Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So what is this toxic masculinity thing anyhow?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I have no idea what your wife is like. But you sure act insane. Your definitions keep changing from post to post, you can't seem to make a coherent argument, the arguments you do make are so laughable that I make sure not to be drinking anything while reading your posts, lest I spew it all over my keyboard.
    This constitutes some sort of rebuttal does it?

You just keep piling on conditions out of the blue, don't you? Now you add "socially unacceptable" to the mix.
    Stop whining.

OK well Homosexual sex was socially unacceptable for centuries, I guess that means it was a mental illness all that time, right? They were all mentally ill until recently, right?
    Yes, actually it was considered a mental illness. “But, several decades of research and clinical experience have led all mainstream medical and mental health organizations in this country to conclude that these orientations represent normal forms of human experience. Lesbian, gay and bisexual relationships are normal forms of human bonding”.

https://www.apa.org/topics/lgbt/orientation

And I guess if pedophilia ever becomes socially acceptable, it will no longer be a mental illness?
    Pedophilia will NEVER become socially acceptable for the same reason rape will never become socially acceptable. Because, in both instances, they are non-consensual. There are victims.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Yes, actually it was considered a mental illness. “But, several decades of research and clinical experience have led all mainstream medical and mental health organizations in this country to conclude that these orientations represent normal forms of human experience. Lesbian, gay and bisexual relationships are normal forms of human bonding”.

Which makes the word "normal" meaningless.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Wrong. Normal behavior means whatever society determines it to mean, but it determines its meaning by way of reason. Sometimes we can get it wrong, like dubbing homosexuality abnormal only to recognize after the fact that it is a perfectly normal human condition. Some people are just not amenable to reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Wrong. Normal behavior means whatever society determines it to mean, but it determines its meaning by way of reason. Sometimes we can get it wrong, like dubbing homosexuality abnormal only to recognize after the fact that it is a perfectly normal human condition. Some people are just not amenable to reason.
          An entirely pointless "mating" relationship that serves no evolutionary purpose is "normal"...
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

An entirely pointless "mating" relationship that serves no evolutionary purpose is "normal"...
            A thing doesn't need serve an evolutionary purpose to be normal, Bill. After all, you're normal aren't you?

Comment

That’s not my “line of argument” at all.
              You seem incredibly inept, of late, at making cogent "lines of argument", and you're even worse at remembering what they were.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                A thing doesn't need serve an evolutionary purpose to be normal, Bill. After all, you're normal aren't you?
                I have continued our species.
                That's what
                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

That’s not my “line of argument” at all. ALL beliefs originated via men. Do you have any alternative suggestions as to where they might originate?
                  Is that your belief?

Comment

This constitutes some sort of rebuttal does it?

Stop whining.

But WAS it actually a mental illness, Tassman? According to your definition is actually WAS one. Which means it still would be.

Pedophilia will NEVER become socially acceptable for the same reason rape will never become socially acceptable. Because, in both instances, they are non-consensual. There are victims.
                    Maybe not in American society, but in others it was/is. Mohammad married a 14 year old girl remember? And raping used to be the standard way of taking control of captive women in many societies. In fact I think it is still legal to not only beat but rape your wife under Sharia law.

Comment

But WAS it actually a mental illness, Tassman? According to your definition is actually WAS one. Which means it still would be.

Maybe not in American society, but in others it was/is. Mohammad married a 14 year old girl remember? And raping used to be the standard way of taking control of captive women in many societies. In fact I think it is still legal to not only beat but rape your wife under Sharia law.

At the time, 14 wasn't considered too young to marry - and even as late as the 19th century. 60 years ago, (three generations, maximum) 16 was considered a reasonable age to get married.

As for paederasty ( - it was considered not a problem through many cultures and times, even in 19th century England and America in some circumstances (cabin boys e.g.)
                      Also 19th century (and I think into the 20th) it wasn't considered possible for a man to rape his wife ... the existence of the marriage was considered consent.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                        At the time, 14 wasn't considered too young to marry - and even as late as the 19th century. 60 years ago, (three generations, maximum) 16 was considered a reasonable age to get married.

As for paederasty ( - it was considered not a problem through many cultures and times, even in 19th century England and America in some circumstances (cabin boys e.g.)
                        Also 19th century (and I think into the 20th) it wasn't considered possible for a man to rape his wife ... the existence of the marriage was considered consent.
                        Pretty much made my point.

Comment

Pretty much made my point.
                          Yes.
                          Those things were done even in western societies until very recently on an historic scale.
                          It isn't hard to imagine societies reverting to those positions with relative ease; its trying to work out what the impetus might be that is difficult.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Homosexuality was erroneously deemed a mental illness, based upon community prejudice, until several decades of research and clinical experience led all mainstream medical and mental health organizations to conclude that these orientations represent normal forms of human experience. Lesbian, gay and bisexual relationships are normal forms of human bonding.

Nevertheless, rape and pedophilia are no longer acceptable in our society, just as denying emancipation for slaves and women are no longer acceptable. But these are social values, which change over time, not mental illnesses per se.
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Not at all. Homosexuality is evolutionarily “normal”, albeit a minority, form of normalcy. You’re confusing majority norms with minor variations of the normal human condition…such as red hair

Comment

Not at all. Homosexuality is evolutionarily “normal”, albeit a minority, form of normalcy.
                                Not really. The normal function of the sex organs is for attempts at sexual reproduction.

You’re confusing majority norms with minor variations of the normal human condition…such as red hair
                                Not really. variations from normal are by definition abnormalities. For instance, there are roughly the same percentage of people with Down's Syndrome and that have red hair. Would you call Down's Syndrome normal?
                                That's what
                                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment