Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So what is this toxic masculinity thing anyhow?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    England did not rule Scotland at the time - the two countries were separate entities. They'd even been invading each other. The act of union wasn't until 150 years later.

It's trivial to check this kind of thing before posting.

On 1 July 1543, when Mary queen of Scots was six months old, the Treaty of Greenwich was signed, which promised that, at the age of ten, Mary would marry Edward and move to England, where Henry VIII could oversee her upbringing. The treaty provided that the two countries would remain legally separate and that if the couple should fail to have children the temporary union would dissolve.
    Yeah. That's what I get for posting on the subject without talking to my kid... however, she says many considered Mary the rightful
    Ruler of England

However, many of Elizabeth's Catholic subjects believed that Mary, Queen of Scots was the rightful queen of England, since she was the senior descendant of Henry VIII's elder sister.

So, I will restate my claim to be more accurate. Mary was a queen of Scotland and was subservient to no one. Her husbands were granted the title of King while they were married to her and her religion played a major part in her rule.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Yeah. That's what I get for posting on the subject without talking to my kid... however, she says many considered Mary the rightful
      Ruler of England

However, many of Elizabeth's Catholic subjects believed that Mary, Queen of Scots was the rightful queen of England, since she was the senior descendant of Henry VIII's elder sister.
      Many Americans consider Clinton to be the rightful POTUS. They're about as justified as the English Catholics were.
      So, I will restate my claim to be more accurate. Mary was a queen of Scotland and was subservient to no one. Her husbands were granted the title of King while they were married to her and her religion played a major part in her rule.
      But that still has no bearing on Tassman's statement about consorts of Queens regnant of England.

How does it feel to be corrected by Tassman?
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Many Americans consider Clinton to be the rightful POTUS.
        There's actually a cite for that, I presume?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Apparently. I've actually never seen this before? or even heard of it. I'm guessing its created by one of the #notmypresident people groups. I haven't read all the way through it myself.
          https://www.liberalresistance.net/we...ful-president/
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Here's one example.

I wasn't claiming some percentage of the population.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Here's one example.
              First of all, that's a ferrener cite, and we all know that Michael Moore is a big fat idiot.

OK, so we allow for the nutters.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Many Americans consider Clinton to be the rightful POTUS.
                The British rules of succession were far more favorable to Mary's claim to the British throne than the Constitution is to Hillary's claim to the "popular vote"

They're about as justified as the English Catholics were.
                Actually, no they weren't. The main impetus for the British to crown Elizabeth over Mary was that Elizabeth was a Protestant. The actual rules of succession were in Mary's favor

But that still has no bearing on Tassman's statement about consorts of Queens regnant of England.
                Yeah, he replied to my initial mistake. My overall point still remains.

Like anyone else who corrects me. Thanks for the correction, Tass.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Here's one example.

A certain percentage of the population does believe that Elvis is still alive

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    A certain percentage of the population does believe that Elvis is still alive
                    He isn't?
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Many Americans consider Clinton to be the rightful POTUS. They're about as justified as the English Catholics were. But that still has no bearing on Tassman's statement about consorts of Queens regnant of England.

He's used to it.

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      The British rules of succession were far more favorable to Mary's claim to the British throne than the Constitution is to Hillary's claim to the "popular vote"

Well no they were not "more favorable to Mary's claim to the British throne". Mary, queen of Scots had no claim to the English throne whatsoever. Scotland and England were separate monarchies. They were not united under one monarch until her son, James VI of Scotland became James I of England having inherited both crowns (i.e. Mary's and Elizabeth's) upon the death of Elizabeth I.

But this has little to do with the claim that, female monarchs aside, women had very little status in Western society until the comparatively recent women's movement.
                      Last edited by Tassman; 03-14-2019, 12:28 AM.
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Right, so nothing specific, just more vague assertions where you expect us to fill in the blanks and simply agree with you out of a misplaced sense of guilt. It's a classic kafkatrap, and anybody who knows what they're looking for can spot it a mile away, so you're not being nearly as clever as you think.
                        It is a “specific” fact that Christianity has been the dominant religion in the western hemisphere for nearly 2,000 years and that consequently its laws were based upon the values of its dominant religion, including the subjugation of women. Obviously! Or did society get it terribly wrong for all that time?
                        Last edited by Tassman; 03-14-2019, 12:29 AM.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• As late as AD 410, Christianity was by no means a dominant religion in England (nor in Scotland or Wales for that matter.) In AD 410 the Celtic church was still actively evangelising. In AD 450 England was invaded by Teutonic pagans. Christianity in England was all but obliterated, but revived in short order by missionaries from Ireland. Rome with its alternative concept of Christianity moved into Britain in AD 596 - Augustine being head of mission. (note - there are two rival churches in England, roughly 400 years before the schism which saw Rome withdraw from communion with the majority churches.)

Eight kingdoms comprised the Anglo-Saxon federation. Montalembert observes:
                          In Wessex and in East Anglia the Saxons of the
                          West and the Angles of the East were converted by the combined action of continental
                          missionaries and Celtic monks. As to the two Northumbrian kingdoms and those of
                          Essex and Mercia, which comprehended in themselves more than two thirds of the
                          territory occupied by the German conquerors
                          , these four countries owed their final
                          conversion exclusively to the peaceful invasion of the Celtic monks

AD 605 sees Christianity still a minority faith system in England. Rome had little influence in the Anglo-Saxon regions (but the Celtic church met with some success) AD 664 sees Rome begin to subsume the Celtic Church - a process completed during the second decade of the 8th century.

While the church was strong, Christianity was still not the dominant religion in the British Isles (it seems) before the 11th century, and certainly not before the 10th

Tassman's time of nearly 2000 years of Christian domination is somewhat exaggerated.
                          Last edited by tabibito; 03-14-2019, 03:36 AM.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• ScreenHunter_.jpg

Finally Tassman posts something that makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                              Tassman's time of nearly 2000 years of Christian domination is somewhat exaggerated.
                              Not only that, he's also making the assumption that a Christian society means a society that is necessarily dominated by Christian ideals and a good understanding of scripture. For example, he keeps making vague references to laws that disfavored women, but he hasn't told us exactly which laws he's referring to, when and why they written, and which Biblical principles the lawmakers supposedly had in mind when they wrote them. He just points his finger at us, yells, "Guilty!" and expects us to all hang our heads in shame.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                It is a “specific” fact that Christianity has been the dominant religion in the western hemisphere for nearly 2,000 years
                                Meh....

and that consequently its laws were based upon the values of its dominant religion,
                                But things are about to go screwy....

including the subjugation of women.
                                And there ya have it!

Obviously! Or did society get it terribly wrong for all that time?
                                You would have to demonstrate that PRIOR to Christianity, women had equality with men.

I'll wait.

Comment