Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Question of Respect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question of Respect?

I am curious to know what the response is to this story.

It concerns the intersection of the Indigenous People's March and some teens from the March for Life who are fairly clearly Trump supporters (hats, "build that wall" chants, etc.).
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

In any crowd of some size, there's bound to be some jerks. The diocese was right to condemn their actions.

That said, THIS is what the WaPo chooses to cover regarding the March for Life, and puts it under "acts of faith". SMH.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Why chant it at Native Americans of all people? That makes literally no sense.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        In any crowd of some size, there's bound to be some jerks. The diocese was right to condemn their actions.

That said, THIS is what the WaPo chooses to cover regarding the March for Life, and puts it under "acts of faith". SMH.
        I never suggested this was the only thing they reported.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Given that the march happens every year, it would make sense that something that happens out of the ordinary would be reported.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Why chant it at Native Americans of all people? That makes literally no sense.
            It's not clear to me the students were chanting it AT the native elders. I think the chant was simply heard coming from the same group at some point. Or perhaps they saw people who were not white and jumped to the conclusion they were just another form of immigrant? They are, after all, kids.

That being said - I have no idea when/where the "build that wall" chant happened.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

That being said - I have no idea when/where the "build that wall" chant happened.
              I think you've probably hit the nail on the head when you said "they were kids". Kids like to be edgy. When I was in sixth/seventh grade, I thought communism was "cool", even though I had no idea what it actually was.

Comment

Those kids were being disrespectful to their elders -- regardless who the elders are or what this is about.

Next?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Those kids were being disrespectful to their elders -- regardless who the elders are or what this is about.

Next?
                  It just makes me sad that they were there to fight for the unborn and instead they placed a major own goal on their own fight. You'd better believe nearly every single liberal on my Facebook is posting about this incident. They tend to believe the worst about us pro-lifers; that we don't actually care. We know that's wrong (well, in most cases... there are some sociopaths in every movement), of course, but this won't help.

Comment

It just makes me sad that they were there to fight for the unborn and instead they placed a major own goal on their own fight. You'd better believe nearly every single liberal on my Facebook is posting about this incident. They tend to believe the worst about us pro-lifers; that we don't actually care. We know that's wrong, of course, but this won't help.
                    Yes - and I hope their parents had a good talk with them after they saw them on the news.

As a youth minister for a good number of years (and a youth prior to that) I can attest that kids often do really stupid things in groups that none of them would ever do individually.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I am curious to know what the response is to this story.

It concerns the intersection of the Indigenous People's March and some teens from the March for Life who are fairly clearly Trump supporters (hats, "build that wall" chants, etc.).
                      You know, just once I'd love to see you post an article from a conservative source and ask for our opinions; I mean, seeing how you're a "moderate" and all...

Anyway, I don't think you'll find anybody here who will defend the actions these teens, but I think it's a huge stretch for the author of this screed editorial to try and pin the blame on Trump. Why not blame the boys' parents instead? Or their teachers? Or anybody else who more directly influences their behavior?
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Given that the march happens every year, it would make sense that something that happens out of the ordinary would be reported.
                        They usually tend to ignore it or give it passing mention.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          You know, just once I'd love to see you post an article from a conservative source and ask for our opinions; I mean, seeing how you're a "moderate" and all...
                          Actually - that's a good point (though I'm pretty sure I've posted a few). I do have a tendency to post articles counter to the "bubble" of the cite I am visiting, to see what the reaction is and try to understand it. I'm sure that contributes to the perception that I am "from the other camp." It probably leads to conversations that are mostly about the things I am opposed to related to that site. I had never actually thought about that dynamic before. Thanks!

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Anyway, I don't think you'll find anybody here who will defend the actions these teens, but I think it's a huge stretch for the author of this screed editorial to try and pin the blame on Trump. Why not blame the boys' parents instead? Or their teachers? Or anybody else who more directly influences their behavior?
                          Here we disagree. I see all of them as having some responsibility - but I also want to be careful. Kids sometimes "act out" - despite any parenting or guidance they have received. So I'm not a fan of "jumping on parents" or local church leaders until there is evidence that they really did not do what they should have as parents (beyond their children acting out).

But if people can lay some blame on "society" for the morals that are being instilled in our youth - then I think the examples made by the leaders of that society should be called out. Trump is not alone - but he is certainly one who has set the example of taunt, bully, and ridicule.
                          Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-20-2019, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Actually - that's a good point (though I'm pretty sure I've posted a few). I do have a tendency to post articles counter to the "bubble" of the cite I am visiting...
                            Site.

(I always have to stop and think which one I intend to cite)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Site.

(I always have to stop and think which one I intend to cite)
                              I just toss those out occasionally to keep you happy.

Kind of the equivalent of feeding the goats at the petting zoo...

Comment