below her average this year, and it went down further to 2.3 million on Tuesday, the Nielsen company said.

Perhaps she needs to add a couple shots to her espresso?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              But, sadly, she's losing steam.

Maddow, other MSNBC hosts see ratings drop, Fox up

NEW YORK (AP) — Rachel Maddow isn’t backing away from her coverage of President Donald Trump and any connection to Russia’s involvement in trying to influence the 2016 presidential campaign. The question is how much her fans want to listen.

Maddow’s audience has dipped on her two days back on the air since Attorney General William Barr reported that special counsel Robert Mueller had found no collusion between Trump and Russia’s efforts. Her audience of 2.5 million on Monday was 19 percent below her average this year, and it went down further to 2.3 million on Tuesday, the Nielsen company said.

Perhaps she needs to add a couple shots to her espresso?
                              Rachel’s show on Saturday was reporting about unusual new powers given to AG Barr to uncover the source of intelligence about Russian interference in the election, someone inside the Kremlin, whose name, Vlad would love to know. One hopes that US security services have what it takes to defend US interests against pro-Kremlin elements in the GOP and the Executive.

Comment

Rachel’s show on Saturday was reporting about unusual new powers given to AG Barr to uncover the source of intelligence about Russian interference in the election, someone inside the Kremlin, whose name, Vlad would love to know. One hopes that US security services have what it takes to defend US interests against pro-Kremlin elements in the GOP and the Executive.
                                Wait --- the AG has been authorized to make things TRANSPARENT!!!! EGAD, man, what is the world coming to?

Comment