Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So what is this toxic masculinity thing anyhow?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Charles is apparently not all that interested in context.
    Roger that!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I read somewhere that Paul is turning Roman household codes on their heads. Thr codes would tell women, children, and slaves to obey the Pater Familias(head of the household), but Paul also told the husband/father/master to not be a jerk. Which would have been groundbreaking at the time. The Greco-Roman world was very sexist and classist. Straight up telling people that it was wrong to treat people like that would have been ignored.

http://christianthinktank.com/not2obey.html
      First of all, let's notice that none of these “commands” use the word “obey”. The only occurrence of something with that word is the example given of Sarah in the Petrine passage (discussed below).

Secondly, let's observe that in the time of the Roman Empire, there were things called ‘household codes’. So, [BBC: at Eph 5]:

“The section 5:21–6:9 addresses what we call “household codes.” In Paul's day, many Romans were troubled by the spread of “religions from the East” (e.g., Isis worship, Judaism and Christianity), which they thought would undermine traditional Roman family values. Members of these minority religions often tried to show their support for those values by using a standard form of exhortations developed by philosophers from Aristotle on. These exhortations about how the head of a household should deal with members of his family usually break down into discussions of husband-wife, father-child and master-slave relationships. Paul borrows this form of discussion straight from standard Greco-Roman moral writing. . But unlike most ancient writers, Paul undermines the basic premise of these codes: the absolute authority of the male head of the house.”

Last edited by Christianbookworm; 02-17-2019, 10:28 PM.
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        The same passage talks about Christians submitting to each other -- it sounds like you're thinking of BDSM or something rather than common courtesy.
        No. The sole meaning of 'submission’, is “the action or fact of accepting or yielding to a superior force or to the will or authority of another person”. It is on this understanding that women have been relegated to a submissive role for most of Christian history…and still are in many instances. The Duggar family springs to mind.

Correct - it's DRAMA QUEENS. I don't know if you're a homosexual or not, and I really don't care
        But you do care, don't you. To a bigot like you labeling someone a homosexual is a major insult. However, my support of LGBT rights no more makes me a homosexual than my support for equal civil rights for women and blacks makes me black or female. It has been obvious all along that you are a homophobic bigot using DRAMA QUEEN as a homophobic slur…totally misdirected in my instance I might add...and any doubt was removed when you had me wearing a tiara waving a scepter around. Clearly, for you DRAMA QUEEN is a pejorative and equates to “screaming queen”, which is usually applied to gays.

- your posts appear to be heavy on the drama and light on the facts.
        You should talk.

I answered the question - you can't deal with it, because you're too busy pitching hissies, as is your custom.
        Hissy Fit: “A sudden outburst of temper, often used to describe female anger at something trivial.” Urban Dictionary. You just can;t help yourself can you, you.
        Last edited by Tassman; 02-17-2019, 11:07 PM.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Not actually. “For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of the church”. Ephesians 5:23. This doesn't look like equal status between men and women to me. Men are the decision-makers and the role of women is subordinated to men. As for the Old Testament, it is primarily a patriarchal document. Women's roles were limited to functions in the home, and severely restricted:
          So if women are subordinated to men, why to Christians teach men do honor women and their wives and be gentlemen and hold doors open for them and stuff? Shouldn't we be teaching that women should be holding the doors open for the men?
          Last edited by Sparko; 02-18-2019, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
            Any written source to support this?
            Chuck, you have agreed to submit to the rules of this site. Does that make you inferior to me, the owner? Or my servant?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              No.
              YES! (Mine is all caps and has an exclamation point, so I'm righter!)

The sole meaning of 'submission’, is “the action or fact of accepting or yielding to a superior force or to the will or authority of another person”.

You're making the glaring error of focusing on an English word and ignoring the context and the original language.

It is on this understanding that women have been relegated to a submissive role for most of Christian history…and still are in many instances. The Duggar family springs to mind.
              What they do in their own family is their business, not yours.

But you do care, don't you.
              I really don't. You're a jackass because you're a jackass, not because of your sexual preference, whatever that may be.

To a bigot like you

Says the anti-Christian bigot who is ONLY here on a Christian run website to be a jackass.

labeling someone a homosexual is a major insult.
              I have never labeled you, or anybody else, a homosexual. Jackass fits you much better.

However, my support of LGBT rights no more makes me a homosexual than my support for equal civil rights for women and blacks makes me black or female.
              Wow, Tass, you're like... protesting WAY too much!

It has been obvious all along that you are a homophobic bigot using DRAMA QUEEN as a homophobic slur…
              That's a lie of the devil. You're a DRAMA QUEEN because you're a DRAMA QUEEN. Own it!

totally misdirected in my instance I might add...
              The DRAMA QUEEN part, or are you still protesting the "homosexual label" I did not place on you.

and any doubt was removed when you had me wearing a tiara waving a scepter around.
              That's DRAMA QUEEN stufr.

Clearly, for you DRAMA QUEEN is a pejorative and equates to “screaming queen”, which is usually applied to gays.
              WOW, Tassy - you really have the persecution complex, don't you? This is all quite characteristic of what a DRAMA QUEEN does.

You should talk.
              You should dial down the drama.

Hissy Fit: “A sudden outburst of temper, often used to describe female anger at something trivial.” Urban Dictionary. You just can;t help yourself can you, you.
              Ah, so now you're appealing to the URBAN dictionary. How very scholastic of you.

Really, Tass --- your traveling circus would make the Ringling Brothers envious.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

not because of your sexual preference, whatever that may be.
                Tass is gay - correct?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• So, let's weed out all your Drama Queen protestations and defenses of accusations that were never made, and deal with this glaring error on your part...

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  No. The sole meaning of 'submission’, is [I]“the action or fact of accepting or yielding to a superior force or to the will or authority of another person”.
                  From that SAME PASSAGE (Context, here, Tassy) we read...

Scripture Verse: Eph 5

verse 21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

© Copyright Original Source

Let's see you apply your cockeyed reasoning to that verse, which immediately precedes the instructions to the husbands and wives.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Tass is gay - correct?
                    I have no idea. It SEEMS like he's saying he's not - I never assumed he was, but I don't know one way or the other, and really don't care. I just believe he's an emotional basket case.

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    However, my support of LGBT rights no more makes me a homosexual than my support for equal civil rights for women and blacks makes me black or female.
                    Not sure if he's denying it, or simply making a point that it's irrelevant.
                    Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-18-2019, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Tass is gay - correct?
                      Not that I know of. I think he mentioned a wife once.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Not that I know of. I think he mentioned a wife once.
                        Is it a girl wife?
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Is it a girl wife?
                          I think he said, "she"

Hard to tell with all the liberal pronoun nonsense going on.

Comment

• Tassy is about to set us all straight...

Comment

You're making the glaring error of focusing on an English word and ignoring the context and the original language.
                              So how would you translate Timothy 2:11-12:

“Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet”.

…and the many other similar passages in the NT?

What they do in their own family is their business, not yours.
                              Oh, I thought the Duggar family, with its submissive, compliant wife was championed by Evangelicals like you…well at least until that unfortunate incest incident.

I really don't. You're a jackass because you're a jackass, not because of your sexual preference, whatever that may be.

Says the anti-Christian bigot who is ONLY here on a Christian run website to be a jackass.

I have never labeled you, or anybody else, a homosexual. Jackass fits you much better.

Wow, Tass, you're like... protesting WAY too much!

That's a lie of the devil. You're a DRAMA QUEEN because you're a DRAMA QUEEN. Own it!

The DRAMA QUEEN part, or are you still protesting the "homosexual label" I did not place on you.

That's DRAMA QUEEN stufr.

WOW, Tassy - you really have the persecution complex, don't you? This is all quite characteristic of what a DRAMA QUEEN does.

You should dial down the drama.

Ah, so now you're appealing to the URBAN dictionary. How very scholastic of you.

Really, Tass --- your traveling circus would make the Ringling Brothers envious.
                              Get a grip, CP. You’re hysterical.

With the repetitious use of Drama Queen and the like, e.g. tiara-wearing, scepter waving etc., you are clearly intending a homophobic insult. Own it. And again, my support of LGBT rights no more makes me a homosexual than my support for equal civil rights for women and blacks makes me black or female.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                So if women are subordinated to men, why to Christians teach men do honor women and their wives and be gentlemen and hold doors open for them and stuff? Shouldn't we be teaching that women should be holding the doors open for the men?
                                So, why don’t women generally hold car doors open for men, or usher men out of the elevator ahead of them etc?

Comment