Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Brexit vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Thanks. I appreciate your perspective on this.
    There is much more that could be said. The border in Ireland is currently invisible. At Brexit it becomes the visible boundary of the EU. All acknowledge that this would be disastrous for peace in NI.

Will update later.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Last night's votes were a major embarrassment. As is noted here:

Sensible propositions had been put before them to give them power over the Brexit process. They rejected them one after another. Dominic Grieve wanted to give MPs six days to explore options and direct the government. They voted to deny themselves this powepr by 301 to 321. Yvette Cooper wanted to give them the power to extend Article 50 if it looked like Britain was about to crash out the EU without a deal. They voted to deny themselves this power by 298 to 321.

The one and only glimmer of hope was an amendment from Caroline Spelman which said MPs rejected leaving the EU without a deal, but contained no actual mechanisms to enforce it. This MPs accepted by 318 to 310. So they were insisting that no-deal should be ruled out but refusing to take any role whatsoever in preventing it themselves. They were like babies in suits.
      What a shambles.

Comment

Any new developments on the Brexit front?
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          This just in...

Theresa May humiliated as she loses ANOTHER Brexit vote after Tory MPs pull their support

THERESA May has once again been humiliated over Brexit after Tory MPs pulled their support for her plans.

The PM’s strategy was left in tatters on Valentine's Day after more than 50 Brexiteers refused to back a motion of support for her, leaving it to be defeated by 303 votes to 258.

Furious Brexiteers said the motion would effectively rule out Britain leaving without a deal, and destroy our negotiating hand.

But she vowed to push on ahead with her Brexit plans anyway, insisting that fighting to rip up the hated Northern Irish backstop was the only thing Parliament had said they wanted her to do so far.

A Downing Street spokesperson blamed Jeremy Corbyn for "putting partisan considerations ahead of the national interest" and "voting to make No Deal more likely".

They also noted the "concerns" of Brexiteers who voted the motion down because they thought it would effectively take away the threat of leaving without a deal.

No10 added: "The motion on January 29 remains the only one the House of Commons has passed expressing what it does want – and that is legally binding changes to address concerns about the backstop.

"The Government will continue to pursue this with the EU to ensure we leave on time on March 29."

A total of 59 Brexit hardliners either abstained or voted against the motion after a meeting of the European Research Group headed by Jacob Rees-Mogg.

And another 10 Tory MPs who back a second referendum refused to back the Government.

The defeat represents the eighth time Mrs May has lost a Commons vote on Brexit and a fresh humiliation as she battles to save her deal.

Critics blasted the PM for not even turning up to see the result of the showdown....
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The main political parties seem to be tearing themselves apart. The vote tonight was about ensuring that the no-deal Brexit possibility remained the default outcome in the event of a failure to reach an agreement with the EU that Parliament approves – I think!
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

This just in...
              If the UK goes belly up, can I come and live with you?

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                If the UK goes belly up, can I come and live with you?
                Jake might share his crib.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jake might share his crib.
                  That’s not a bad offer, CP, thanks. They say that beggars can’t be choosers.

Comment

Any comments from across the pond on the Brexit-spawned new party?
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Any comments from across the pond on the Brexit-spawned new party?
                      So far, a total of 11 MP’s from the Labour Party and the Conservative Party are standing together on the centre ground of politics, fed up with anti-semitism in the Labour Party, and no-deal Brexiteers in the Conservative Party. There is no new Party at this point. Some people are calling for By-Elections.

The craziness is getting well out of hand.

Comment

So far, a total of 11 MP’s from the Labour Party and the Conservative Party are standing together on the centre ground of politics, fed up with anti-semitism in the Labour Party, and no-deal Brexiteers in the Conservative Party. There is no new Party at this point. Some people are calling for By-Elections.

I think you should call them up and offer to get this thing back on track.

Comment

I think you should call them up and offer to get this thing back on track.
                          I probably should do exactly that, but I am somewhat distracted by the worry that if break dancing became an Olympic sport it would loose a degree of authenticity.

Comment

Interesting. It's been reported over here that they were forming a new party, with a platform and everything.

sigpic

Comment

As an army brat, every time I see MP's I think "Military Police"

Comment

On Tuesday, there will be a full day debate followed by a final vote on May’s deal. It is currently expected to be rejected, in which case votes on the following days will seek to clarify the way forwards.

They should have hired Trump.

Comment