Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Question of Respect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DxfHTEVU8AEjj4E.jpg large.jpg

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]34570[/ATTACH]

I don't care for that image. It's actually kind of nasty to what really happened here and that needs to be addressed. It shows how quickly people with evil intentions can incite things and this image literally throws gasoline on a fire MM.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Even the WaPo this morning admitted the "Hebrew Israelites" were taunting both groups.
        If they converted to Mormonism, would they become.....

nevermind
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Conveniently? Charles, how did you manage to become such an egotist that you believe every bit of your dribble deserves a response?

Actually, if you paid attention, you would have noticed I deferred to MM, who does a much better job of keeping up with this stuff, and he provided a very recent additional example. To wit:
          Relax and find a decent tone. The fact that I dislike the fact that you leave out important parts of my text hardly makes me an egoist.

And, so, you refer to MM to suppor your conclusion? And he refers to two examples in the past week, right? Is that the foundation your conclusion builds on?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            If you watch the video in your Washington Post article, both of them (the teen and the Indian) say they are trying to diffuse the situation in their own way. It seem they both had problems with the black Israelites. The teen says they were doing school chants to counter the black Israelites hurling insults at them ("incest babies" etc) and were not chanting anything about a wall.
            I am aware of all of the conflicting stories. I've come to the conclusion that the best I can do is "I don't know." That the Black Isrealites were acting poorly an unacceptably seems evident. They claim they were responding to taunting from the boys - but I have not found video evidence of any of that. The claim by Phillips that he attempted to "get between" to diffuse tension seems to fit with the video, but there is no video I have found of the moment of the encounter with Sandmann, so no way for me to take a definitive position one way or the other. The look on the face of the young man is one I recognize (having dealt with a lot of youth in a lot on contexts), and I do not think it fits with his explanation very well. Again - I don't know him so I cannot take a definitive stance one way or the other.

At this point, the best position I can take is to call the entire thing very sad. I wish we did not live in a nation where this type of engagement was as common as it has become - and has been at other times in our history.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              I did not intend to imply you suggested anything of the sort.

I have some experience with what the Washington Post (in particular) reports regarding the march in question. Suffice it to say, if there IS a negative angle, they WILL cover it; if not, silence appears to be their chosen option.
              My experience is that all media outlets go after negative stories - because the readers and listeners tune in to them. That is probably for the same reason that people rubberneck at traffic accidents, and join into mobs. Now that news is a for-profit venture - we can expect them to report what will generate eyeballs for advertisers. If we want something different, we should consider a different way of funding news.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                Relax and find a decent tone.
                I am relaxed, Charles. As to my "tone", just try not to be such a snowflake.

The fact that I dislike the fact that you leave out important parts of my text hardly makes me an egoist.
                Laughing... "important parts of my text"..... what an ego! Charles, honey, you're a .... the fact that you think parts of your text are important is..... amusing.

And, so, you refer to MM to suppor your conclusion?
                I did. (defer, not refer)

And he refers to two examples in the past week, right?
                Very good examples, actually.

Is that the foundation your conclusion builds on?
                "builds on"?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                  My experience is that all media outlets go after negative stories - because the readers and listeners tune in to them. That is probably for the same reason that people rubberneck at traffic accidents, and join into mobs. Now that news is a for-profit venture - we can expect them to report what will generate eyeballs for advertisers. If we want something different, we should consider a different way of funding news.
                  In this case, the lightning rod appears to have been the MAGA hats, so the media jumped on this in their ongoing hatefest of all things Trump:

Media Trump Hatred Shows In 92% Negative Coverage Of His Presidency: Study

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I am relaxed, Charles. As to my "tone", just try not to be such a snowflake.

Laughing... "important parts of my text"..... what an ego! Charles, honey, you're a .... the fact that you think parts of your text are important is..... amusing.

I did. (defer, not refer)

Very good examples, actually.

"builds on"?
                    Ok, so you had nothing to point to but the two examples? See if you can get by without the personal attacks.

Comment

I am aware of all of the conflicting stories. I've come to the conclusion that the best I can do is "I don't know." That the Black Isrealites were acting poorly an unacceptably seems evident. They claim they were responding to taunting from the boys - but I have not found video evidence of any of that. The claim by Phillips that he attempted to "get between" to diffuse tension seems to fit with the video, but there is no video I have found of the moment of the encounter with Sandmann, so no way for me to take a definitive position one way or the other. The look on the face of the young man is one I recognize (having dealt with a lot of youth in a lot on contexts), and I do not think it fits with his explanation very well. Again - I don't know him so I cannot take a definitive stance one way or the other.

At this point, the best position I can take is to call the entire thing very sad. I wish we did not live in a nation where this type of engagement was as common as it has become - and has been at other times in our history.
                      Right... when the facts directly contradict your narrative (after all, you were quick to jump on the kids for being "fairly clearly Trump supporters"), just throw your hands up in the air say, "I don't know!"

Look, man, just admit that you bought into another liberal media hoax, and try to do a better job of vetting your sources in the future.
                      Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-22-2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                        It's actually kind of nasty to what really happened here and that needs to be addressed.
                        The only thing "nasty" about this situation are the lies told by the liberal media as they tried to pillory a group of innocent high school kids for no other reason than they happened to be wearing MAGA hats.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Right... when the facts directly contract your narrative (after all, you were quick to jump on the kids for being "fairly clearly Trump supporters"), just throw your hands up in the air say, "I don't know!"

Look, man, just admit that you bought into another liberal media hoax, and try to do a better job of vetting your sources in the future.
                          No such admission is necessary. The presence of #MAGA hats supports the observation that there were Trump supporters present. I don't believe, at any point, that I said that proved anything about the engagement, but you are welcome to point to where I said such a thing if you think I am misremembering. Frankly, I don't recall saying anything about the MAGA hats at all.

Meanwhile - until and if there is more video/audio evidence, my position will remain where I have just stated it to be. I think a lot of people are reading into the videos exactly what they want to see, even when the videos do not unequivocally support that position. I'd prefer to withhold judgment until/if there is something more conclusive. I'm not big on just being part of the mob.

ETA: I just went through my posts - and I have to admit I'm not seeing any place where I said "boys bad" or even identified them as "Trump supporters." I AM seeing several places where you inferred things in my posts I did not put there and reacted to them. That may be part of the confusion.
                          Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-22-2019, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                            Ok, so you had nothing to point to but the two examples?
                            Those are only the two most recent examples, Charles. How bout dealing with them first?

See if you can get by without the personal attacks.
                            Awwwww, your widdle feewins huwttin?

Stop being such a Nanny and maybe I'll be nice to you like I am to my buddy Carpe!

Comment

No such admission is necessary. The presence of #MAGA hats supports the observation that there were Trump supporters present. I don't believe, at any point, that I said that proved anything about the engagement, but you are welcome to point to where I said such a thing if you think I am misremembering. Frankly, I don't recall saying anything about the MAGA hats at all.

Meanwhile - until and if there is more video/audio evidence, my position will remain where I have just stated it to be. I think a lot of people are reading into the videos exactly what they want to see, even when the videos do not unequivocally support that position. I'd prefer to withhold judgment until/if there is something more conclusive. I'm not big on just being part of the mob.

ETA: I just went through my posts - and I have to admit I'm not seeing any place where I said "boys bad" or even identified them as "Trump supporters." I AM seeing several places where you inferred things in my posts I did not put there and reacted to them. That may be part of the confusion.
                              Then why did you ask about respect in your OP? Who was being disrespectful? You were suggesting the kids - weren't you? You even accused them of a "build the wall" chant, which never happened.

As you said:

It concerns the intersection of the Indigenous People's March and some teens from the March for Life who are fairly clearly Trump supporters (hats, "build that wall" chants, etc.).
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I am curious to know what the response is to this story.

It concerns the intersection of the Indigenous People's March and some teens from the March for Life who are fairly clearly Trump supporters (hats, "build that wall" chants, etc.).
                                Good point from Seer* -- where's the support for the "build that wall" chants, and what's the "etc"?

*hey, even a blind hog can find an acorn occasionally

Comment