Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So what is this toxic masculinity thing anyhow?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The point Chuck is missing is that one can read that passage the way he wants only if we ignore the context. Verse 21 telling Christians to submit to one another soundly refutes any notion that wives are to be subservient.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      The point Chuck is missing is that one can read that passage the way he wants only if we ignore the context. Verse 21 telling Christians to submit to one another soundly refutes any notion that wives are to be subservient.
      EGGzackly - the whole passage is for Christians on how to live lives that please God. That's as foreign to Tassy and Charles as women's fashion is to a rock.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

....soundly refutes any notion that wives are to be subservient.
        I'm not sure why moral relativists would have a problem with submission of women to men, after all that is what we find with our closest primate cousins. It seems to be genetic...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          I'm not sure why moral relativists would have a problem with submission of women to men, after all that is what we find with our closest primate cousins. It seems to be genetic...
          And since Tassman has already declared "I think we can agree that young children and babies fare better with their mothers", he appears to believe women are special. But he has a walleyed conniption because some of us want to TREAT them special. It has to be SO confusing to be a liberal.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The point Chuck is missing is that one can read that passage the way he wants only if we ignore the context. Verse 21 telling Christians to submit to one another soundly refutes any notion that wives are to be subservient.
            And yet, as you of course know it goes on to say:

Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
            But, like I mentioned, theology is sometimes the art of making the text say the opposite of what the words actually do say. Seems you are the one ignoring context.
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
              Seems you are the one ignoring context.
              Try seeing the verses you ripped out of context in the context of the entire subject matter - all of Chapter 5.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                And since Tassman has already declared "I think we can agree that young children and babies fare better with their mothers", he appears to believe women are special. But he has a walleyed conniption because some of us want to TREAT them special. It has to be SO confusing to be a liberal.
                Leftist men are not gentlemen.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

No, it's perfectly suitable for commentary.
                  Yet you have not made any comments on my point as to why the commentary did not really work. Just claiming it does so when I have given reasons as to why it does not seems a little weak.
                  "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

It would appear so, because they're too busy trying to appear to represent the women they say need no special attention.

Comment

Yet you have not made any comments on my point as to why the commentary did not really work. Just claiming it does so when I have given reasons as to why it does not seems a little weak.
                      I've actually pointed you to the OVERALL CONTEXT of the matter, which you choose to ignore. You can argue all you want over commentary - the real issue is the Word of God.

Comment

2r9j93.jpg
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I've actually pointed you to the OVERALL CONTEXT of the matter, which you choose to ignore. You can argue all you want over commentary - the real issue is the Word of God.
                          I have not ignored the OVERALL CONTEXT. What you seem to miss is that the overall context is made up of the parts it exists of. It is a litte too convenient to just ignore the parts you don't like by pointing to context. It makes me wonder why those words were even there if they are not meant to say anything along the lines of what they mean in everyday use of the words.

And you still have no comment on the commentary and my points against it. Trying to change subject with your "the real issue is the Word of God" statement? It is rather telling that you simply cannot adress the point. Interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post

Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

25 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26 that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. 28 In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, 30 because we are members of his body. 31 “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. 33 However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-17-2019, 02:13 PM.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I have not ignored the OVERALL CONTEXT.
                              With a vengeance!

What you seem to miss is that the overall context is made up of the parts it exists of.
                              Wow.... I think you're proving you don't know squat about context. The "parts" are PART of it, but there's so much more.

It is a litte too convenient to just ignore the parts you don't like by pointing to context.
                              So, like "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"? It doesn't work like that.

It makes me wonder why those words were even there if they are not meant to say anything along the lines of what they mean in everyday use of the words.
                              Yeah, you don't get "context".

And you still have no comment on the commentary and my points against it.
                              And you still ignore the overall context of the passage - the "bigger picture", so to speak, of which those verses you ripped out of context were only a part.

Trying to change subject with your "the real issue is the Word of God" statement?
                              Trying to get you to focus on the overall context, not just the part you want to cherry pick.

It is rather telling that you simply cannot adress the point. Interesting.
                              The MAIN point is that this is a PASSAGE about how Christians should live, and there are parts of that that address the roles of men and women within that context.

Comment

Try seeing the verses you ripped out of context in the context of the entire subject matter - all of Chapter 5.
                                Charles is apparently not all that interested in context.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment