Serving money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serving money

We all know the verse - you cannot serve both God and money. To you, what does "serving money" look like in practical terms?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Paul, in Romans 12, showed that service to God consisted of (or was demonstrated through) service to one another.

In such a framework, any action to gain money from people with deceptive assertion that you are helping them -- such behavior would be serving money instead of God.

Anyone driven to make money as their goal in life while considering God only as a way to make money -- that would be an example.

There are less blatant examples that should also qualify under this slavery to money.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      We all know the verse - you cannot serve both God and money. To you, what does "serving money" look like in practical terms?
      The key, I think, is in the fact that the love of money is the root of all evil. That, of course, often gets misquoted leaving out the "the love of". If our primary goal is to get rich, especially at the cost of our main mission, we have made a very bad choice.

1 Timothy 6:10 King James Version (KJV) For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Do the VERSE tags work?

Scripture Verse: 1 Timothy 6:10 King James Version (KJV)

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

© Copyright Original Source

WOW!!!!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Interesting the way the ESV renders that...

Scripture Verse: 1 Timothy 6:10 English Standard Version (ESV)

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"The love of money" is indeed a good way to describe serving money. I would mention also the desire to be rich:

"But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction." (1 Timothy 6:9)

Blessings,
          Lee
          "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
            "The love of money" is indeed a good way to describe serving money. I would mention also the desire to be rich:

"But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction." (1 Timothy 6:9)

Blessings,
            Lee
            And I don't think there's anything wrong with being rich. Jesus had rich friends. It's when that "being rich" is our goal (or our god) rather than an outcome of the Blessings of God for our faithfulness to Him.

Comment

I was hoping to focus on what Jesus said rather than Paul, but even just going by Jesus' words only, we certainly couldn't conclude that money is inherently a bad thing as he did command us to use worldly wealth to gain friends for ourselves (as opposed to doing the equivalent of building bigger barns for ourselves).

Having said that... I once read a writer who pointed out that the haste with which we point out "it's the love of money, not money itself" that's the root of all evil suggests that we may need to take more heed than we think.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I was hoping to focus on what Jesus said rather than Paul, but even just going by Jesus' words only, we certainly couldn't conclude that money is inherently a bad thing as he did command us to use worldly wealth to gain friends for ourselves (as opposed to doing the equivalent of building bigger barns for ourselves).
                Are the parts of the Bible containing the words of Paul any less inspired than the parts containing the words of Christ?

Having said that... I once read a writer who pointed out that the haste with which we point out "it's the love of money, not money itself" that's the root of all evil suggests that we may need to take more heed than we think.
                I think it's a wee tad disingenuous to assume it's "with haste" that Paul's words to Timothy are cited.... it's a rather obvious reference directly to the subject. Especially since, in my case, my citation of the scripture included the commentary - "...If our primary goal is to get rich, especially at the cost of our main mission, we have made a very bad choice."

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Are the parts of the Bible containing the words of Paul any less inspired than the parts containing the words of Christ?
                  No, of course not; I just wanted to focus on the exegesis of that specific verse.

I think it's a wee tad disingenuous to assume it's "with haste" that Paul's words to Timothy are cited.... it's a rather obvious reference directly to the subject.
                  This wasn't aimed at you. The "with haste" was a direct quote from the book I had (but don't have anymore) who thought that Christians in general were too dismissive of the idea that they might in fact be lovers of money. Unfortunately, that's about the only part of the quote I actually remember; but it's just something that's stuck with me for whatever reason.

Comment

No, of course not; I just wanted to focus on the exegesis of that specific verse.

This wasn't aimed at you. The "with haste" was a direct quote from the book I had (but don't have anymore) who thought that Christians in general were too dismissive of the idea that they might in fact be lovers of money.
                    I have often said, "show me your checkbook and your calendar, and I'll tell you where your priorities lie".

Unfortunately, that's about the only part of the quote I actually remember; but it's just something that's stuck with me for whatever reason.
                    Well, to the extreme, we have the prosperity preachers...

Comment

I don't even have a checkbook any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I don't even have a checkbook any more.
                        I do - but almost never ever write a check. I haven't reordered new checks since... um.... 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I do - but almost never ever write a check. I haven't reordered new checks since... um.... 2006.
                          Yeah, I think I got some in 2009 when I changed addresses. I keep a couple in my wallet just in case, but never use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Yeah, I think I got some in 2009 when I changed addresses. I keep a couple in my wallet just in case, but never use them.
                            The only time I've used them recently was when my oldest daughter, George, (who doesn't have a checking account) needed to pay rent, and her landlord would ONLY accept checks. She gave me the money, I deposited it in my account, and wrote the check to him in her name.

Yeah, I had to think, "OK... writing a check... I know I can do this...."

Comment

In practical terms, "serving money" is being more concerned about making money and/or finances than with serving God. When there's a conflict between the two, which priority wins out?
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment