Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Question of Respect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    This seems to be a response to a position I held before that evidence surfaced (for me) of him repeatedly lying about his service, so there's not much more for me to say. I've responded to this.
    You repeatedly claimed it only "appears" he was being misleading about his record long after you were shown the evidence. Then finally you declared he only told one lie and it was about his service record. I'm demonstrating that his only one lie was actually a series of lies about different parts of it.

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Much of this list is a matter of interpretation. For the part that is not, I have not seen that evidence, so I won't have a position until I do. Then, as with him lying about his military service, once I see the evidence, I'll take a position. That probably won't be today.
    No wonder you have not seen the evidence

The Black Hebrew Israelite's own video demonstrates (along with several others) that Phillips was lying when he said it was the Covington students who confronted the BHI saying that "they were in the process of attacking these four black individuals" that the kids were "beasts" and "These young men were beastly and these old black individuals was their prey." The kids basically ignored them.

A slew of videos shows Phillips walking straight up to Sandmann pounding his tom tom in his face not, as he told the Washington Post, that it was the students who went up to him, surrounded him and taunted him.

The above puts the lie to his claim that the Covington students were "looking for trouble, looking for something" had a "mob mentality" and that "It was racism. It was hatred. It was scary." Multiple videos now confirms that they were effectively ignoring the taunts of the BHI and doing nothing more than taking selfies and doing school cheers.

Multiple videos show he lied about the students surrounding him and not letting him pass. He could have simply stepped around Sandmann and continued if that was actually his goal. But it wasn't. He went straight up to him banging his drum in his face.

And he lied about the kids chanting "Build that wall" at him. Even NBC, which was incredibly hostile toward the students in their initial coverage, has admitted:

After a review of the videos NBC News could not hear anyone shouting that hot button phrase

All the videos instead show them chanting school cheers without a single one of the many that have been posted on the internet showing them doing anything even remotely close to what Phillips said and continues to claim.

Matter of interpretation my... eye.
    Last edited by rogue06; 01-25-2019, 08:55 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      It is abundantly clear to everyone reading your words that you are bending over backwards to excuse Phillips for some reason. He is obviously a liar. He has been caught lying about the incident several times and lying about his service for years.
      The students were white Christians, and male to boot, and wearing MAGA hats. Isn't that more than enough to excuse Phillips and blame them?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• OK - I've read through the latest posts - and I have to admit I have no desire to spend the time effort to (again) correct all of the misrepresentations of my position about the issue. I'm going to leave you all to it.

Have a good one.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

It took you long enough. You didn't seem to really try very hard to check out the evidence against Phillips but did your best to excuse him at every turn.

I too at first though Phillips was being the good guy, trying to break up a fight, see my first post

But as I watched the various videos, it was clear that Phillips instigated the confrontation. I don't know how else someone should respond to an angry Indian pounding a drum in their face. Standing there with a smile on his face seems to be the best response. He had no idea what was going on according to his interview. At least he didn't start yelling at Philiips. And if Phillips was trying to diffuse a situation, why wasn't he saying anything? Beating a drum in someones face is provoking them, not calming them.
          If he was trying to diffuse the situation there were scores of cops around. He could have pointed out what was going on to them.

But there was no situation to diffuse. The students were in effect ignoring the taunts from the BHI. Those that had initially walked over to listen to them argue with the Native Americans had got bored and walked away. But Phillips claimed they were, as he said "in the process of attacking" the BHI, acting like "beasts" with the BHI as their "prey." Then he claimed that the students turned on him as he was minding his own business, surrounding him and taunting him, refusing to let him leave.

None of that was even remotely true.

Comment

OK - I've read through the latest posts - and I have to admit I have no desire to spend the time effort to (again) correct all of the misrepresentations of my position about the issue. I'm going to leave you all to it.

Have a good one.

Before you leave for the last time, why don't you admit you were wrong by saying, "I was wrong".

Otherwise, you have absolutely zero credibility left here about anything.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

If his account that Sandmann blocked him intentionally and confrontationally is true - his "demand" has merit.
              You prefer to believe the serial liar rather than the video of events?

As for the rest, so a demonstration/protest is not "neat" and "convenient" and that makes the protesters bad? I suspect, Rogue, that if the protesters had been arguing for something you agreed with, inconvenience and disruption wouldn't be all that much of an issue for you.
              I'm not Rogue, and you're grasping at straws. I used to have respect for you -- why are you doing this to yourself?

Phillips is a fraud - serially.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think I've noted this - there is now evidence I have seen that convinces me he lies about his tour of service.
                And on his "tour of service", he bases his life - it's who he claims he is. He's a fraud.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have also responded hand waved to this.
                  fify

Comment

It is abundantly clear to everyone reading your words that you are bending over backwards to excuse Phillips for some reason. He is obviously a liar. He has been caught lying about the incident several times and lying about his service for years.
                    There is a similar video of a similar event from 2015 involving Phillips confronting other college students that I can't post because it's full of F-bombs - I'll try to find a way to post it. But in that video, Phillips doubles down on his "Vietnam service". Not just a "Vietnam times veteran", but his 'service' in Vietnam.

Comment

OK - I've come to the realization that I have no leg to stand on, but can't bring myself to admit I was wrong.

Have a good one.
                      Fixed that for you, no charge.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

OK - I've read through the latest posts - and I have to admit I have no desire to spend the time effort to (again) correct all of the misrepresentations of my position about the issue. I'm going to leave you all to it.

Have a good one.
                        I think you've actually (finally) come to the conclusion that it's a waste of time to keep defending the lying political activist just because he's a Native American.

He is constantly referring to his Vietnam Service -- sometimes directly, but usually in a rather disingenuous "Vietnam Veteran (times)" manner - and even then, it's clearly a gutless attempt to bring some kind of honor and/or sympathy based on his "Vietnam Veteran" status.

He's a fraud. His life is based on a lie, and he frequently paints himself as the victim when, in truth, he's so often the aggressor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I think you've actually (finally) come to the conclusion that it's a waste of time to keep defending the lying political activist just because he's a Native American.

He is constantly referring to his Vietnam Service -- sometimes directly, but usually in a rather disingenuous "Vietnam Veteran (times)" manner - and even then, it's clearly a gutless attempt to bring some kind of honor and/or sympathy based on his "Vietnam Veteran" status.

He's a fraud. His life is based on a lie, and he frequently paints himself as the victim when, in truth, he's so often the aggressor.
                          has he made any response to the outing of his lies?

Comment

has he made any response to the outing of his lies?
                            I don't think so.... in one video, he says "I've always said I was a Vietnam TIMES veteran", but I don't see any push back from the MSM. It's like everybody's scared to just 'up front' ask him direct questions. He needs to be confronted with those video clips where he actually says he was a Vietnam Veteran and was "in country". (though, I have to admit, he doesn't say WHICH country he was "in" )

In the 2015 video, he presents himself as a weak little helpless victim and everybody picks on him, even though (not his actual words) "us veterans fought for their right to do that". Not sure if it's that video or not, but he even whines about being "spit on" when he came back from Vietnam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I don't think so.... in one video, he says "I've always said I was a Vietnam TIMES veteran", but I don't see any push back from the MSM. It's like everybody's scared to just 'up front' ask him direct questions. He needs to be confronted with those video clips where he actually says he was a Vietnam Veteran and was "in country". (though, I have to admit, he doesn't say WHICH country he was "in" )

In the 2015 video, he presents himself as a weak little helpless victim and everybody picks on him, even though (not his actual words) "us veterans fought for their right to do that". Not sure if it's that video or not, but he even whines about being "spit on" when he came back from Vietnam.
                              They won't confront them because it indicts their whole narrative. They are happy to sweep it under the rug with a simple "correction" at the bottom of their articles.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Indeed.

There is a video recording of him lying through his teeth when he said he was a "Vietnam veteran." This demonstrates beyond any doubt that he deliberately misrepresents his military service. And the fact that virtually every news outlet that interviewed him after the incident also described him as a "Vietnam veteran" rather than "Vietnam era veteran" or "Vietnam times veteran" strongly indicates that he was misrepresenting himself to at least some of them as well, after all it strains credibility past the breaking point to say that they all made the same mistake.

Then there is his lying about being a "recon ranger" when he was in fact a refrigerator mechanic.

Then there is his lying about being dishonorably discharged.

And of course there is his ever-changing stories about what happened during the encounter which are chock full of demonstrable falsehoods (some of which he still continues to willfully disseminate), which serves that he wouldn't know what telling the truth even is.
                                It is his INTENT for people to assume he's a Vietnam Vet --- that makes him a fraud.

Comment