Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

p-value testing will never be the same again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    This doesn't sound IC to me though, losing a protein means the process works less efficiently, right?
    Let's suppose that over time, a new enzyme evolves. And later, let's assume a regulator for the enzyme evolves, so that the enzyme is not produced unless the regulator is present. And the regulator is not produced unless the matter to be broken down is present.

For anything to happen, all three of these must be present. The loss of even one of these things means the system won't work. Is that irreducible complexity?

Comment

This doesn't sound IC to me though, losing a protein means the process works less efficiently, right?
      Where does IC make any efficiency arguments? It very clearly says something is not possible, not that "it can happen, but it won't be as good."

Separately, why should losing this protein make the process less efficient if the enzymes all remain associated without it? Also, evolution can involve trade offs - lower efficiency for greater flexibility in substrates, etc.
      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Yes, but even granted their scenario, they have not explained the generation of these two proto-proteins.
        You're shifting the goal posts. This is about forming irreducibly complex systems - not about the origin of proteins. You're doing the equivalent of complaining that evolution doesn't explain the origin of life.

Comment

Originally posted by The Barbarian View Post
          The same argument could be made for poker hands. I don't think God is designing poker hands.
          If you read the reference that described the probability concerning snow flakes you would find lee_merrill classically either did not understand or misrepresented the reference.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

The same argument could be made for poker hands. I don't think God is designing poker hands.
            Welcome to Tweb!

But if I get the same hand over and over again, then I start to suspect design. That's too improbable.

Blessings,
            Lee
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Let's suppose that over time, a new enzyme evolves. And later, let's assume a regulator for the enzyme evolves, so that the enzyme is not produced unless the regulator is present. And the regulator is not produced unless the matter to be broken down is present.

For anything to happen, all three of these must be present. The loss of even one of these things means the system won't work. Is that irreducible complexity?
              Well, the IC system here would be the enzyme and its regulator.

Blessings,
              Lee
              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                You're shifting the goal posts. This is about forming irreducibly complex systems - not about the origin of proteins. You're doing the equivalent of complaining that evolution doesn't explain the origin of life.
                Not really, once you have these two proto-proteins, then the IC system (it seems to me) is in place, and then evolution can work in selectable steps to improve the system.

Blessings,
                Lee

Comment

Where does IC make any efficiency arguments? It very clearly says something is not possible, not that "it can happen, but it won't be as good."
                  Right, so loss of efficiency would not characterize an IC system.

Separately, why should losing this protein make the process less efficient if the enzymes all remain associated without it? Also, evolution can involve trade offs - lower efficiency for greater flexibility in substrates, etc.
                  Well, apparently I'm not understanding your proposal. But an IC system with a few associated proteins would seem to be of the Behe and Snoke variety, which might be expected to evolve in 20000 or so years.

Blessings,
                  Lee
                  Last edited by lee_merrill; 02-07-2019, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Welcome to Tweb!

But if I get the same hand over and over again, then I start to suspect design. That's too improbable.

Blessings,
                    Lee
                    Or a stacked deck and shifty dealer. Actually not to difficult given an expert slight of hand.
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Well, the IC system here would be the enzyme and its regulator.
                      This was what was observed to happen in a culture of bacteria.

In 1982, Barry Hall of the University of Rochester began a series of experiments in which he deleted the bacterial gene for the enzyme beta-galactosidase. The loss of this gene makes it impossible for the bacteria to metabolize the sugar lactose. What happened next? Under appropriate selection conditions Hall found that the bacteria evolved not only the gene for a new beta-galactosidase enzyme (called the evolved beta-galactosidase gene, or ebg), but also a control sequence that switched the new gene on when glucose was present. Finally, a new chemical reaction evolved as well, producing allolactose, the chemical signal that normally switches on the lac permease gene, allowing lactose to flow into the cell.
                      http://www.millerandlevine.com/km/evol/DI/AcidTest.html

Comment

Not really, once you have these two proto-proteins, then the IC system (it seems to me) is in place, and then evolution can work in selectable steps to improve the system.
                        Did you think about what you're saying here? You're saying that it seems to you that any time proteins evolve to interact (which can take as little as a single amino acid change), you've created an IC system. In which case we know and have seen the evolution of IC systems, and Behe's argument becomes even more laughably wrong.

Put differently: in your desperation to defend a flawed argument, it seems you'll say anything - even that the argument is even more flawed than i'm giving it credit for.

Comment

Right, so loss of efficiency would not characterize an IC system.
                          Then why did you raise it as an objection?

Well, apparently I'm not understanding your proposal. But an IC system with a few associated proteins would seem to be of the Behe and Snoke variety, which might be expected to evolve in 20000 or so years.
                          Let me try again:

Bunch of individual proteins that would work more efficiently when clustered together.
                          Scaffold protein evolves that holds two of them together.
                          Additional interactions evolve so that eventually all of the proteins are held together by the scaffold.
                          While being held in place, they evolve the ability to mutually interact, increasing the stability of the complex.
                          The scaffold protein is lost, leading to a complex of proteins that mutually interact. An irreducibly complex system has evolved without any intervention needed.

Separately, the Bene/Snoke number (unless i'm mistaken as to its source) depends on two premises we know are false: there's no neutral mutations, and mildly deleterious mutations are never tolerated. So the number is a fiction.

Comment

Or, as Behe himself has admitted, in a much shorter time.

From the Dover transcripts:
                            Q. And bringing it back to the prokaryotes. We're in agreement here, the number of prokaryotes in 1 ton of soil are 7 orders of magnitude higher than the population, you said it would take 10 to the 8th generations to produce the disulfide bond?

A. Yeah, certainly. Yeah, the bacteria are -- can grow to very large population sizes.

Q. So the time would be?

A. Much shorter.

Q. Much shorter?

A. Absolutely.
                            A population 7 orders of magnitude higher would require a time 7 orders of magnitude shorter. About 18 hours. And a ton of soil doesn't take up much space - only a few cubic metres.

So the event Behe claims takes 20,000 years happens every day in his own back yard.
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Did you think about what you're saying here? You're saying that it seems to you that any time proteins evolve to interact (which can take as little as a single amino acid change), you've created an IC system.
                              Yes, simple interdependence can evolve, but it becomes unlikely when the system is complex.

Blessings,
                              Lee

Comment

Yes, simple interdependence can evolve, but it becomes unlikely when the system is complex.

Blessings,
                                Lee
                                Assertion without objective verifiable evidence, and arguing from ignorance. The evidence of evolution demonstrates that complexity evolves.

There never has been proposed a falsifiable hypothesis for irreducible complexity.

You claimed that Intelligent design was falsifiable. Claims without substance are air balls.

Still waiting . . .
                                Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-09-2019, 07:35 PM.

Frank

Comment