Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

p-value testing will never be the same again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p-value testing will never be the same again

Source: http://bio-complexity.org/ojs/index.php/main/article/view/BIO-C.2018.4/BIO-C.2018.4

We then review statistical hypothesis testing and the level-α property, formally reducing p-value testing to a form of specified complexity model hypothesis testing.

© Copyright Original Source

Who knew that statistical hypothesis testing was looking for intelligent design?
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Source: http://bio-complexity.org/ojs/index.php/main/article/view/BIO-C.2018.4/BIO-C.2018.4

Remark. It should be noted that although Landman claims [8] that the number of possible states should be used as the replicational resources (scaling constant) r rather than the number of possible events, it should be clear that such a claim is mistaken, since the replicational resources represent the number of attempts a system is given to produce a given result (if every operation on every bit were a sampling attempt), which corresponds to the total number of sampling events possible since the Big Bang (and not to the number of possible states). In either case, since we are concerned with proving bounds for Dembski’s model, and he uses the scaling constant of 10120, we do so here as well.

If one understands statistics the efforts of this paper is 'front loaded' statistically to get the desired result. More comments may follow. Also basically neglects that the laws of nature constrains the outcome of each cause and effect event, and cannot be statistically projected as simply the probability of 'the total number of sampling events possible since the Big Bang.'

I believe that Landman referred to this limitation as 'the number of possible states.' I comment with caution on Landman, because I lack his full reference. I may word this more completely as the limitations of the possible states of the outcome of each cause and effect outcome constrained by the laws of nature.

I believe they have tried this before.

Source: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/11/15/liars-figure/

The old saying, that “figures won’t lie,” is true, without doubt; and the same may be said of letters, marks, and other signs of thought. But the mode in which many use figures, in order to carry a point, has sometimes tempted us to believe that the hasty remark of the Psalmist, if paraphrased thus – “all men” – who deal in statistics “are liars,” – is not far from the truth.

Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-16-2019, 07:32 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Remark. It should be noted that although Landman claims [8] that the number of possible states should be used as the replicational resources (scaling constant) r rather than the number of possible events, it should be clear that such a claim is mistaken, since the replicational resources represent the number of attempts a system is given to produce a given result (if every operation on every bit were a sampling attempt), which corresponds to the total number of sampling events possible since the Big Bang (and not to the number of possible states). In either case, since we are concerned with proving bounds for Dembski’s model, and he uses the scaling constant of 10120, we do so here as well.

If one understands statistics the efforts of this paper is 'front loaded' statistically to get the desired result.
      Well, how so?

Also basically neglects that the laws of nature constrains the outcome of each cause and effect event, and cannot be statistically projected as simply the probability of 'the total number of sampling events possible since the Big Bang.'
      But constraining the events would reduce this probability, correct?

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
        Well, how so?

But constraining the events would reduce this probability, correct?

Blessings,
        Lee
        No, it would greatly increase the probability, because the outcome of each cause and effect relationship would be constrained by the Laws of Nature constraining the possible outcomes.

In the proper use of statistics and probability it is the standard process to constrain the possible variables in the research design to increase the probability that the result will will falsify the hypothesis.

I seriously condemn this irresponsible use of statistics and probability to justify an agenda, and I will provide other references that object to this misuse.

The paper classical misuses Dempski's argument and methods to justify Dempski's argument.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-17-2019, 05:47 PM.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

The reason why I said, 'This nothing new' misusing statistics and probability by ID and other Creationists is the same misuse is used concerning evolution. Note Bold, and the rest of the article is worth the read. Failure to consider that nature acts by a series of cause and effect outcomes constrained by Laws of Nature is the primary unethical misuse of statistics and probability,

Source: https://experimentalmath.info/blog/2009/08/misuse-of-probability-by-creation-scientists-and-others/

Both traditional creationists and ID scholars have invoked probability theory in criticisms of evolution. One typical argument goes like this: the human alpha globin molecule, which plays a key oxygen transfer function, is a protein chain based on a sequence of 141 amino acids. There are 20 different amino acids common in living systems, so the number of potential chains of length 141 is 20^(141), which is roughly 10^(183). This figure is so enormous, so these writers argue, that even after billions of years of random molecular trials, no alpha globin protein molecule would ever appear [Foster, pg. 79-83; Hoyle, pg. 1-20; Lennox, pg. 163-173].

But the above argument fails to note that most of the 141 amino acids can be changed without altering the key oxygen transfer function. When we revise the calculation above, based on only 25 locations essential for the oxygen transport function, we obtain 10^(33) fundamentally different chains, a huge figure but vastly smaller than 10^(183), and small enough to neutralize the probability-based argument against evolution [Bailey].

More importantly, this and almost all similar probability-based arguments against evolution suffer from the fallacy of presuming that biological structures such as alpha globin arise by a single all-or-nothing random trial. Instead, available evidence suggests that alpha globin and other proteins arose as the end product of a long sequence of intermediate steps, each of which was biologically useful in an earlier context. Probability calculations such as the above, which do not take into account the process by which the structure came to be, are not meaningful and can easily mislead [Musgrave].

Along this line, consider snowflakes. Bentley and Humphrey’s book Snow Crystals [Bentley] includes over 2000 high-resolution black-and-white photos of real snowflakes, each with intricate yet highly regular patterns (a few of the Bentley-Humphrey photos are posted at Online article). The chances that one particular structure, with striking near-perfect 6-way symmetry, can form “at random” can be calculated as roughly one part in 10^(2500). Does this astoundingly small probability figure constitute proof that individual snowflakes have been intelligently designed? Obviously not. The fallacy, once again, is presuming a sudden, all-at-once random formation. Instead, snowflakes, like biological organisms, are formed as the product of a series of steps, acting under natural laws with some element of chance.

ID scholar William Dembski invokes probability and information theory (the mathematical theory of information content in data) in arguments against Darwinism. But knowledgeable scholars who have examined Dembski’s works are not persuaded and have been sharply critical. Mathematician Jeffrey Shallit (a colleague of the present bloggers) and biologist Wesley Elsberry conclude that Dembski’s notion of “complex specified information” is incoherent and unworkable [Shallit]. Biologist Gert Korthof, in a review of Dembski’s book Intelligent Design, concludes that Dembski’s analysis cannot be meaningfully applied to DNA [Korthof]. Mathematician Richard Wein, in a review of Dembski’s book No Free Lunch, characterizes it as “pseudoscientific rhetoric” [Wein].

Note: What is referred to 'some element of chance' is a fractal relationship in the variability of the outcome of each event in the formation of the snowflake, which is basically that same throughout the nature of cause and effect outcomes.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-17-2019, 06:02 PM.

Frank

Comment

No, it would greatly increase the probability, because the outcome of each cause and effect relationship would be constrained by the Laws of Nature constraining the possible outcomes.

In the proper use of statistics and probability it is the standard process to constrain the possible variables in the research design to increase the probability that the result will will falsify the hypothesis.
            Well, constraining the set of events is not the same as constraining possible variables, and variables are constrained to reduce extraneous effects that are not of interest, not to increase the probability.

And snowflakes are not designed because this is viewing the probability of a random arrangement after the fact. The probability of any given arrangement (of snowflakes, of taillights on a highway, of amino acid chains) after it happens is 100%.

Blessings,
            Lee
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

And snowflakes are not designed because this is viewing the probability of a random arrangement after the fact. The probability of any given arrangement (of snowflakes, of taillights on a highway, of amino acid chains) after it happens is 100%.
              So proteins and genomes aren't designed either.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                No, if the focus is on an event before it happens, then the probability can vary from 100%. For example, if you pick one snowflake pattern, and then look for that to occur, then the probability is 102500 (according to their calculations).

Blessings,
                Lee

Comment

No, if the focus is on an event before it happens, then the probability can vary from 100%. For example, if you pick one snowflake pattern, and then look for that to occur, then the probability is 102500 (according to their calculations).

Blessings,
                  Lee
                  More bizzaro calculations that do not make any sense as referenced. Not even worth responding to. The referenced paper was clear and specific.

Frank

Comment

Proteins and genomes have already happened. No-one is picking a DNA sequence and looking for it to occur.* Proteins and genomes aren't designed.

*apart from dishonest creationists and IDers who pretend this is happening.

Comment

Blessings,
                      Lee
                      That probability in not relevant, which is the subject of the reference. The meaningful point of the reference is that the meaningful probability is of each cause and effect outcome event constrained natural law and the environment, and not in this case, one end product. Like snow flakes not all universes, galaxies, suns, solar systems, nor planets are exactly alike, but the Laws of Nature will determine the outcome of each cause and effect in the history of our universe, and all possible universes will be like universes, galaxies, solar systems, stars, and planets. The same is true of clouds, no two clouds will every be exactly alike, but all clouds will look like clouds.
                      Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-19-2019, 02:17 PM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        Proteins and genomes have already happened. No-one is picking a DNA sequence and looking for it to occur.
                        Well here, the probability of a coin flip coming up heads is 50% if you view the coin flip before the event occurs. Viewing the event after the coin flip, the probability is 100% that it came up the way it did. So you can view an event such as protein production before the event occurred, and ask what that probability would be.

Blessings,
                        Lee

Comment

The same is true of clouds, no two clouds will every be exactly alike, but all clouds will look like clouds.
                          So we can ask what the probability is of a natural process producing a given protein, for instance.

Blessings,
                          Lee

Comment

So we can ask what the probability is of a natural process producing a given protein, for instance.

Blessings,
                            Lee

100%

Frank

Comment

100%
                              Surely not, what natural process will generate a given protein with 100% certainty?

Blessings,
                              Lee

Comment