Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So what is this toxic masculinity thing anyhow?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    So on a 9-year scale, as we're talking about here, thinks can be relatively far off.
    Apologies for the misinformation

The Tabular Islamic Calendar

To make Islamic time reckoning more predictable and less dependent on lunar observations, Muslim scholars developed the Tabular Islamic calendar in the 8th century CE. This system uses arithmetical rules to determine the length of each month and inserts leap days on a regular basis.

Like in the traditional version, each year has 12 months. However, their length is predetermined: months with uneven numbers have 30 days, while months with even numbers have 29 days.

In a leap year, a day is added to the 12th and final month, Dhu 'l-Hidjdja, making it 30 days long. Common years in the Tabular Islamic calendar have 354 days, while leap years are 355 days long.

That from a more academic source. Every second or 3rd year is a leap year, so the calendar drift isn't that great. However, Ramadan is tied to the crescent moon of the 9th month, so it will wander as much as Easter does, more or less.

And now for the next problem - this way of doing things was introduced 200 years after Muhammed.

11 days short every year - Over 12 years it would amount to 132 days (about 4 months) short.
    Last edited by tabibito; 05-23-2019, 12:34 PM.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Ramadan still wanders quite a bit.
      Every year it is something like 10 or 11 days earlier than the previous year.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        Apologies for the misinformation

The Tabular Islamic Calendar

To make Islamic time reckoning more predictable and less dependent on lunar observations, Muslim scholars developed the Tabular Islamic calendar in the 8th century CE. This system uses arithmetical rules to determine the length of each month and inserts leap days on a regular basis.

Like in the traditional version, each year has 12 months. However, their length is predetermined: months with uneven numbers have 30 days, while months with even numbers have 29 days.

In a leap year, a day is added to the 12th and final month, Dhu 'l-Hidjdja, making it 30 days long. Common years in the Tabular Islamic calendar have 354 days, while leap years are 355 days long.

That from a more academic source. Every second or 3rd year is a leap year, so the calendar drift isn't that great. However, Ramadan is tied to the crescent moon of the 9th month, so it will wander as much as Easter does, more or less.

And now for the next problem - this way of doing things was introduced 200 years after Muhammed.

11 days short every year - Over 12 years it would amount to 132 days (about 4 months) short.
        Considerably more. Easter is going to be in either March or April whereas Ramadan cycles around the calendar.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• I know Muslims are often quite eager to confuse the issue of the age of Mohammed's bride because they know how poorly it reflects on their prophet in modern culture if he were guilty of having sex with a prepubescent girl.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            I know Muslims are often quite eager to confuse the issue of the age of Mohammed's bride because they know how poorly it reflects on their prophet in modern culture if he were guilty of having sex with a prepubescent girl.
            I don't think Muslims much care about how poorly anything reflects in modern culture, though they may give such caring lip service.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Considerably more. Easter is going to be in either March or April whereas Ramadan cycles around the calendar.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37212[/ATTACH]
              Strewth
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Western Easter is much easier to figure out - it's always the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring Equinox, as long as that's after March 21, unless the first full moon is not an ecclesiastical full moon.....

Or, better yet - It's the first Sunday after Palm Sunday!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• You all sound like a bunch of Easter Worshipers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Or, better yet - It's the first Sunday after Palm Sunday!
                    Much easier to remember ... and of course, that would make Ash Wednesday 39 days before Palm Sunday, and Pentecost 57 days after Palm Sunday ... I'll keep Palm Sundae as a reference point.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      Much easier to remember ... and of course, that would make Ash Wednesday 39 days before Palm Sunday, and Pentecost 57 days after Palm Sunday ... I'll keep Palm Sundae as a reference point.
                      Life should be that simple.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Palm Sundae sounds like a Ben & Jerry's flavor.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          You all sound like a bunch of Easter Worshipers!
                          I wonder which think tank/advocacy group test marketed that phrase and circulated it to be regurgitated by liberal politicians and the MSM

Comment

God can not get it wrong be definition, you dope.[/B] That's about as sophisticated a rejoinder as asking if an omnipotent God can create a rock too heavy for him to lift.
                            By whose definition would that be?
                            But you avoided the question: if human society and reason can get it wrong with regards to morality, then what basis do you use to determine when we get it right? How do you know, for example, that we weren't right about homosexuality before, and we've gotten it wrong now?
                            We evolve, we learn. Well, some of us do!

Comment

Like I said, your entire argument is based on the premise that children can't consent, which is a legal objection and not a moral one.
                              No, it’s a moral objection in that children can never be in a position to provide informed consent; because they may be coerced by an unscrupulous adult to “consenting” without understanding what this means.

What if psychologists faced with social pressure suddenly "discover" that they can consent, and the laws are changed accordingly? Well then, pedophilia would be considered "normal".
                              See above.

Heck, we're already part way there with organizations like the American Psychiatric Association downgrading pedophilia from a disorder to merely an "atypical sexual interest" with liberals like you and JimL applauding and depending this. Just be careful where you step, because that slope is slippery as hell.
                              So, what do you suggest we do, shoot them?
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                As you are someone who doesn't believe in objective morality, you can't complain about anything being wrong or immoral. Under your naturalistic world view, there is nothing actually wrong with pedophilia, grabbing genitalia, rape, etc. It is all natural behavior that has evolved over time. Anything you claim is wrong is merely a statement of your preferences and has no more weight than you stating your preference for which ice cream flavor is good and which is bad.
                                Neither can you “complain about anything being wrong or immoral”. Your so-called objective morals of “God" were simply the subjective moral values of the day written by men and ascribed to their tribal deity to enforce compliance. Even then, they have been interpreted and adapted to conform to current moral values, e.g. the role of women in society.
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment