Page 125 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1406

Thread: So what is this toxic masculinity thing anyhow?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    I was thinking it was 6 for when the marriage ceremony was, but given the context of the discussion the consummation would be the more important part to focus on.
    What makes this even more complicated is the East Asian age reckoning schemes - a baby is born at "age 1", having been nearly a year in the womb. (we would say the baby is born at age 0, and start incrementing the months until the first birthday) And since 'age' is often incremented on the first day of the lunar or solar year, a baby born in December (at age 1) can become "age 2" in just a few weeks, though the baby would be seen as 2 months old by our method.
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    They can, but IIRC the Muslim one(s) do(es) not.
    Seems strange that they would break with long standing practice in the Middle East ... so ... checking ... The Islamic calendar is Lunisolar over a 30 year cycle. Leap years add 1 day/month.
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    Seems strange that they would break with long standing practice in the Middle East ... so ... checking ... The Islamic calendar is Lunisolar over a 30 year cycle. Leap years add 1 day/month.
    Ramadan still wanders quite a bit.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes - year on year there will be discrepancies. I think 11 days where 2 ordinary years are back to back - it would be 22 days when there are 3 ordinary years back to back. The corrections only bring into things in line with the solar calendar every 30th year.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes - year on year there will be discrepancies. I think 11 days where 2 ordinary years are back to back - it would be 22 days when there are 3 ordinary years back to back. The corrections only bring into things in line with the solar calendar every 30th year.
    So on a 9-year scale, as we're talking about here, thinks can be relatively far off.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So on a 9-year scale, as we're talking about here, thinks can be relatively far off.
    Apologies for the misinformation

The Tabular Islamic Calendar

To make Islamic time reckoning more predictable and less dependent on lunar observations, Muslim scholars developed the Tabular Islamic calendar in the 8th century CE. This system uses arithmetical rules to determine the length of each month and inserts leap days on a regular basis.

Like in the traditional version, each year has 12 months. However, their length is predetermined: months with uneven numbers have 30 days, while months with even numbers have 29 days.

In a leap year, a day is added to the 12th and final month, Dhu 'l-Hidjdja, making it 30 days long. Common years in the Tabular Islamic calendar have 354 days, while leap years are 355 days long.

That from a more academic source. Every second or 3rd year is a leap year, so the calendar drift isn't that great. However, Ramadan is tied to the crescent moon of the 9th month, so it will wander as much as Easter does, more or less.

And now for the next problem - this way of doing things was introduced 200 years after Muhammed.

11 days short every year - Over 12 years it would amount to 132 days (about 4 months) short.
    Last edited by tabibito; 05-23-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Every year it is something like 10 or 11 days earlier than the previous year.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Apologies for the misinformation

The Tabular Islamic Calendar

To make Islamic time reckoning more predictable and less dependent on lunar observations, Muslim scholars developed the Tabular Islamic calendar in the 8th century CE. This system uses arithmetical rules to determine the length of each month and inserts leap days on a regular basis.

Like in the traditional version, each year has 12 months. However, their length is predetermined: months with uneven numbers have 30 days, while months with even numbers have 29 days.

In a leap year, a day is added to the 12th and final month, Dhu 'l-Hidjdja, making it 30 days long. Common years in the Tabular Islamic calendar have 354 days, while leap years are 355 days long.

That from a more academic source. Every second or 3rd year is a leap year, so the calendar drift isn't that great. However, Ramadan is tied to the crescent moon of the 9th month, so it will wander as much as Easter does, more or less.

And now for the next problem - this way of doing things was introduced 200 years after Muhammed.

11 days short every year - Over 12 years it would amount to 132 days (about 4 months) short.
    Considerably more. Easter is going to be in either March or April whereas Ramadan cycles around the calendar.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I know Muslims are often quite eager to confuse the issue of the age of Mohammed's bride because they know how poorly it reflects on their prophet in modern culture if he were guilty of having sex with a prepubescent girl.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I know Muslims are often quite eager to confuse the issue of the age of Mohammed's bride because they know how poorly it reflects on their prophet in modern culture if he were guilty of having sex with a prepubescent girl.
    I don't think Muslims much care about how poorly anything reflects in modern culture, though they may give such caring lip service.