Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Why I refuse to walk with the Washington Women’s March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Why I refuse to walk with the Washington Women’s March

Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Why I refuse to walk with the Washington Women’s March

Interesting...

I walked away from the Women’s March on Washington two years ago absolutely electrified by the promise of what a movement built around sisterhood and solidarity could accomplish.

Today, sadly, I must walk away from the national Women’s March organization, and specifically its leadership.

While I still firmly believe in its values and mission, I cannot associate with the national march’s leaders and principles, which refuse to completely repudiate anti-Semitism and all forms of bigotry. I cannot walk shoulder to shoulder with leaders who lock arms with outspoken peddlers of hate.

Instead, this weekend, I will join a movement of women around the nation who are participating in local marches that have distanced themselves from those national Women’s March leaders who still ally with bigotry.

I am not alone. Teresa Shook, who launched the movement with her viral Facebook post, has publicly called for the co-chairs to resign, writing that Bob Bland, Linda Sarsour, Carmen Perez and Tamika Mallory "have allowed anti-Semitism, anti-LBGTQIA sentiment and hateful, racist rhetoric to become a part of the platform” of the march.

The Southern Poverty Law Center, EMILY’s List and the Democratic National Committee I once led are among the groups distancing themselves from the national event. The Washington State Women’s March rebuked the national group, noting its leaders’ failure to “apologize for their anti-Semitic stance.”

Since that first march, I witnessed a disturbing spike in hatred aimed at Jewish homes, schools and synagogues in my own community. And with anti-Semitism and white nationalism apparently on the upswing in America and globally, the associations that Sarsour, Perez and Mallory have had with Nation of Islam (NOI) leader Louis Farrakhan have been most troubling.

NOI has been deemed a hate organization by the Southern Poverty Law Center. Mallory's attendance at NOI’s annual Saviour’s Day event last year was especially alarming.

It was there that Farrakhan said Jews were “the mother and father of apartheid,” and claimed that Jewish people are responsible for “degenerate behavior that Hollywood is putting out, turning men into women and women into men.”
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

so has she put her hat in the ring for Prez yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      so has she put her hat in the ring for Prez yet?
      Didn't that new Muslim congress woman just attack Israel?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Didn't that new Muslim congress woman just attack Israel?
        oh yeah!

The tweet, which Omar wrote in November 2012 during Operation Pillar of Defense, reads: “Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel.” The newly minted congresswoman faced a wave of criticism over the tweet, which many called antisemitic.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          oh yeah!

The tweet, which Omar wrote in November 2012 during Operation Pillar of Defense, reads: “Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel.” The newly minted congresswoman faced a wave of criticism over the tweet, which many called antisemitic.
          Right and we through Steve King under the buss, but they never shoot their wounded.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Right and we through Steve King under the buss, but they never shoot their wounded.
            You did that on purpose didn't you?

Comment

oops...

Comment

They say that twins can often feel what the other one is feeling. Well I can feel my older little twin brother from another mother spasmodically twitching in response to seer's post nearly 800 miles away -- and I don't think he's even seen it yet!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

...but is she keeping the hat?
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    ...but is she keeping the hat?
                    As I noted elsewhere, "Interestingly the Women's March is now wanting to ban the pink hats that became symbolic of their movement. Why? They don't want to alienate all the women out there who don't have vaginas.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      They say that twins can often feel what the other one is feeling. Well I can feel my older little twin brother from another mother spasmodically twitching in response to seer's post nearly 800 miles away -- and I don't think he's even seen it yet!
                      Are we going to start this again?!

Comment

Are we going to start this again?!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          oh yeah!

She's defending it saying first it's an old tweet (how many others have been censured and condemned for what they wrote in "old" tweets?) and that she's also criticized Saudi Arabia.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            As I noted elsewhere, "Interestingly the Women's March is now wanting to ban the pink hats that became symbolic of their movement. Why? They don't want to alienate all the women out there who don't have vaginas.
                            Do you mean "men"?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              Do you mean "men"?
                              Got it on your first try.

Comment