Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Question of Respect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I held the door open for a lady this morning, and she gave me a whole quarter!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Now CNN is being sued for $250-million.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019...irect-attacks/
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I held the door open for a lady this morning, and she gave me a whole quarter!
        That makes you a male prostitute!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          But it was a SHINY quarter!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              But it was a SHINY quarter!
              That's how it always starts, Deuce.

Comment

• I see that Cow Poke spotted the invasion of Mass at DC’s National Shrine that was attempted by Nathan Phillips and his fifty-odd fellow agitators; the linked news article reports one agitator calling it “a non-violent peaceful action.” When locked out to prevent entry and loud disruption inside, they “were banging on the doors.”

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post607720

Phillips was deliberately very disrespectful of the Mass and of the worshipers - hundreds of them - the day after the March and incident. In a different timeline we would be questioning why a Catholic schoolboy (or any Catholic) should respect such a man.

Then there's that Phillips seems to think respect is due to him as a Native American Elder: Phillips is not a Chief, never was; 'Elder' means just that, that he's an old man. A half-Native blogger comments ...

Traditionally, eye contact between younger people and older people or people in authority, is considered rude and confrontational. Younger people should cast their eyes down. While this is alien to US mainstream culture, it is still a thing to some extent in some Native communities. This is part of the Native outrage about this incident– and it’s obviously confrontational regardless of culture.

https://memoriesofthepeople.wordpres...e/#comment-921
                It is alien to US mainstream culture, he says; and says "it is still a thing to some extent in some Native communities" - that's just "some extent" ... just "some Native communities", I see, so it's evidently not a routine part of life and expectation even for Native Americans schoolboys; nor is it something that a mainstream US schoolboy should expect to be expected to do.

And given it's an "alien" Native culture, wouldn't the schoolboy's casting his eyes down be cultural appropriation which 'woke' people call out as an 'offence'? It gets very silly, very irrational, and there's no one correct or "correct" thing that even a fully culturally-informed schoolboy should have done.

Any suggestion that Phillips might be a person able to claim to be a person in authority over a non-Native schoolboy is laughable.

And would you respect someone who would disrupt a Mass in progress.

And I realise British people like me need more personal space that Americans do, but had Phillips been so close to me, and so obviously confrontational, I'd have been watching his face and eyes very carefully for any sign of an imminent blow.

Comment

• Even if it's true that making eye contact with an older person is considered disrespectful in Native American culture, what reasonable expectation is there that a high school kid from Kentucky would know this, and why should he be held to that standard? Furthermore, in US culture, avoiding eye contact is generally regarded as shifty and suspicious. If we're supposed to respect his culture, then why can't Phillips respect ours?
                  Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-21-2019, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• Of course, Phillips has been so honest about everything else occurring on the day, that we can take his claim about this particular matter as 100% true without further examination.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      Of course, Phillips has been so honest about everything else occurring on the day, that we can take his claim about this particular matter as 100% true without further examination.
                      I believe you forgot something called....
                      For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Sarcasm tags

"What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Even if it's true that making eye contact with an older person is considered disrespectful in Native American culture, what reasonable expectation is there that a high school kid from Kentucky would know this, and why should he be held to that standard? Furthermore, in US culture, avoiding eye contact is generally regarded as shifty and suspicious. If we're supposed to respect his culture, then why can't Phillips respect ours?
                        It's a cultural practice in Phillips' tribe also to respect interpersonal proximity. He was the one that invaded the personal space of the kid, violating his own culture's practice.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by David Hayward View Post

A half-Native blogger comments ...
                          Traditionally, eye contact between younger people and older people or people in authority, is considered rude and confrontational. Younger people should cast their eyes down. While this is alien to US mainstream culture, it is still a thing to some extent in some Native communities. This is part of the Native outrage about this incident– and it’s obviously confrontational regardless of culture.

https://memoriesofthepeople.wordpres...e/#comment-921
                          This seems to originate from the a mentality that holds that there was a single homogeneous Native American culture and society. That's the same sort of thinking that brought us ideas that all Native Americans lived in teepees and wore feathered bonnets. Its like saying there is no real difference between historical traditions among the people of Japan and India because after all they're both Asian.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Nick Sandmann sues NBC for $275 million.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...c-275-million/

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Nick Sandmann sues NBC for $275 million.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...c-275-million/
                              There needs to be more accountability of so-called journalists irresponsibly spewing forth false narratives to advance their own twisted agendas.

Comment

• Judge reverses ruling; gives Sandmann the go ahead to sue The Washington [com]Post for defamation.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...or-defamation/

Comment