Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fake News; Buzz Feed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    So he's learned that the left, since back in Reagan's time, solemnly promises to deal with the problem as soon as they get their way only to go back on their word and ignore it. You're familiar with the old saying about "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me" I presume. We'll the left has been continuously making fools of everyone over this for something like two generations now.
    Now they're telling Trump, "First concede your best bargaining chip, and then we'll talk.". Like Trump is going to fall for that.

It's interesting how liberals are studiously ignoring the fact that the first thing the Democrats did in response to the shutdown is go on a tropical vacation.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

So he's learned that the left, since back in Reagan's time, solemnly promises to deal with the problem as soon as they get their way only to go back on their word and ignore it. You're familiar with the old saying about "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me" I presume. We'll the left has been continuously making fools of everyone over this for something like two generations now.
      That is not the point. The point is it is wrong to use funding the government as leverage to get ones way. Especially in this sort of no compromise TL to all those affected by it sort of a way. And I don't care who else did it when. It's wrong to use innocent people this way, to hold people, then entire nation eventually, hostage in this destructive a manner to try to force the other party to give into your demands.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Now they're telling Trump, "First concede your best bargaining chip, and then we'll talk.". Like Trump is going to fall for that.

It's interesting how liberals are studiously ignoring the fact that the first thing the Democrats did in response to the shutdown is go on a tropical vacation.
        People's lives are not 'bargaining chips'.

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
          People's lives are not 'bargaining chips'.
          Then maybe the Democrats need to get serious about compromising with our President.

Comment

Then maybe the Democrats need to get serious about compromising with our President.
            OK, so in your mind when a terrorist holds a gun to someone's head and demands 10,000,000 dollars, then when he US refuses to pay the demand the US is responsible for that persons death?

The president is the one who will not compromise. It's all just a game to him. A game that is fueled by people like you not holding him accountable to normal modes of decency and respect for the people around him.

Jim
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-21-2019, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              OK, so in your mind when a terrorist holds a gun to someone's head and demands 10,000,000 dollars, then when he US refuses to pay the demand the US is responsible for that persons death?

The president is the one who will not compromise. It's all just a game to him. A game that is fueled by people like you not holding him accountable to normal modes of decency and respect for the people around him.

Jim
              In your scenario the actual terrorist is the one who refuses to budge an inch, rejects all offers of compromise even before hearing what it is and tries to sneak off on junkets leaving the American people in the lurch. And that isn't Trump.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Jim

Comment

In your scenario the actual terrorist is the one who refuses to budge an inch, rejects all offers of compromise even before hearing what it is and tries to sneak off on junkets leaving the American people in the lurch. And that isn't Trump.
                  Trump is the one that instigated the shutdown, bragged about it, pushed for it, refused to budge - the wall or a shutdown. It's all on him. The democrats are refusing to allow him to manipulate them with his demand for a wall. Trump is the one trying to force their hand with the shutdown. trump is the one using the shutdown to get his own way.

He also took full credit for it, promised that the shutdown was on him:

Source: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/11/trump-border-wall-congress-budget-1055433

In a pitched partisan argument televised for all to see, the GOP president and the House and Senate Democratic leaders traded barbs over Trump’s border wall during what was supposed to be a private negotiating session to keep a large swath of the government from shuttering after Dec. 21.

And in perhaps his most definitive statement yet, Trump said he would be “proud” to preside over a partial shutdown if that’s what it takes to get his campaign promise fulfilled.

Democrats urged the president against such a stance, even as they seized on the chance to blame Trump for any potential shutdown.

“We shouldn’t shut down the government over a dispute,” said Schumer, the Senate Democratic leader.

© Copyright Original Source

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/11/nancy-pelosi-chuck-schumer-let-trump-take-responsibility-for-shutdown.html

Donald Trump said a shutdown would be on him. Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer were happy to agree

© Copyright Original Source

The shut down is on Trump. You don't have a leg to stand on.

Jim
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-21-2019, 05:06 PM.

Comment

You're drooling. You might want to get that checked.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      Trump is the one that instigated the shutdown, bragged about it, pushed for it, refused to budge - the wall or a shutdown. It's all on him.
                      And that all changed when Pelosi rejected any and all offers to compromise without even bothering to look at what he offered. At that moment Pelosi owned the shutdown.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You're drooling. You might want to get that checked.
                        Sorry, reading your drivel tends to cause that reaction.

Comment

And that all changed when Pelosi rejected any and all offers to compromise without even bothering to look at what he offered. At that moment Pelosi owned the shutdown.
                          The shutdown could have been avoided entirely if Pelosi had put the good of the country ahead of politics.

Comment

You need to come out of your Fox/Breitbart fantasy land.

A temporary extension of DACA as a trade for the full $5.7 billion?

Nope. If Trump offers reasonable compromises and the democrats overplay their hand, you will have a point. But right now, Trump has dug himself into a massive hole, and the only way out is to offer a real compromise. Then if the dems refuse to budge they start to take back ownership. Trump has a LOT of grovelling to do on this one yet. but the Dems may not be smart enough not to overplay their hand. That is yet to be seen.

In any schoolyard when the Bully tries to push someone around that he thinks he's big enough to push around, and that smaller kid stands up to him and pummels him into the ground, the bystanders are ALL in the little kids court. The only way the Bully can win the sympathy of the bystanders is to first yell Uncle loud enough to be heard, and then only if the fellow he was bullying refuses to let him up will the person bullied begin to lose the sympathy of the audience. Trump is a major bully on this one. And has given the Dems huge gains in public sympathy. The wall is not worth a shutdown to all but the 'willing to follow Trump into hell' crowd.

They can afford to tell him where to go with his first 'offer'.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                              So easy... And yet you failed to do it.
                              He quite obviously dismissed them as irrational ravings, Charles.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The shutdown could have been avoided entirely if Pelosi had put the good of the country ahead of politics.
                                The shutdown could have been avoided entirely if Trump didn't decide to shut it down, and to own it. Trump is also the only one that can reopen the government without conditions. You know what that means don't you? It means Trump is holding 800,000 workers and about a million and a half of their family members, not to mention the subcontractors and business owners that are indirectly effected, HOSTAGE. Should we negotiate with hostage takers? I don't think we should encourage that sort of thing from a wannabe dictator, do you?

Comment