Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Question of Respect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Judge reverses ruling; gives Sandmann the go ahead to sue The Washington [com]Post for defamation.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...or-defamation/
    Interesting.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I support the idea of a defamation lawsuit but $275 million really is an outrageous amount. It speaks volumes about our litigious society.

People released from prison after decades from a wrongful conviction barely get a fraction of that.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I support the idea of a defamation lawsuit but $275 million really is an outrageous amount. It speaks volumes about our litigious society.

People released from prison after decades from a wrongful conviction barely get a fraction of that.
        It's what he, or rather his lawyers, are asking for. There's no guarantee it's what they'll actually get.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It's what he, or rather his lawyers, are asking for. There's no guarantee it's what they'll actually get.
          Well, yes, I know, and I know that you ask for more than what you want. But the fact that we're even in that ballpark says something about our society.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Well, yes, I know, and I know that you ask for more than what you want. But the fact that we're even in that ballpark says something about our society.
            Eh, more about the lawyers representing him, doubtless on a contingency fee basis.
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

It could be greed, but it could also be that if the goal here is to change behavior then they want a settlement that won't shrugged off as pocket change by a media empire.

Comment

It could be greed, but it could also be that if the goal here is to change behavior then they want a settlement that won't shrugged off as pocket change by a media empire.
                Yeah, if you don't hit a mega-conglomerate hard they simply write it off as part of the cost of doing business and continue unabated.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• BREAKING: Covington Catholic Student Nick Sandmann Gets Settlement From CNN After $275 Million Lawsuit

Comment

• The kid is set for life, and all he had to do is stand there peacefully while a man aggressively beat a drum in his face.

Nice work, if you can get it.

Comment

The kid is set for life, and all he had to do is stand there peacefully while a man aggressively beat a drum in his face.

Nice work, if you can get it.
                      The actual payoff may be negotiated down, and his lawyers will probably get 40%, but STILL .... yeah, the kid has it made.

I think all the Twebbers who attacked him should have to pay their fair share, too.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        The actual payoff may be negotiated down, and his lawyers will probably get 40%, but STILL .... yeah, the kid has it made.
                        Generally, no. The settlement IS the payoff as negotiated down; the only way to reopen that is if one side or the other breaks the agreement. The kid may or may not have it made; defamation suits are very difficult to successfully prosecute, and the settlement would reflect that.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Generally, no. The settlement IS the payoff as negotiated down; the only way to reopen that is if one side or the other breaks the agreement. The kid may or may not have it made; defamation suits are very difficult to successfully prosecute, and the settlement would reflect that.
                          With one suit successfully settled, I think the other media outlets he is suing will settle too.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Generally, no. The settlement IS the payoff as negotiated down;
                            Correct, just allowing for legal wrangling.

the only way to reopen that is if one side or the other breaks the agreement.
                            What often happens is delay tactics on behalf of the payer, and a willingness on behalf of the payee to get the money sooner.

The kid may or may not have it made; defamation suits are very difficult to successfully prosecute, and the settlement would reflect that.
                            Not sure what you're saying here - either he's getting a boatload of cash or he's not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              With one suit successfully settled, I think the other media outlets he is suing will settle too.
                              With the obligatory "but don't tell anybody" contracts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think all the Twebbers who attacked him should have to pay their fair share, too.
                                That's what was negotiated so whatever the settlement was is what they'll pay. And even if it were only a tenth of what they sued for that still leaves him something like $16.5 million after the lawyers get their share (but before Uncle Sam takes theirs).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment