Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So what is this toxic masculinity thing anyhow?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    ...We don't always get that right, and morality evolves as do we.....
    ...or devolves, as seems to be the case so often.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      The sex organs are also for giving pleasure, not just procreation.
      That's a side benefit that evolved to make attempts to procreation more desirable.

Arguably the former is more common.
      That still doesn't speak to function though, just to benefit.

“Abnormal” is usually understood as “deviating from what is normal or usual, typically in a way that is undesirable or worrying” – Merriam Webster.
      I think that narrows it down a little too much. Undesirable or worrying to who?

Whilst this would apply to a person with Down’s Syndrome it does not apply to those with red hair, or ‘left-handed’ or, given our current state of knowledge, homosexual...all of which are just variations of the norm.
      Why does it apply to people with Down's Syndrome? Some live productive and fulfilling lives of service that put both of us to shame.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Just as “normal” heterosexuality can be used to defend rape and sexual exploitation of women such as grabbing their genitals.

Or, more appropriately, reject any sexual behavior that results in victims, such as rape and pedophilia, and accept behavior that is based upon mutual consent and love.
        As you are someone who doesn't believe in objective morality, you can't complain about anything being wrong or immoral. Under your naturalistic world view, there is nothing actually wrong with pedophilia, grabbing genitalia, rape, etc. It is all natural behavior that has evolved over time. Anything you claim is wrong is merely a statement of your preferences and has no more weight than you stating your preference for which ice cream flavor is good and which is bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          Actually she was 9 according to the sources. They used a lunar calendar at the time, which if I'm remembering right puts her around 6 under our solar calendar.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
            If god can get it wrong, then how do you know when he gets it right? We as human beings decide what is in the best interests of ourselves and the society we live in. We don't always get that right, and morality evolves as do we. You attribute those changes to god, even though you call it an objective standard, I attribute them to human evolution.
            God can not get it wrong be definition, you dope. That's about as sophisticated a rejoinder as asking if an omnipotent God can create a rock too heavy for him to lift.

But you avoided the question: if human society and reason can get it wrong with regards to morality, then what basis do you use to determine when we get it right? How do you know, for example, that we weren't right about homosexuality before, and we've gotten it wrong now?
            Last edited by Mountain Man; 05-23-2019, 09:40 AM.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Actually she was 9 according to the sources. They used a lunar calendar at the time, which if I'm remembering right puts her around 6 under our solar calendar.
              Lunar calendars aren't very accurate, but they're not off by nearly that much. In 9 years, you'd lose 3-4 months.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                IIRC she was 7 when they married and Muhammad was forced to wait until she was 9 to consummate the marriage due to a prolonged illness on her part.
                I was thinking it was 6 for when the marriage ceremony was, but given the context of the discussion the consummation would be the more important part to focus on.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Lunar calendars aren't very accurate, but they're not off by nearly that much. In 9 years, you'd lose 3-4 months.
                  I'll have to go back and check. I might be misremembering some figures.

Comment

I'll have to go back and check. I might be misremembering some figures.
                    Lunar calendars also have 13 month years to keep the calendar in step with the solar year.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      Lunar calendars also have 13 month years to keep the calendar in step with the solar year.
                      They can, but IIRC the Muslim one(s) do(es) not.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I was thinking it was 6 for when the marriage ceremony was, but given the context of the discussion the consummation would be the more important part to focus on.
                        What makes this even more complicated is the East Asian age reckoning schemes - a baby is born at "age 1", having been nearly a year in the womb. (we would say the baby is born at age 0, and start incrementing the months until the first birthday) And since 'age' is often incremented on the first day of the lunar or solar year, a baby born in December (at age 1) can become "age 2" in just a few weeks, though the baby would be seen as 2 months old by our method.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

They can, but IIRC the Muslim one(s) do(es) not.
                          Seems strange that they would break with long standing practice in the Middle East ... so ... checking ... The Islamic calendar is Lunisolar over a 30 year cycle. Leap years add 1 day/month.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Seems strange that they would break with long standing practice in the Middle East ... so ... checking ... The Islamic calendar is Lunisolar over a 30 year cycle. Leap years add 1 day/month.
                            Ramadan still wanders quite a bit.

sigpic

Comment

Ramadan still wanders quite a bit.
                              Yes - year on year there will be discrepancies. I think 11 days where 2 ordinary years are back to back - it would be 22 days when there are 3 ordinary years back to back. The corrections only bring into things in line with the solar calendar every 30th year.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Yes - year on year there will be discrepancies. I think 11 days where 2 ordinary years are back to back - it would be 22 days when there are 3 ordinary years back to back. The corrections only bring into things in line with the solar calendar every 30th year.
                                So on a 9-year scale, as we're talking about here, thinks can be relatively far off.

sigpic

Comment