Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Question of Respect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    The same would apply, although they never had the same universal impact as MAGA Hats; these are unambiguously associated with Trump and the Republican Party. Churches and Church Schools etc are not taxed and as such they are prevented from publicly endorsing or supporting any political candidates. This is what occurred on this Church-School organised field trip with the full knowledge of the school chaperones.
    By your incredibly twisted reasoning, anybody who supports abortion is endorsing a whole bunch of DEMOCRAT political candidates. It amazes me how assertive you are in your profound ignorance of American politics.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      ...You make yourself look foolish with your complete ignorance here.
      I think what's happening here is that, since JimL isn't posting, Tassman has to post enough stupid for the both of them. JimL will have a lot of amen'ing to do when he reads Tassy's posts.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

repeating yourself again? We already told you, schools have no control over what their students do or support politically. In fact there have been lawsuits over schools trying to suppress student's first amendment rights when they try to keep them from expressing religious faiths or forming clubs. Not even on field trips or on the campus itself. If you are going to keep pretending you are some expert on the USA and our constitution, at least get simple stuff right. You make yourself look foolish with your complete ignorance here.
        You'll have to excuse NPC Tass he is stuck on his default response because his leftist programmers couldn't program any responses to the Truth and Facts you and others are posting without it changing their false narrative that Tass and the other leftists on this board have been programmed to believe and disseminate.

Comment

The same would apply, although they never had the same universal impact as MAGA Hats; these are unambiguously associated with Trump and the Republican Party. Churches and Church Schools etc are not taxed and as such they are prevented from publicly endorsing or supporting any political candidates. This is what occurred on this Church-School organised field trip with the full knowledge of the school chaperones.
          And a Hope and Change Obama shirt wasn't unambiguously associated with Obama and the Democrat Party?

00000000000000ab000-01d.jpg
          Yeah, maybe that's about some restaurant or something
          Last edited by rogue06; 02-22-2019, 02:29 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            And a Hope and Change Obama shirt wasn't unambiguously associated with Obama and the Democrat Party?
            And an individual can purchase such an item regardless of what group they belong to.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

repeating yourself again? We already told you, schools have no control over what their students do or support politically.
              Are you saying that a Church School has no control over its own students, when they are on an officially designated school field-trip under the supervision of school chaperones? If this is so, they have no business running a school.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              And a Hope and Change Obama shirt wasn't unambiguously associated with Obama and the Democrat Party? ]
              Of course. Which is why I said that the same would apply to them as MAGA Hats being worn at official, church-sponsored public activities.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Seriously? What right does a school chaperone have to prevent a student from exercising his constitutional rights?
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                  Seriously? What right does a school chaperone have to prevent a student from exercising his constitutional rights?
                  Tassman is showing himself to be a control freak. He thinks others should be, as well.

Comment

Seriously? What right does a school chaperone have to prevent a student from exercising his constitutional rights?
                    Like all far leftist, Tazzy loves the idea of forcing people to do things against their will.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Are you saying that a Church School has no control over its own students, when they are on an officially designated school field-trip under the supervision of school chaperones? If this is so, they have no business running a school.

Of course. Which is why I said that the same would apply to them as MAGA Hats being worn at official, church-sponsored public activities.
                      Tassman,
                      You are under the impression that school is for brain washing its students into thinking one way. Here is where your statements fail. School is to teach its students how to think not what to think.

In your world every one has to think and act the same. Just like you the students need to repeat the same thing over and over again not knowing how to defend it.
                      The students at the school be it a Catholic, Muslim, Jewish, or Public School all have the right to buy anything that is not illegal. This actually reflects well on the Chaperones of the school did not stop them from buying or wearing the Maga Hats. As individuals the students have the right to buy and wear the MAGA hats.

Also Please don’t go down the tired old “Separation of Church and State” bit. That is an argument that has failed in the courts. Because students (as US citizens) have the right to pray, worship, hold bible studies, or study the Qur'an or even preach. As long as the school does not require them to do these things. The onus is on the school not to force require these things.

As far as churches and politics are concerned, the people in the church have the right to voice any political view the wish under their individual rights (Even the Leaders of the church, from the pulpit). This is the right to free speech that every individual American has. Being a member of a religion does not cancel out the right of free speech.

I would like to say that it pains me that so much time is being spent on what the students could have done to make the situation better and how little time is spent on the attackers that bullied, taunted, and tried to intimidate the students. That is cowardly to me to blame the victims and let the perpetrator get off scott free.
                      Last edited by The Pendragon; 02-23-2019, 05:35 PM.
                      "Any sufficiently advanced technology, is indistinguishable from Magic!"
                      -- Arthur C. Clark

Comment

• Originally posted by The Pendragon View Post
                        Tassman,
                        You are under the impression that school is for brain washing its students into thinking one way. Here is where your statements fail. School is to teach its students how to think not what to think.

In your world every one has to think and act the same. Just like you the students need to repeat the same thing over and over again not knowing how to defend it.
                        The students at the school be it a Catholic, Muslim, Jewish, or Public School all have the right to buy anything that is not illegal. This actually reflects well on the Chaperones of the school did not stop them from buying or wearing the Maga Hats. As individuals the students have the right to buy and wear the MAGA hats.
                        Also Please don’t go down the tired old “Separation of Church and State” bit. That is an argument that has failed in the courts. Because students (as US citizens) have the right to prey, worship, hold bible studies, or study the Qur'an or even preach. As long as the school does not require them to do these things. The onus is on the school not to force require these things.

As far as churches and politics are concerned, the people in the church have the right to voice any political view the wish under their individual rights (Even the Leaders of the church, from the pulpit). This is the right to free speech that every individual American has. Being a member of a religion does not cancel out the right of free speech.

I would like to say that it pains me that so much time is being spent on what the students could have done to make the situation better and how little time is spent on the attackers that bullied, taunted, and tried to intimidate the students. That is cowardly to me to blame the victims and let the perpetrator get off scott free.
                        Folks like Tass believe that the very fact they were wearing MAGA hats makes them culpable. They were "asking for it" by being provocatively dressed. This view has been expressed by various politicians, news people and celebutards.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Folks like Tass believe that the very fact they were wearing MAGA hats makes them culpable. They were "asking for it" by being provocatively dressed. This view has been expressed by various politicians, news people and celebutards.
                          So Rogue06,
                          I hope Tassman is smarter then falling into the trap of supporting the view that if a girl wears a mini skirt is provocatively dressed and is at fault if she is accosted. And I hope he is smart enough to not use the old reply "It's different" without explaining why it's different. That would just prove what I said in the post above. That he has been told what to think not how to think, that would be sad.
                          "Any sufficiently advanced technology, is indistinguishable from Magic!"
                          -- Arthur C. Clark

Comment

• Originally posted by The Pendragon View Post
                            Tassman,
                            Am I? Where on earth do you get that idea?

Also Please don’t go down the tired old “Separation of Church and State” bit. That is an argument that has failed in the courts. Because students (as US citizens) have the right to pray, worship, hold bible studies, or study the Qur'an or even preach. As long as the school does not require them to do these things. The onus is on the school not to force require these things.

As far as churches and politics are concerned, the people in the church have the right to voice any political view the wish under their individual rights (Even the Leaders of the church, from the pulpit). This is the right to free speech that every individual American has. Being a member of a religion does not cancel out the right of free speech. Under the U.S. tax code, nonprofit organizations such as churches may express views on any issue, but they jeopardize their tax-exempt status if they speak for or against particular political parties.

I would like to say that it pains me that so much time is being spent on what the students could have done to make the situation better and how little time is spent on the attackers that bullied, taunted, and tried to intimidate the students. That is cowardly to me to blame the victims and let the perpetrator get off scott free
                            What self-righteous, pretentious crap. The argument is very simple. Churches and church institutions such as Church Schools receive tax exemptions with the proviso that they do not actively participate publicly in political discourse. That was what the students were doing by wearing Trump MAGA Hats on an officially organized school field trip. The school chaperones should have had more sense than allow them. They were putting the school's tax-exempt status at risk. What the students do and believe on their own time is their business. Under the U.S. tax code, nonprofit organizations such as churches may express views on any issue, but they jeopardize their tax-exempt status if they speak for or against any political party.
                            Last edited by Tassman; 02-23-2019, 11:54 PM.
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• A wholly expected argument ... maybe because it has already been advanced in prior posts. Simple fact is - no student is an authorised representative of the school in question. He is a private citizen ... or maybe not, if he is a minor - in which case he would be a private individual. And again - the school has no right (as Pendragon pointed out in post #505) to prevent a student from buying and using legal merchandise. As for the argument about Christian schools being exempt from taxation, land taxes et al: I don't know the American system but in Australia, that is simply not the case. Tax exemptions apply only to particular activities of the church such as donations but not to rents from properties owned by the church, for example.
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

A wholly expected argument ... maybe because it has already been advanced in prior posts. Simple fact is - no student is an authorised representative of the school in question. He is a private citizen ... or maybe not, if he is a minor - in which case he would be a private individual. And again - the school has no right (as Pendragon pointed out in post #505) to prevent a student from buying and using legal merchandise. As for the argument about Christian schools being exempt from taxation, land taxes et al: I don't know the American system but in Australia, that is simply not the case. Tax exemptions apply only to particular activities of the church such as donations but not to rents from properties owned by the church, for example.
                                In the U.S. churches do enjoy a tax exempt status which means that the church or its affiliates shouldn't be engaging in political campaigning, endorsing a particular candidate from the pulpit and the like. But that in no way whatsoever prohibits their members from expressing their views. It would not be a violation for someone to attend service wearing a MAGA hat or an Obama "Hope" shirt. Likewise there is no transgression if someone sported such gear at a church sponsored rally, especially after the event. To claim otherwise is an obvious infringement on their First Amendment right to free speech.

Comment