Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Question of Respect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one should be anything but proud of these young men. They met hostility with good cheer and the kind of firmness that says, “You will not bully me, and I will not be provoked.”

These kids represent the best of Christianity, and on this Martin Luther King Day, represent King’s own example of nonviolent resistance.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...ovington-kids/
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      No one should be anything but proud of these young men. They met hostility with good cheer and the kind of firmness that says, “You will not bully me, and I will not be provoked.”

These kids represent the best of Christianity, and on this Martin Luther King Day, represent King’s own example of nonviolent resistance.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...ovington-kids/
      After finally watching the entire (long) video I would be proud if my children (if I had any) behaved in such a well-mannered, restrained and civil manner in spite of intense efforts to provoke them. All that remains for the left (including carpe) to say is well, um, er, uh, I don't like the look on the one kid's face. It was a look of befuddled confusion but they desperately want to twist it into something evil. Truly sad. I mean, there is reason to complain that our present society has lost a great deal of civility and yet these kids displayed it in spades and they get demonized for it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        After finally watching the entire (long) video I would be proud if my children (if I had any) behaved in such a well-mannered, restrained and civil manner in spite of intense efforts to provoke them. All that remains for the left (including carpe) to say is well, um, er, uh, I don't like the look on the one kid's face. It was a look of befuddled confusion but they desperately want to twist it into something evil. Truly sad. I mean, there is reason to complain that our present society has lost a great deal of civility and yet these kids displayed it in spades and they get demonized for it.
        The statement the kid issued was 1000% more gracious than anything I would have proffered -- at that age, or now.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          The statement the kid issued was 1000% more gracious than anything I would have proffered -- at that age, or now.
          To be fair, he wrote it with the help of a lawyer, which was a very smart move. That's likely why it was a "just the facts" account that didn't speculate about the motives of the other parties involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
            Which is why my post included the text: "Or you have perhaps got other examples you would like to share?" which you conveniently left out.
            Conveniently? Charles, how did you manage to become such an egotist that you believe every bit of your dribble deserves a response?

And then you have moved on and I am yet to see you provide examples.
            Actually, if you paid attention, you would have noticed I deferred to MM, who does a much better job of keeping up with this stuff, and he provided a very recent additional example. To wit:

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            We've had two in the past week: this story, and the BuzzFeed debacle.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              I never suggested this was the only thing they reported.
              I did not intend to imply you suggested anything of the sort.

I have some experience with what the Washington Post (in particular) reports regarding the march in question. Suffice it to say, if there IS a negative angle, they WILL cover it; if not, silence appears to be their chosen option.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Did we catch that the fringe group the Black hebrew israelites were taunting the boys and possibly the native american guys too? It looks like the fringe group was there JUST TO CREATE this incident. And worse they succeeded. I'd like to throw the cult into a dumpster!
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

ABC is one of the few MSM outlets talking about a "rush to judgment" wrt to the teens whereas most of the others (especially NBC) are still pushing the now discredited narrative of evil white racists provoking a confrontation. Over on CNN we can hear how it was all the fault of the MAGA hats and interestingly Twitter has (so far) refused to delete the incredibly vile threats made against the teens.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                    Did we catch that the fringe group the Black hebrew israelites were taunting the boys and possibly the native american guys too? It looks like the fringe group was there JUST TO CREATE this incident. And worse they succeeded. I'd like to throw the cult into a dumpster!
                    Even the WaPo this morning admitted the "Hebrew Israelites" were taunting both groups.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      I am curious to know what the response is to this story.

It concerns the intersection of the Indigenous People's March and some teens from the March for Life who are fairly clearly Trump supporters (hats, "build that wall" chants, etc.).

If you watch the video in your Washington Post article, both of them (the teen and the Indian) say they are trying to diffuse the situation in their own way. It seem they both had problems with the black Israelites. The teen says they were doing school chants to counter the black Israelites hurling insults at them ("incest babies" etc) and were not chanting anything about a wall.
                      Last edited by Sparko; 01-22-2019, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        If you watch the video, both of them (the teen and the Indian) say they are trying to diffuse the situation in their own way. It seem they both had problems with the black Israelites. The teen says they were doing school chants to counter the black Israelites hurling insults at them ("incest babies" etc) and were not chanting anything about a wall.
                        The full video, that is, not the short one initially provided.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          The full video, that is, not the short one initially provided.
                          I am talking about the video at the top of the Washington Post article he posted in the OP. The text of the article is completely at odds with the narration of the video above. It is clear if you watch the video that the Black Israelites were the cause of the problem and both the Indians and the Students were trying to diffuse the situation. The students were chanting school chants to drown out the insults, and the Indians were trying to move in between the two groups to stop a confrontation they feared was about to occur.

You might need to open the link in a new private window to view it since WaPo will block your access to it's articles after a few free ones per month.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...a0d_video.html

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Even the WaPo this morning admitted the "Hebrew Israelites" were taunting both groups.
                            Too little, too late. If the liberal media put as much effort into telling the truth as they do spreading their lies then we wouldn't have situations like this.

Comment

trump_tweet.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                ABC is one of the few MSM outlets talking about a "rush to judgment" wrt to the teens whereas most of the others (especially NBC) are still pushing the now discredited narrative of evil white racists provoking a confrontation. Over on CNN we can hear how it was all the fault of the MAGA hats and interestingly Twitter has (so far) refused to delete the incredibly vile threats made against the teens.
                                CNN and the others failed the test C.S lewis gives in Mere Christianity.

The real test is this. Suppose one reads a story of filthy atrocities in the paper. Then suppose that something turns up suggesting that the story might not be quite true, or not quite so bad as it was made out. Is one’s first feeling, “Thank God, even they aren’t quite so bad as that,” or is it a feeling of disappointment, and even a determination to cling to the first story for the sheer pleasure of thinking your enemies are as bad as possible? If it is the second then it is, I am afraid, the first step in a process which, if followed to the end, will make us into devils. You see, one is beginning to wish that black was a little blacker. If we give that wish its head, later on we shall wish to see grey as black, and then to see white itself as black. Finally we shall insist on seeing everything — God and our friends and ourselves included — as bad, and not be able to stop doing it: we shall be fixed for ever in a universe of pure hatred.
                                Words to keep in mind here moving forward.

Comment