Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So what is this toxic masculinity thing anyhow?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Being decent to women is just training for when it's actually necessary to rescue the "next generation". No harm in being nice to women, Tass.
    My argument is that we should be equally “decent” to everyone and meet needs wherever and however they arise, As for “rescuing the next generation”, fully-paid maternity leave is a very good start. Most western countries guarantee mothers more than a year of paid maternity leave to nurture the “next generation”. The U.S. guarantees them nothing.

Don't know why you are so anti-woman!
    Far from it, believe me.

You bet! And men treating women and children with a little more priority than other men is just icing on the cake. Getting prepared for that big crisis!
    It depends upon circumstances, there shouldn’t be a fixed rule. And why do you assume that it must be men who deal with “that big crisis”. Women have proven themselves just as competent as men in dealing with crises.

She's doing great - surgery went well, recovery is proceeding nicely, she comes home from the hospital tomorrow.
    Glad to hear it, good news.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      My argument is that we should be equally “decent” to everyone
      I agree! I just think we should be slightly more polite to women. And it just makes sense that, if there will come a time where men need to rescue "the next generation", we'll have that in our minds to step it up a notch.

To, tell me, who does that hurt? You think most men are gonna get triggered if I offer to let a lady go before me in or out of an elevator? What's your point in all of this? It's not like men are treated "worse".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It depends upon circumstances, there shouldn’t be a fixed rule. And why do you assume that it must be men who deal with “that big crisis”. Women have proven themselves just as competent as men in dealing with crises.
        GENERALLY, in the US, the average man is bigger and stronger than the average woman. In the type of crisis like the sinking of a ship, or where physical ability is needed, that can have its advantages.

height.jpg

To whom much is given, much is required! (I can add weight and strength if you'd like)
        Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-07-2019, 07:51 AM.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I have no desire to re-engage with the discussion in this thread, but this podcast came up in my feed and I found it relevant. It's worth a listen for anyone interested in the challenge of breaking down gender stereotypes.

And had unsubscribed from the thread and will be doing so again. PM me if you want to engage in a 1-on-1 discussion about the topic.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
            I wonder if these leftist really treat women that way?
            Just out of curiosity, why do you treat women with a respect that you don't give to men?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Just out of curiosity, why do you treat women with a respect that you don't give to men?
              I generally won't go out of my way to hold the door for a guy (unless he is right there) I have never offered to carry a guys groceries...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The point remains. I specifically indicated that I wasn’t suggesting forcing yourself out past women to exit the elevator. Perhaps the nearest to the door should exist first, or is this concept too alien for the likes of you?

How about simply treating everybody, male and female, with equal respect and courtesy. Although I realize it may be difficult for you to come to terms with this bizarre notion, you can at least try to adapt to the modern world.
                Well today the Toxic Females got payback on me. Three of them were getting on the elevator as I approached and.... They let the elevator door close in my face rather than politely holding it open for me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Well today the Toxic Females got payback on me. Three of them were getting on the elevator as I approached and.... They let the elevator door close in my face rather than politely holding it open for me!
                  You can get even by being extra nice to the next female you see on the elevator - THAT will show them!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                    You need to ask yourself why such "traditional displays of respect towards women" arose in the first place.
                    It arose because men saw it as their duty to protect women because it's a biological fact that on average women are physically weaker than men. Letting a woman go first allows the man to keep her in his sight and protect her from any harm that might come her way.

And before you object to the "women are physically weaker" part, suppose you were picking a security detail for yourself. Who would you rather surround yourself with: male security guards, or female security guards?
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Since the discussion has gotten to holding doors open for people, can we talk about the most serious transgression, that we can all doubtlessly agree on?

holding doors.jpg
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        You can get even by being extra nice to the next female you see on the elevator - THAT will show them!!!
                        That is exactly what I did!

Today at lunch I entered the elevator first!

But only so I could keep the door open for the woman who was a few paces behind me! She said, "Thank you!"

It's good to be toxic again. It was not pleasant being a woke male who wasn't toxic and treating women like crap. I have learned my lesson.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          She said, "Thank you!"
                          Yes, but what she meant was "Check your toxic masculinity, you chauvinistic pig! I'm perfectly capable of opening a door myself, and don't you forget it!"
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Yes, but what she meant was "Check your toxic masculinity, you chauvinistic pig! I'm perfectly capable of opening a door myself, and don't you forget it!"
                            Pirates are so easily fooled!
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              But how do I know she was really a she? Maybe she identified as a man and then I was just being polite to a man like Tassman said I should.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                                Since the discussion has gotten to holding doors open for people, can we talk about the most serious transgression, that we can all doubtlessly agree on?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34933[/ATTACH]
                                Yeah, cause, at some point, you're kinda obligating them to rush.

Comment