Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cerealman the conflicted one

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    If the earth were a smooth spheroid, it would be covered entirely by water to a depth of approximately 2.6km.
    Since the Earth is an oblate spheroid, how would that impact the water's depth a) at the equator and b) at the poles? For grins, let's add the impact of the Earth's rotation and the moon.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Since the Earth is an oblate spheroid, how would that impact the water's depth a) at the equator and b) at the poles? For grins, let's add the impact of the Earth's rotation and the moon.
    Good question. The polar diameter is about 7900 miles and the equatorial diameter is about 27 miles more, the difference being about 1:290. That difference already takes account of the earth’s rotation. Water depth would differ according to the same ratio, shallower at the poles. The tides would be very similar in range to those now seen in the large oceans.

To approximately calculate the oblateness of the earth from first principles you would first have to calculate the elastic modulus of the whole earth from your knowledge of the earth’s construction – I don’t think this has ever been done, by anyone, least of all, by firstfloor.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerealman View Post
    Yeah I was reading it along bit by bit while responding to everyone.I do know words can get lost in translation and if there's an inclination that it happened then really that's all I need on that subject.
    So what are your other concerns? It seems like there is something more that you're hesitating to say.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So as most you have probably known me since I was maybe 16ish or so when I joined this site one boring summer and I've now grown into the amazing CerealMAN.Since joining this site and growing up(22 now) I've become more and more agnostic and have for the most part lost faith in Christianity.
    Now for me personally it wasn't something like "oh he didn't answer me in my time of need",but more of a problem I see with Human history vs Biblical Human history. Basically how we all came to be and what not.

Not that this is recent or anything I've felt like this since basically going to college.I'm also more of an analytical person so for me I care more for the history than say a miracle(though I guess that is important in this aspect) in convincing me.

So there are a few topics I just wanna talk over:
    The accuracy of the jews being slaves in Egypt
    "The Earth is flat" even though honestly for me, this isn't a big one just something I'd like to know more on.
    The flood;this one for me I believe the writers were talking about a local flood which from their perspective could be seen as "global".

So yeah let's get to talking.If you're one of those gumpy folks regardless of where you stand, don't even bother commenting.
    I believe there is a difference between the the problems of the ancient perspective in ancient scriptures as to what is God, or whether God exists or not. I believe that the human view could not be a reliable witness at any time in history as to the nature of God nor whether God exists or not, but to believe in God you have to move on and leave ancient world views in the past. I believe that the nature of God has spiritually evolved along with our knowledge of the nature of our physical existence in a positive realistic way. Those that cling to ancient world views give God a bad image.

Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: CP

If you have a problem with the establishment, you should know better than argue moderation in a thread - there is a venue provided for that purpose. Please see the note that accompanies this, and all other, warnings.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-04-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hi, cerealman! Have you read a Case for Christ? Or done some research at www.christianthinktank.com? Remember that the truth of Christianity hinges on the Resurrection of Jesus, not inerrancy.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”
    Psalm 96:10: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...”
    Are these simply stating the Earth is planted as is in orbit or that the Earth is flat in relation to these verses?For me personally I've sided with the first.
    STM that the point is not the motionlessness of the Earth, but the Majesty of God its Creator. The example chosen for making the point may be flawed and inaccurate, but the theological lesson suggested by it, stands.

The observations about the natural world are not for the sake of imparting lessons about the natural world, but for exciting reverence for God in the reader and hearer.

Faith
    XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    True fair enough. The biggest thing to me personally, is the whole Israelite slaves in Egypt.Was the number truly 600k? How come others at the time(egyptians) did not keep track of that many slaves at such a scale?
    I have a theory about this, and it is only my theory (as far as I know) so please don’t give it any more weight than that.

IMO, the large numbers in Exodus 12.40, Numbers 1 & Numbers 26 are theological constructions. They are not to be taken as historically or logistically accurate population statistics. And they are not intended to be historically counts of the adult population of Israel at those times.
    Instead, I think the numbers have this function: to say that Israel had grown very greatly since Jacob and his descendants came down to Egypt, so that the greatness of this increase - from 70 people to over 600,000 - might be evidence of the greatness and faithfulness of Israel’s God.

If the figure is at all realistic, maybe it comes from the writer’s own age, and is a retrojection, a number from the writer’s own time cast back upon that ancient population, so as to identify the writer’s Israel with that ancient population.

Logistically, the entire figure for the Exodus Israelites seems to be closer to 2,000,000, since it does not include women and children. And that figure seems to raise logistical difficulties.

If anything, this theory - which must surely have been suggested already - oversimplifies the issue, since the text as we have it shows signs of being composite.

I’m agnostic about the historicity of the Exodus. IMO the accounts of it are Israelite foundation-legends, not unlike the legends and myths of Greece, except that the Biblical texts are “God-breathed”.
    Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 05-07-2019 at 09:55 PM.