Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So what is this toxic masculinity thing anyhow?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Is your life so completely miserable and petty that you have nothing better to do than to hang out on a Christian-run website and spew forth your ignorance?
    Stop whining.

You claim that the slew of passages in the bible such as 1 Timothy 2:11-12 (“Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet”), do NOT demand that women be submissive to men.

And yet in all Christian countries until relatively recently women were expected to be submissive to men. They did not have the vote, they could not own property and they were expected to confine themselves to home duties. This is still the case among some Evangelicals, such as the Quiverfull movement, and the group of Christian ideologies under the banner of Dominion theology.

Why is this?
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Stop whining.

You claim that the slew of passages in the bible such as 1 Timothy 2:11-12 (“Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet”), do NOT demand that women be submissive to men.

And yet in all Christian countries until relatively recently women were expected to be submissive to men. They did not have the vote, they could not own property and they were expected to confine themselves to home duties. This is still the case among some Evangelicals, such as the Quiverfull movement, and the group of Christian ideologies under the banner of Dominion theology.

Why is this?
      I guess the queens of England were "submissive" too?
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Stop whining.
        Ah, doing the Drama Queen thing again, eh?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Why is this?
          I'll try one more time, and I'll type very slowly....

A) Christianity is an entirely volunteer organization.
          2) These are INSTRUCTIONS to those who volunteer to be in that organization.
          C) What is your fascination with these fringe groups of Christianity?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And yet in all Christian countries until relatively recently women were expected to be submissive to men. They did not have the vote, they could not own property and they were expected to confine themselves to home duties.
            again and again. Hey everyone, remember how for 2,000 years families were wealthy enough that they could afford to have only one person in the family (the father) working, and the wife and kids had the luxury of not working to survive? Yeah, me neither.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              I guess the queens of England were "submissive" too?
              The comparatively few “queens of England” only attained their status if there was absolutely no male successor to the throne. Even a young boy was considered preferable to an adult female, as per the boy king Edward VI, who preceded Elizabeth I.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I'll try one more time, and I'll type very slowly...
                You’re a laugh a minute CP.

A) Christianity is an entirely volunteer organization.
                Sigh. Christianity has been the dominant religion in the western hemisphere for nearly 2,000 years.

2) These are INSTRUCTIONS to those who volunteer to be in that organization.
                Yet in a society where Christianity dominated society, women were subjugated to men. Why?

C) What is your fascination with these fringe groups of Christianity?
                Christian society dominated the law of the land to the extent women did not have the vote, could not own property and were expected to confine themselves to home duties. Why didn’t the Christian majority insist that women were NOT subjugated to men if, as you claim, this is their belief?

Or, perhaps, they took the passages in the bible such as 1 Timothy 2:11-12 literally. E.g. (“Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet”). Your so-called “fringe groups” still do. They believe themselves to be the “true Christians”.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                  Christian society dominated the law of the land to the extent women did not have the vote, could not own property and were expected to confine themselves to home duties. Why didn’t the Christian majority insist that women were NOT subjugated to men if, as you claim, this is their belief?
                  It would help if you explained exactly on what you're basing these assertions so that we could have the proper context in which to answer them. Which "Christian society" are your referring to, and in which land did its law dominate?
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• My wild guess is that he's referring to Victorian era Europe.
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• And that's the problem: he's deliberately keeping his assertions vague so we have to guess and fill in the blanks.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The comparatively few “queens of England” only attained their status if there was absolutely no male successor to the throne. Even a young boy was considered preferable to an adult female, as per the boy king Edward VI, who preceded Elizabeth I.
                        Yet they attained it nonetheless. And when they married, their husbands were only kings by marriage, and they were subservient to her majesties.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You’re a laugh a minute CP.
                          Thanks, bigot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            And that's the problem: he's deliberately keeping his assertions vague so we have to guess and fill in the blanks.
                            All the boy wants to do is whine about Christianity and Christians.

Comment

Christian society dominated the law of the land to the extent women did not have the vote, could not own property and were expected to confine themselves to home duties.
                              ...and again! Everyone, remember how for 2000 years there was a free market in land, except women were not allowed to own land? Yeah, me neither.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                                My wild guess is that he's referring to Victorian era Europe.
                                I think you are right. Remember how the conditions of Victorian England were the conditions of all of Western Civilization for 2000 years? Yeah, me neither.

Comment