Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So what is this toxic masculinity thing anyhow?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Personally, I think femininity/feminism can be "toxic" as well. If I open a door for a woman as an act of courtesy, and I am rewarded with a "yet another male chauvinist pig," I tend to think of that as "toxic feminity/feminism.
    On the contrary, she's simply aware of the microaggression and inherent biases that your own toxic masculinity blinds you to.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      On the contrary, she's simply aware of the microaggression and inherent biases that your own toxic masculinity blinds you to.

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• It's always hilarious when you feign confusion.

Comment

It's always hilarious when you feign confusion.
          You guys just cannot help yourself when it comes to trying to read minds...

The confusion was not feigned, but I'm sure that will not be believed.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• In that case, I'm somewhat at loss as to how I could make my point any more clear.

It ties back to always seeing what you want to see. A woman who has been thoroughly steeped in "toxic masculinity" propaganda will regard even the most well-intentioned gesture with suspicion because she just "knows" that you're being sexist even if you're not consciously aware of it because of certain biases that, in her mind, are inherent to all males.

Comment

You guys just cannot help yourself when it comes to trying to read minds...

The confusion was not feigned, but I'm sure that will not be believed.
              I believe you are honestly confused.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• From now on when I hold a door open for a women, and she goes through and says, "Thank you" I think I will just say "You're welcome. I'm just being toxic. Have a nice day!"

Comment

In that case, I'm somewhat at loss as to how I could make my point any more clear.

It ties back to always seeing what you want to see. A woman who has been thoroughly steeped in "toxic masculinity" propaganda will regard even the most well-intentioned gesture with suspicion because she just "knows" that you're being sexist even if you're not consciously aware of it because of certain biases that, in her mind, are inherent to all males.
                  Yes - that is possible. The fact that someone can mistake one thing for another does not negate the fact that "toxic masculinity" exists. If you don't like the term "toxic masculinity," then use something else. The fact is, males who objectify women, treat them as second class citizens, and demean them in the belief that men are simply better and more entitled exist. It can be gross or subtle. The gross is the man who gives a woman a roofie or other drug to gain advantage, notches their belt with every "sexual conquest," or leverages their power in the workplace. The subtle is the difference between the man who opens the door with "let me get that for you," versus the man who opens the door with "there, y'are, little lady."

We live in a world that has been historically dominated by men - and vestiges of that remain all around us. Those are the things I tend to associate with "toxic masculinity."

Comment

The subtle is the difference between the man who opens the door with "let me get that for you," versus the man who opens the door with "there, y'are, little lady."
                    So talking like a Texan is what makes a man toxic. Good to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      So talking like a Texan is what makes a man toxic. Good to know.
                      The example was intended to demonstrate that a man condescending to a woman because he's a man and she's a woman is one example of what is considered "toxic masculinity."

Comment

...The subtle is the difference between the man who opens the door with "let me get that for you," versus the man who opens the door with "there, y'are, little lady."...
                        meh... even before "toxic masculinity" was invented, I would get pretty put out by men in my company at a restaurant who would address the waitress as "sweetie" or "honey" or "darlin".... Most women can tell when a man is being genuinely gentlemanly.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The example was intended to demonstrate that a man condescending to a woman because he's a man and she's a woman is one example of what is considered "toxic masculinity."
                          We always called that "a jerk".

Comment

But you would be the one assuming his motivation. He might be doing it because he respects women and was taught to do it because that is how you show respect to a lady. So yes, he was doing it because he is a man and she was a woman, but it was not being condescending.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              meh... even before "toxic masculinity" was invented, I would get pretty put out by men in my company at a restaurant who would address the waitress as "sweetie" or "honey" or "darlin".... Most women can tell when a man is being genuinely gentlemanly.
                              Agreed. "Toxic masculinity" is just a convenient handle to label a phenomenon. Jerk is the "super class." Sometimes, the beginning of dealing with a problem is naming it. "Jerk" is too broad for that purpose with respect to this specific issue.

But I agree - if everyone stopped being a jerk - "toxic masculinity" would go with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Most waitresses will put up with it and even flirt back because they know it means a bigger tip.

Comment